Author Topic: The perfect dwarf mango - Villaseņor  (Read 16701 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect dwarf mango - Villaseņor
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »
What a shame. I like turpy, piney, some call it a medicinal taste in some mangoes. I also like the non-turp magoes which you can call mild I guess.
If people gave turps a chance some would like them too. Kents are turpy? Never entered my mind when I ate them.

For  those who don't know....Mangoes trees are related to pine trees. Turpentine had been made from pine for centuries. So mangoes can get piney tastes and a piney sap that irritates some peoples skin. I always liked the smell of pine floor cleaners

Yes, they are both part of the kingdom Plantae. That is about as close as they are related.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »
Mild may be "perfect" for some people.  its all about personal taste.

there will probably never be a "perfect" mango, because of different preferences.  I would rather have a mild, sweet mango that  has a creamy texture, and nice aroma, than an intense variety that is grainy. I like Kent and Glenn which are have been labeled "mild".

and that's another point, mild to one person may be strong for another, I have even seen Keitts described as Mild, I wouldn't call those mild.

and what is it that classifies a variety as mild? just weak flavor, or low acidity? or low aroma? I mean you could have a variety that has good mango flavor, but may be low in acid and aroma, and to some that may be considered mild. then there are those that like that resin turpy flavor, and use that as the scale of what is mild or not.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »
Pines and mangoes are as distant from each other as humans and jellyfish.The ag. dept link that describes kents as turpsy looks like it didn't come through.There is popular prejudice in the market place here against anything with a hint of turpsiness which is also described as hydrocarbon taint and resinous aftertaste.Kent only has this quality (or lack of it near the skin).
The hunt for the perfect mango will never end.Farmers in the Bowen area of Qld have stopped looking decades ago.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 04:59:34 PM »
What a shame. I like turpy, piney, some call it a medicinal taste in some mangoes. I also like the non-turp magoes which you can call mild I guess.
If people gave turps a chance some would like them too. Kents are turpy? Never entered my mind when I ate them.

For  those who don't know....Mangoes trees are related to pine trees. Turpentine had been made from pine for centuries. So mangoes can get piney tastes and a piney sap that irritates some peoples skin. I always liked the smell of pine floor cleaners

Yes, they are both part of the kingdom Plantae. That is about as close as they are related.

It's the world according to Zand. HAHAHAHA
Oscar

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 07:03:26 PM »
If you all are going to grow fruit trees, you may want to learn a little botany.  ;D

Mango and poison ivy are both in the same family of plants: Anacardiaceae. This is just one grouping up from genus and species. Some of these can produce skin reactions, even to mango and/or cashew which is also in this family.

Pine trees, on the other hand, are gymnosperms (seed bearing, but not flower bearing>) Whereas mangoes are angiosperms (flower bearing.) This is one of the most major classifications distinctions in the plant kingdom.

Erica

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
That is stating the obvious erica and there was no 'you all' about it.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »
We do have a 'mango pine' native to nth Oz. Confusing, as its neither a mango, nor a pine. It has 4 common names, most of which are classics of the European New World common naming convention - 'Corned Beef Wood' is another of its names. Funnily enough, its not in the corned beef family.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »
From the CRFG, other than dwarf growth habit, doesn't sound that great when the flavor is described as "mild".

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mango.html

for Southern California it is, who knows how it performs in Miami.
For SoCal it is what?  My ling was from the Cali Rare Fruit Council's site...I would think/hope they are reporting info based on California production...in which case, I will reiterate, "mild"??

La Verne felt it was worthy to propagate so who cares what CRFG say. We don't like to overhype our tropicals fruits up here in California.
Oh please...you, as in Californians, don't hype and overhype your ability to grow Cherimoyas??

Nurseries propagate Tommy Atkins, does that make it a worthy mango for all to have in their yard?

Rob, you are all over the place....this thread is showing a side of you I didn't really expect.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 02:34:01 AM »
Mangos are in the Cashew Family, which includes Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac.
Har

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 10:43:27 AM »
I've never considered Kent as turpentiney but that is according to my personal taste buds. I have tasted very few varieties of mangoes and I am very confused about what is meant by "spicy"? Is spicy similar to turpentine? Being a novice with mangoes, I always felt that Alphonso tasted Piney, literally almost tasting like what pinesol smells like, but I actually do enjoy the flavor and aroma. Is this piney taste similar to what others call turpentine? Is turpentine similar or used interchangeably with spicy? Thanks in advance!
Simon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 10:27:43 PM »

lol. How did I miss this gem.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »

lol. How did I miss this gem.

That was a classic! Way to go Murahilin!
FloridaGreenMan

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
Always eat healthy ,it' s best for health.If any one wants to solve there health problem ,so they always eat fruits.I am always eat apple.

Well you know what they say, "An Apple a Day, Keeps the Doctor away"

by the way, Welcome to the forum  ;)
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

VillaSenor

• USA, CA, San Diego, zone 24
    • View Profile
    • Plants Comprehensive Horticulture & Landscape
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 10:50:13 PM »
I've grown this mango two blocks from the ocean in south Ocean Beach in San Diego.   Villa Senor is an excellent mild mango, beautiful sweet yummy mango flavor, beautifully strong skin(not a weak skin), beautiful orange flesh, low fiber, no diseases on the fruit, no disease on the leaves.  Light brown new growth.  I grafted two seedlings that I planted from seed from store bought mangos of whatever varieties, with the Villa Senor in the late 1990's.   The seedlings were about 7 years old already, didn't produce any worthwhile fruit as seedlings.   However, in 2009 I had them both taken out in due to redevelopment.  Bonita Creek Nursery has one of them, which they're using for scion propagation.   A super basic easy growing problem free mango with basic beautiful flavor. 
Where's the Villa Senor that's in the picture?
Let's get that propagated.  Let's do tissue culture to ramp up production quickly.

And with perhaps our new norm of more heat, "Enjoy The Heat, Grow Mangos"

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 11:15:02 PM »
I've grown this mango two blocks from the ocean in south Ocean Beach in San Diego.   Villa Senor is an excellent mild mango, beautiful sweet yummy mango flavor, beautifully strong skin(not a weak skin), beautiful orange flesh, low fiber, no diseases on the fruit, no disease on the leaves.  Light brown new growth.  I grafted two seedlings that I planted from seed from store bought mangos of whatever varieties, with the Villa Senor in the late 1990's.   The seedlings were about 7 years old already, didn't produce any worthwhile fruit as seedlings.   However, in 2009 I had them both taken out in due to redevelopment.  Bonita Creek Nursery has one of them, which they're using for scion propagation.   A super basic easy growing problem free mango with basic beautiful flavor. 
Where's the Villa Senor that's in the picture?
Let's get that propagated.  Let's do tissue culture to ramp up production quickly.

And with perhaps our new norm of more heat, "Enjoy The Heat, Grow Mangos"

Hummm....nice moniker. La Verne propagates Villaseņor. Cuban007 just purchased one. The tree in the picture is in Eagle Rock . We don't need to do tissue culture you can order one from armstrong nursery. There are better California varieties like Ott and Winters ( coincidently, I had Winters today, excellent). 

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2013, 08:06:36 PM »
Here is the elusive Villasenor mango in Eagle Rock. This is a late mango, as you can see at 800m above sea level.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »
Wow, beautiful tree and nicely manicured yard.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 08:58:21 PM »
[urlhttp://www.daff.qld.gov.au/26_18930.htm][/url]
Any hint of turps is the kiss of death and it is one of the reasons kent failed so badly here.While it was rejected wholeheartedly by the consumers the ag. authorities only acknowledged a bit of turpsiness near the skin as you can see in the link.Mild is definitely better in the eyes of the public than any type of turpentine or hydrocarbon taint.Some of the poorer tasting types are still sent from here to japan where they occupy the bottom of the market.Considering how much area was planted it probably won't take long for kent,keitt,palmer and brooks to be rare in teh market place.The odd thing is that these are highly fancied in other markets.

???  I thought they were related to poison oak.

umm, arent pines gymnosperms?

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »
Here is the elusive Villasenor mango in Eagle Rock. This is a late mango, as you can see at 800m above sea level.

Wow!! That's the perfect size mango for me...nicely shaped and look at ALL those mangoes on the tree!! Joe is that a good tasting mango? Gorgeous tree!!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »
WOW i dout that i will have it anytime in my life... What a beautifull tree!!!  ;D

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 10:32:20 AM »
Why is this rubbish about mangos being related to pine trees surfacing yet again!  They are both Life Forms and both in the Higher Plant Kingdom, and both are Vascular Plants, and that is the end of their relatedness.
Har

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
Why is this rubbish about mangos being related to pine trees surfacing yet again!  They are both Life Forms and both in the Higher Plant Kingdom, and both are Vascular Plants, and that is the end of their relatedness.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking. Mango have flowers, pines dont...
They split off at the "division" level, which only exists for special cases, like plants.