Author Topic: My 2012 Post Fairchild Festival "Mango Diet"  (Read 10622 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
My 2012 Post Fairchild Festival "Mango Diet"
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »
Last year I posted notes on gardenweb regarding my post mango festival feast.  Here I do the same.  Mangoes I bought include:

Carabao
Nam doc Mai (#4 it appears)
Borsha
Step
Martian Pride
Langra Banarsi
Zill
Bullock Heart
Mesk
Mammou
Royal
Brahm Kai Mau
Sig sibut
Pills bury
Beverley
Duncan

This list probably isn't as long as the prior day's feast at Harry's which I will add to that thread later.  In total, I brought 34 mangoes back to my hotel.

So far I've eaten the caraboo.  It was 85% ripe but still good.  Tangy and smooth.  I have quite a few of them as they are alleged to be sweet so took an early plunge.  There were no ivory mangoes availa le this year so caraboo was my make up one.  I focused on south east Asian mangoes where known as these appear to hold more promise for Bermuda than any other.

Will post taste experiences over the next week or two as they ripen.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:22:17 PM by Future »

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: My 2012 Post Fairchild Festival "Mango Diet"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:24:59 AM »
Lucky fellow, that is quite an exotic bounty, btw, is Martian Pride a green style mango? ;D

cant wait to taste vicariously,
-Ethan

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:19:48 AM »
Martian Pride seems to be yellowing up.  I just realized my list is not complete so just updated it.  Had another bag I missed!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:25:43 AM by Future »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 02:42:31 PM »
You must have done a better job than I of elbowing your way to the Fairchild mangos.  I kept waiting for a lull.........

The Mesk I tasted at the tasting table was pleasant, but a bit more tart than I prefer.   I'm wondering if it was representative as far as ripeness.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 03:47:05 PM »
Ate another caraboo this morning and this one was more ripe.  The citrusy taste compliments the sweetness of this one well.  A small smooth mango with big taste.  I love the small seed size which makes it deceptively filling.

I also added a Martian pride for breakfast.  This yellow variety is a little gem.  Almost jelly like flesh with a tangy aftertaste that chases the sweetness quiet nicely.  Similar, with a small seed.  MP works for me.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »
Ate another caraboo this morning and this one was more ripe.  The citrusy taste compliments the sweetness of this one well.  A small smooth mango with big taste.  I love the small seed size which makes it deceptively filling.

I also added a Martian pride for breakfast.  This yellow variety is a little gem. Almost jelly like flesh with a tangy aftertaste that chases the sweetness quiet nicely.  Similar, with a small seed.  MP works for me.
Sounds like a description of an overripe mango.  "Jelly" is never a good term when describing a mango...
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 06:09:06 PM »
I was in SoFl this week and I ate over 40 varieties. I brought some home and I had a nice package waiting for me went I got to La Habra, THANK YOU!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 09:26:32 PM »
Excuse my newbie terminology.  What I meant to describe was the firmness of the flesh combined with very little fibre.  Having eaten lots of fibre rich mangoes in my life, the texture comes across more as a jelly, albeit a very firm one.  Hope that clarifies.

Had another caraboo today.  These are growing on me.

I also added a Martian pride for breakfast.  This yellow variety is a little gem. Almost jelly like flesh with a tangy aftertaste that chases the sweetness quiet nicely.  Similar, with a small seed.  MP works for me.
Sounds like a description of an overripe mango.  "Jelly" is never a good term when describing a mango...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
I was in SoFl this week and I ate over 40 varieties.

Impressive.  Even counting the tastes I was gifted by King Harry, I only count 28 varieties.  And that reminds me...I don't think I got a seed from the soon to be famous working titled harrie Carrie.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:33:12 AM »
Excuse my newbie terminology.  What I meant to describe was the firmness of the flesh combined with very little fibre.  Having eaten lots of fibre rich mangoes in my life, the texture comes across more as a jelly, albeit a very firm one.  Hope that clarifies.

Had another caraboo today.  These are growing on me.

No problem and meant no disrespect...just so you know what I meant (and if you already know I apologize)...when a mango gets overripe the flesh from the seed out starts to get translucent, or jelly-like (you may have heard the term "jelly seed" used before...this can often occur in certain varieties which have a better tendency to do this of just from being overripe).  Thats what I thought you are referring to.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 02:32:08 AM »

I also added a Martian pride for breakfast.  This yellow variety is a little gem.  Almost jelly like flesh with a tangy aftertaste that chases the sweetness quiet nicely.  Similar, with a small seed.  MP works for me.

Think you are probably referring to Carabao, a variety from Phillippines?
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 07:58:39 PM »
@bsb: noted and yes, I had seen that written hence see the potential confusion.

@fruitlover: you are correct.  A closer look and the person writes a that could easily look like an o.  I have enough of them to check :).  Still have 6 more to eat!

Ate my only Langra Banarsi this eve after the longest drive I have ever made (266 miles, more than 12 times the length of my entire country).  It had a supermarket taste to it and I don't mean that it a bad way.  It wasn't super sweet but very tangy.  Very little fibre but nothing that wowed me on the taste.  If I had nothing else, these would be great.  But with others next to it, this just seems average.  Oh and one more thing, the seed was small compared to the size of the fruit, making for lots to eat.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:22:42 PM by Future »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »
i simply hate an over ripe mango!

i seem to eat all mangoes a bit under ripe.

I like to get a good taste of each mangoes turpenes and tartness.

some are nicer than other early of course

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »
Borsha was up to bat this morning.  It put on a orangy-pinkish blush in the last day or two.  They smell and feel said it was time and the look sealed the deal.  From the time I cut into the skin, an amazing aroma floated up from fruit.  Wow.  I don't recall such a floral smell a mango.  The flesh did not disappoint.  Silky smooth, with a near perfect balance of sweetness and acidity.  The combination of smell, taste and texture makes this the best of all the ones I have tasted in the last week.  And I only bought one....

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 10:13:12 PM »
Nam Doc Mai #1 got its turn for dinner.  The skin was blackening to the point where some of the inside was affected, but not much.  This is a very nice mango.  Smooth, just sweet enough and juicy.   I could eat these all day.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 11:37:18 PM »
Today I are my first and only Royal.  Similar to Borsha, it has a decent smell once cut.  Not as intense but noticeable.  This the smallest mango of the bunch and that alone is stacked against it.  I don't mind small mangoes but inherently they must pack a big punch to get my attention.  Royal did not.  It is not that is was bad just nothing to grab my attention beyond the floral smell.  Decent enough but nothing to write home about.

Meanwhile I also devoured another nam doc Mai and an unnamed variety.  Malik's looks like it may be worth a taste tommorow.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »
This morning I ate My only Bullock Heart.  This one also threw quite a decent floral tone once cut.  It was juicy but not as sweet as I would have enjoyed.  A decent fibre free mango that only a mango snob would not enjoy.

Pillsbury:  my wife ate the pillsbury and  I only got a small piece.  It was ok, mango store sort of tangy flavour.  Good mango for such a large size.

For lunch I crunched on a Mesk.  I have eaten so many with yellow flesh that I get surprised now when I see orange flesh when cutting mangoes open.  The Mesk was tidy.  Seed larger than I would want for scuba small mango though.  Fibreless with a rich taste.

Lastly today I crushed a Mallika mango.  Spicy rich taste, rich orange flesh.  Fibre free.  A delight to eat even though not as sweet as others.  The richness and spicy ness made the difference.

My wife just ate the Step mango so I only got a piece of that.  She devoured it faster than I could type this message.  There is just skin and seed left.  She raved about it saying after this series of mango tastings, she will not be able to bring herself to buy another store bought mango.

Nuff said.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
Future
If you get to try Lemon Zest, Pickering and Coconut Cream, you will think you died and are went to Mango Heaven...
FGM 
FloridaGreenMan

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 09:25:33 PM »
FGM:

Lemon Zest I did try at Harry's.  It was not fully ripe but I still enjoyed it and can see the potential.

Pickering we also shared but that one I do not remember the taste...lost is a sea of memories.

Coconut Cream: duly noted and a target for my 2013 trip.  I am giving you a year's notice of a visit :)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 09:32:36 PM »
Sig sibut was the latest participant in my enjoyment of mango delights.  Large mango with very bright yellow flesh when cut.  Looks delightful and taste and texture did not disappoint.  I noticed a turpentine-like smell when first cut which was a bit off putting.  Tasted it in the flesh that clung to the skin (which I always eat first).  But it did not take away from the main course at all.  If fact, it added a twist to the taste.  This is a hefty mango with ample flesh and while not overly sweet, could definitely carry the day, any day.  Very good taste for such a large one.

Tommorow I travel to the DR so will take a break from the mango tasting and look to pick up where I left off on the 27th.  Have some green ones still to ripen by then.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »
Before departing for the DR today, I are a few mangoes for breakfast.  First there was the Mammou.  This mango was both green but also half shriveled on one end.  I was cutting it open more so to save seed than with the expectations of eating it.  What a surprise I had when not only was it in edible shape, but still under ripe, unspoiled and very very sweet.  It reminded me of....Wait for it....Ivory.

Even in its not fully ripened state, this yellow fleshed mango came close to top of the list.  I am putting it in the#2 spot under the fully ripened Borsha but clearly, this would be my winner in an even Steven contest of ripened mangoes. 

Simply sickly sweet.

I also dusted off Beverley.  This was an orange fleshed big one with a decent rich taste.  Following mammou is a tough act to follow but I did enjoy the bev.

I brought some Brahm Kai Mau with me among one or two others.  More to come!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »
This morning I ate My only Bullock Heart.  This one also threw quite a decent floral tone once cut.  It was juicy but not as sweet as I would have enjoyed.  A decent fibre free mango that only a mango snob would not enjoy.

Pillsbury:  my wife ate the pillsbury and  I only got a small piece.  It was ok, mango store sort of tangy flavour.  Good mango for such a large size.

For lunch I crunched on a Mesk.  I have eaten so many with yellow flesh that I get surprised now when I see orange flesh when cutting mangoes open.  The Mesk was tidy.  Seed larger than I would want for scuba small mango though.  Fibreless with a rich taste.

Lastly today I crushed a Mallika mango.  Spicy rich taste, rich orange flesh.  Fibre free.  A delight to eat even though not as sweet as others.  The richness and spicy ness made the difference.

My wife just ate the Step mango so I only got a piece of that.  She devoured it faster than I could type this message.  There is just skin and seed left.  She raved about it saying after this series of mango tastings, she will not be able to bring herself to buy another store bought mango.

Nuff said.
Something is wrong here.  Mallika is not a "spicy" mango no matter how you look at it.  It is indeed a rich mango, creamy and juicy and should be very sweet.

As for the Step, where was it from?  I have never had a Step that I would say anything but "average" when describing it.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »
Hi Future, where are you getting all these strange sounding mango cultivars? I know it can't be Zill's because they don't sound like ice crem flavors!  ;)
BTW, i thought in the photo at Harry's place it said you were from Bermuda? Are you really from DR? Or is my memory failing me?
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
The "Mallika" I ha may be mixed up?  I bought it from a box when purchasing a tree at Pine Island nursery.  I did see another post here about tricky timing on eating and I am sure it had a picture that looked similar.  Will verify.

As for Step, note i didn't eat it per my post.  My wife described it as great.  I do have one more which hopefully won't be over ripe by the time I get to it.

Nuff said.
Something is wrong here.  Mallika is not a "spicy" mango no matter how you look at it.  It is indeed a rich mango, creamy and juicy and should be very sweet.

As for the Step, where was it from?  I have never had a Step that I would say anything but "average" when describing it.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
The "Mallika" I ha may be mixed up?  I bought it from a box when purchasing a tree at Pine Island nursery.  I did see another post here about tricky timing on eating and I am sure it had a picture that looked similar.  Will verify.

As for Step, note i didn't eat it per my post.  My wife described it as great.  I do have one more which hopefully won't be over ripe by the time I get to it.

Nuff said.

Can you post a picture of your Step.  Just curious to see if it is really a Step.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk