Author Topic: Papayas are simply weird!  (Read 4119 times)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Papayas are simply weird!
« on: May 23, 2016, 08:29:37 PM »

Papaya fruits are at the bottom of my favorite fruit list. In fact they're not even on the list. I don't care for their taste, but I do eat them in fruit salads probably because when I was a kid my grandmother told me to eat them. She said they were very good for the body and would prevent bad diseases. Then she died...of cancer! But I still try the eat them. Maybe out of guilt.

Anyway, my problem is that I can't seem to grow them. I more or less successfully grow all sorts of fruits, but my papaya trees will grow up maybe three or four feet and then mysteriously die. One did grow about 30 feet tall, down my the river. But it only put out a few skinny malformed fruit.

Finally somebody told me to dig a big hole, add lots of compost, plant 10 or so seeds, and then choose the one that's growing especially well and pull up the others. And as the tree is growing pour the 15-15-15 to them. I don't use commercial fertilizers here on my place, but I followed that seeming good advice. Now I have two beautiful Papaya trees, maybe 15 or 20 feet tall. But, all I am growing are two beautiful tall trees with lots of wonderfully deep green leaves on them. (I guess all that nitrogen works?) The trees flower well and a few baby fruits do form, but they just turn yellow and fall off.

BUT, here's the mystery for me. As I take my walks around about I often will see a tree someone has planted in the far corner of their place, tall and green, full of fruit in various stages of ripening, but obviously completely ignored and uncared for. Then on the side of the roads I see nice wild volunteer papaya trees, with large fruits, perhaps planted by some bird who took a dump there. How does that happen??

But, the papaya tree that takes the award is in town beside a little store. It's a very healthy large tree absolutely loaded with big melons...mysteriously growing out of a small crack in a very large rock. No soil, no fertilizer, no nothing.... but rock! And, I can't grow papayas?

Once I heard a Japanese "master gardener" say that successful gardening is more of a mental activity than just a physical one. Maybe that's my  problem with papayas. I just don't like them.

Still, I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Papayas are simply weird!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »
That is very peculiar Doug - you being in perfect Papaya weather and all.  I can't really advise except maybe
cut the fertilizing way back and see what happens.  Could it be the drainage????  How about a picture of the tree and
what it looks like around the base of the plant.....

Gary

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:11:43 PM »
.mysteriously growing out of a small crack in a very large rock. No soil, no fertilizer, no nothing.... but rock!
minerals (rock), water, sun.

yeah, i dont use fertilizer on papaya. actually, i dont use chemical at all
fish emulsion and coffee grounds seem to make mine happy.

the 1 thing papaya really dont like is the roots always being wet.
kinda moist is OK, but they are certainly sensitive to root-rot
i use a lot of compost and mulch

Floridafruit

• St Petersburg, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 05:54:06 PM »

Papaya fruits are at the bottom of my favorite fruit list. In fact they're not even on the list. I don't care for their taste, but I do eat them in fruit salads probably because when I was a kid my grandmother told me to eat them. She said they were very good for the body and would prevent bad diseases. Then she died...of cancer! But I still try the eat them. Maybe out of guilt.

Anyway, my problem is that I can't seem to grow them. I more or less successfully grow all sorts of fruits, but my papaya trees will grow up maybe three or four feet and then mysteriously die. One did grow about 30 feet tall, down my the river. But it only put out a few skinny malformed fruit.

Finally somebody told me to dig a big hole, add lots of compost, plant 10 or so seeds, and then choose the one that's growing especially well and pull up the others. And as the tree is growing pour the 15-15-15 to them. I don't use commercial fertilizers here on my place, but I followed that seeming good advice. Now I have two beautiful Papaya trees, maybe 15 or 20 feet tall. But, all I am growing are two beautiful tall trees with lots of wonderfully deep green leaves on them. (I guess all that nitrogen works?) The trees flower well and a few baby fruits do form, but they just turn yellow and fall off.

BUT, here's the mystery for me. As I take my walks around about I often will see a tree someone has planted in the far corner of their place, tall and green, full of fruit in various stages of ripening, but obviously completely ignored and uncared for. Then on the side of the roads I see nice wild volunteer papaya trees, with large fruits, perhaps planted by some bird who took a dump there. How does that happen??

But, the papaya tree that takes the award is in town beside a little store. It's a very healthy large tree absolutely loaded with big melons...mysteriously growing out of a small crack in a very large rock. No soil, no fertilizer, no nothing.... but rock! And, I can't grow papayas?

Once I heard a Japanese "master gardener" say that successful gardening is more of a mental activity than just a physical one. Maybe that's my  problem with papayas. I just don't like them.

Still, I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

If you don't care for the taste, try what my wife does. My wife cuts it green and picks papaya early. She pickles it with white vinegar along with carrot, cucumber and ginger then adds chilli peppers to make a delicious vegetarian papaya salad. 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 06:01:10 PM »
Pickled green papaya--I would guess that it doesn't have much nutritional value.
John

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
Pickled green papaya--I would guess that it doesn't have much nutritional value.

not sure about minerals etc... but its still great for digestion.

Floridafruit

• St Petersburg, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 06:39:15 PM »
Green papaya, carrot, cucumber and ginger doesn't have nutritional value? In parts of Asia, people enjoy cutting papaya and mango a little green. Green papaya is used like a vegatable. 

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/green-papaya-raw-226692294?v2=false

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/08/tips-for-buying-and-using-green-papaya.html

PahoaJo

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 03:25:15 AM »
I don't really care for papayas either.  If they are in a smoothie or a fruit salad with other fruits, that's ok.  I think they just have a weird taste on their own imo.  But my chickens love them! And they plant them for me.  ;D Seriously, I have several papaya trees that are doing great that the chickens "planted".  Maybe you need some chickens to help you out.  ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 05:01:24 AM »
My guess is that you over fertilized them. Triple 15 is too potent. But if you don't like papayas why do you really care?
Oscar

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 08:26:53 AM »
But if you don't like papayas why do you really care?

Good question! I think they are such beautiful plants, especially with those big melons dangling in abundance. I suppose it's just the mystery of why I have a problem here trying to grow them. But, I do love to see the toucans and other beautiful birds enjoying them.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 08:49:22 AM »
i love them.
i have to eat at least 1 per week.
they are great for the gut.
they have enzymes that break down proteins,
and they remove toxins from the digestive tract.

ive tasted several varieties.
Mexican types have an unpleasant musky smell
but a good tree ripened carrib red is awesome.
strawberry papaya. and some Hawaiian types are really good.
you have to wait till its almost completely yellow and soft.

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 10:03:55 AM »
A papaya tree grown right infront of my home gave us more than 70 kg of fruit without any fertilization. I love how its first harvest was only after 9 months of growing from seed. The seed was not even planted but rather just discarded in a corner. Its sad that it was infested by mealy bugs and will have to be taken down soon. Good thing I have seedlings from its fruits and will grow them again.
-Nakul

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 10:09:08 AM »
Your grandmother was absolutely right, papayas have proven medicinal values (both in the flesh and the seeds), and the fruit is very good for your immune system. But that's hardly fair to expect occasional ingestion of one food to prevent all ills - cancer can come from a lot of things. If she had long-term stress in her life, was repeatedly exposed to chemicals/carcinogens, had a genetic predisposition, etc.... she could still get sick. The more things you add to your daily life that help combat that risk though, the better. Maybe without her frequent papaya eating she would have passed 10 or 20 years earlier from cancer - it is hard to know. But they absolutely do help the immune system to do what it needs to do.

I used to think like you about papayas, but now I appreciate them a lot more. I realized that a lot of the problem is eating the wrong variety, and eating them when they are overripe and stinky. Papayas are like fish - if they smell or taste really strong, they are not good anymore. I'm not terribly familiar with varieties yet, unfortunately, but I do know that here in the US, the yellow ones (often from Guatemala) are not GMO, and have a mild melon flavor that is sweet and a bit crisp, without any of the stinky feet factor when ideally ripe. I stick to yellow varieties that are not GMO.

If you are growing papaya specifically for their health benefits, it does not make sense then to add any kind of chemical fertilizer that is a carcinogen to the plant or to your land. Be careful to use only organic and safe fertilizers on your land and plants. But consider that often fertilizing a plant in the way that you have is only going to serve to feed its vegetative growth, not really help its fruit - hence why it looks so pretty but may not really produce lots of great fruit as a result.

Here in South Florida, papayas grow wild all the time. The soil is terrible with a very high PH, and especially down here in the Florida Keys we have months of drought every year, then hordes of rain. Plus, of course the storms, which make us susceptible to a lot of wind. Nonetheless, they are very happy here when left alone. They do NOT respond well to a lot of intervention - doing anything that harms their roots, or changing much of the conditions for them, easily kills them off. To me, that is not weird. Plants are all different, like animal species are all different. And many thrive much better when allowed to grow on their own without much human intervention to mess things up for them. The most I do is to intervene when starting the seeds, to give them the best chance of sprouting and surviving. After selecting the strongest ones, and giving them a little water to get through the first drought, I try to stay out of it. I'm grateful for a species that does not require so much fuss, given how many need you to be on them every minute to make sure they survive and fruit successfully!
I say once you get a few strong seedlings going in an area with good drainage where they won't get flooded or overwatered, and if anything where the PH is on the higher side rather than too low, leave them alone and see how they do. Probably you'll have better results, and you'll certainly have more time on your hands!

Incidentally, though, we have had a number of threads talking about the health benefits of various fruits and vegetables, and if you are interested in plants with strong benefits, or specifically cancer-fighting plants, there are quite a few that are sort of medicinal miracles that you would be able to grow in your climate. Papaya is great, but there are others that are even stronger, and perhaps if you sample around you'll find species that you like better taste-wise.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »
But if you don't like papayas why do you really care?

Good question! I think they are such beautiful plants, especially with those big melons dangling in abundance. I suppose it's just the mystery of why I have a problem here trying to grow them. But, I do love to see the toucans and other beautiful birds enjoying them.
Some times it's just a matter of bad luck and you just need to persist to be succesful. I remember from very long ago that it took me 4 attempts before i could succesfully grow carrots. I thought that carrots was something extremely hard to grow. ;D  But nothing of the kind.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 06:22:29 PM »
They pop up all over here like weeds, from seeds dropped by people, or in trash piles.

Papaya has a relatively higher need for boron  iron Calcium .   so adding minors/minerals may be more important than the macros ( NPK )   and as mentioned,  they do not like their feet wet.

I do not care for Papaya as a fruit eaten out of hand,    I will eat it if its included in a fruit salad  not solo,   but I do love it in shakes,  and as dried fruit, its like candy.

Papaya seeds are a very to remove parasites,  and the leaves are excellent for Dengue,  I suspect they would work well for Zika, and Chikunguya also.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 10:39:38 PM »
They don't like acid soils. I lived in a place with very sandy soil where the seed germinated readily but the seedlings didn't last long. Then I found out that they like a pH of up to 8. So I dug a a very large hole about a metre deep, filled it with wood ash, covered it with soil and planted the seed in it. It wasn't long and I was getting healthy large fruit. The pH had been 5.6 but I didn't get it tested where I later added the ash. Interestingly, pineapples grew and fruited like crazy in the pH5.6 soil.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 11:01:23 PM »
They don't like acid soils. I lived in a place with very sandy soil where the seed germinated readily but the seedlings didn't last long. Then I found out that they like a pH of up to 8. So I dug a a very large hole about a metre deep, filled it with wood ash, covered it with soil and planted the seed in it. It wasn't long and I was getting healthy large fruit. The pH had been 5.6 but I didn't get it tested where I later added the ash. Interestingly, pineapples grew and fruited like crazy in the pH5.6 soil.

Interesting! Maybe I haven't been giving them enough lime. Pineapples, and everything else but cashews (I think it's the altitude in that case), grow "like crazy" here. That still doesn't explain to me why so many papaya trees I see around here are so prolific and virtually on their own without any care. But, I start with some lime and ashes tomorrow. Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk