Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283664 times)

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #475 on: June 23, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »
Flavor grenade is the perfect description of both Fruit Punch and Pineapple Pleasure, both of which, in my opinion, are top 5 mangos.   
George

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 23, 2015, 10:08:04 PM »
Flavor grenade is the perfect description of both Fruit Punch and Pineapple Pleasure, both of which, in my opinion, are top 5 mangos.

Hi George

Flavor Grenade has been taking by Zaiger Genetics, Pluot Interspecific Plum .....and it's delicious right up there with those mangos you mention.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #477 on: June 24, 2015, 04:23:01 AM »
Thanks for all the great reviews Joe and Brett! Have you guys considered purchasing a refractometer? You guys already give wonderful detailed reviews and Brix readings would be awesome information to have! I'd share mine with you but alas, I'm in California.

Simon

Simon, I think you are way too obsessed with brix. Flavor intensity and complexity is what makes good mango. Brix is secondary issue. I'll try to describe Okrung flavor profile (some say sweetest mango known). Pour some sugar into water, add heavy dose of thickener, take it out of the dish, cut it into slices and serve. One accomplished grower here called it food for certain animals. Ouch!!

Durianlover, you are right that I am quite obsessed with Brix. It is easily obtained and has a definite value that is unbiased assuming you know how to take the readings properly. The Brix values are extremely valuable to me especially because I love sweet mangos and it is difficult for me to acquire many of the same varieties that are available in Florida.

Maybe this is just me but if there are two mangos of the same variety, say an Edwards, I would prefer to eat the mango with 21% Brix as opposed to the one with 18% Brix assuming they are both the same in all other aspects. The higher Brix tells me that the fruit was picked after hanging on the tree for a longer period of time and the fruit with the higher Brix probably came from a tree that was better taken care of or perhaps from an older tree.

Durianlover, the flavor profile is very important to me but just look at all the different threads, this one for example, that already talk about flavor profiles of many of the varieties of mango out there. How many threads describing mango flavors have info on Brix? Not many.

Many of the descriptions of the taste of the different Mango varieties say this mango was really sweet but how sweet was it really? What is sweet for one person may not necessarily be sweet for someone else. Sweetness is much to subjective without a Brix reading.

I am trying to further the hobby by encouraging others to provide additional information if possible. The more Brix readings we get, the more accurate the data set. After we get enough data points, perhaps we can say things like Kent Mango is not at full flavor unless it is harvested at 18% Brix. Or perhaps we can say that as Nam Doc Mi Mangos are sweeter when grown in Thailand vs California. This information could also be very valuable for the Agriculture industry when they finally decide to replace the Tommy Atkins mango.

Simon
Simon, i think you're right and brix reading is a valuable tool. But just one tool amongst others. Brix readings should be included in the ultimate mango list. (BTW this list is back up!) I thought there was a column for brix readings on the list but there isn't. That column should be added.
Oscar

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 24, 2015, 03:00:28 PM »
Had my 2nd Val-Carrie today. Juicy mango upon cutting to reveal a dense, orange, uniform flesh. It really does have a slight off taste to it but the sweetness makes it a very enjoyable experience. It also did have a mild chaulky flavor to it that I simply love in mangoes that do have them [ZINC, Starch etc]. The skin was brittle when fully ripe like with the Sweet Tart I had yesterday- actually, this while eating this mango it reminded me of Sweet Tart but not as decadent. Nonetheless, a very enjoyable and delicious mango.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 25, 2015, 09:42:15 AM »
Maha Chanok - Mango Review

Two years ago I bought a Maha Chanok tree from Excalibur Fruit Trees in Lake Worth, FL, and planted it. Yesterday I finally got to taste one. It's a beautiful fruit: phallic and curvy, yellow with the rosy blush of a chinook salmon, sparsely dotted with little black speckles ringed in hot neon pink. It has a pungent, intoxicating scent... like smelling a ripe Edward mango held by a sweaty man wearing cologne which mostly covers up his body odor.  When cut, the inside smelled "tart" and berry-like.

As for the flavor, it's very hard to describe. But l'll try:

There's a measured sweetness with a subacidic undertone like homemade cranberry sauce. The secondary layer of flavors is suave... sort of mellow like a Valencia Pride, smooth like a cantaloupe, and sunny like a tangelo. Some Nam Doc Mai-like honey taste. Classical mango flavors were present throughout and especially noticed near the thin seed. Underneath the skin is cola syrup -- subtle cinnamon-vanilla notes which give it a delicately spicy finish. The cola flavor was especially concentrated throughout the upper half inch of the mango, just below the stem ;D.   No resin taste.

Eating the second half, which I let ripen for several hours more, the flesh was softer. There was intense sweetness and a rich, creamy classical mango flavor. The tartness and subtle flavors were less noticeable.

Because of its sexy looks & remarkable scent, the uniqueness of the flavor profile, and the overall taste quality... my first impression of Maha Chanok is it that of an "outstanding" top tier mango. It's probably the best mango I have ever tasted.

I'd like to thank Harry Hausman and Richard Wilson who championed this mango and inspired me to plant it. These guys did extensive research and made a killer selection. I can now survive and even look forward to these muggy South Florida summers, so as long as the Maha Chanok tree blooms in my backyard. If the fruit gets better as the tree matures, I will be even happier than I am now.    :) :D ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:02:54 AM by BrettBorders »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: June 25, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »
Brett, I don't know about you.  First, you call Mahachanok "phallic."  The you say "it has a pungent, intoxicating scent...like smelling a ripe Edward mango held by a sweaty man wearing cologne which mostly covers up his body odor."
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 25, 2015, 10:58:18 AM »
Brett, I don't know about you.  First, you call Mahachanok "phallic."  The you say "it has a pungent, intoxicating scent...like smelling a ripe Edward mango held by a sweaty man wearing cologne which mostly covers up his body odor."

Hahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahaha
- Rob

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 25, 2015, 11:29:59 AM »
hhahahahahahahaahahahaha  ;D

Check out the "Greatest Father" at the far left of TropicalFruitForum.com's banner logo.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 25, 2015, 11:37:03 AM »

Dont forget his prior Venus description of tasting like "goddess nectar'.
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 25, 2015, 12:42:40 PM »
I like eating mango like the next guy..but these heavenly, out of body, and nearly always orgasmic experiences, masquerading as taste descriptons are so very entertaining.... :D

You lost me at phallic...
always longing for a JA Julie

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 25, 2015, 02:08:42 PM »

Two years ago I bought a Maha Chanok tree from Excalibur Fruit Trees in Lake Worth, FL, and planted it. Yesterday I finally got to taste one. It's a beautiful fruit: phallic and curvy, yellow with the rosy blush of a chinook salmon, sparsely dotted with little black speckles ringed in hot neon pink. It has a pungent, intoxicating scent... like smelling a ripe Edward mango held by a sweaty man wearing cologne which mostly covers up his body odor.  When cut, the inside smelled "tart" and berry-like.

There's a measured sweetness with a subacidic undertone like homemade cranberry sauce. The secondary layer of flavors is suave... sort of mellow like a Valencia Pride, smooth like a cantaloupe, and sunny like a tangelo. Some Nam Doc Mai-like honey taste. Classical mango flavors were present throughout and especially noticed near the thin seed. Underneath the skin is cola syrup -- subtle cinnamon-vanilla notes which give it a delicately spicy finish. The cola flavor was especially concentrated throughout the upper half inch of the mango, just below the stem ;D.   No resin taste.

Eating the second half, which I let ripen for several hours more, the flesh was softer. There was intense sweetness and a rich, creamy classical mango flavor. The tartness and subtle flavors were less noticeable.

Because of its sexy looks & remarkable scent, the uniqueness of the flavor profile, and the overall taste quality... my first impression of Maha Chanok is it that of an "outstanding" top tier mango. It's probably the best mango I have ever tasted.

I'd like to thank Harry Hausman and Richard Wilson who championed this mango and inspired me to plant it. These guys did extensive research and made a killer selection. I can now survive and even look forward to these muggy South Florida summers, so as long as the Maha Chanok tree blooms in my backyard. If the fruit gets better as the tree matures, I will be even happier than I am now.    :) :D ;D
Love your reviews Brett!!! Especially the part of the sweaty man wearing the cheap cologne!
 Keep wthem coming please!
El verde es vida!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 25, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »

Love your reviews Brett!!! Especially the part of the sweaty man wearing the cheap cologne!
 Keep wthem coming please!

Please don't encourage it.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #487 on: June 25, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »
I like eating mango like the next guy..but these heavenly, out of body, and nearly always orgasmic experiences, masquerading as taste descriptons are so very entertaining.... :D

You lost me at phallic...
At least he didn't say it tasted like Coca cola, 7 Up, fanta, or Dr. Pepper root beer.  So could've been worse. ;)
Oscar

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 25, 2015, 07:59:57 PM »
Brett,

Let the haters hate my friend.  Your descriptions are at a whole other level so keep them up.  On a side note, I happen to know that you can no longer find a maha in south florida.  Sheehan filled a u-haul with them after reading the phallus comparison and is greedily hoarding them. 
George

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 25, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
You mean he is greedily cuddling with them, running the skin through his mouth to get that goddess nectar, i mean cola syrup tastt.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 26, 2015, 10:31:40 AM »
Edgar - nice, sweet, dense bright yellow fleshed mango. I enjoyed it more than the Ugly Betty samples I got.

Coconut Cream - could be an off season this year from this source, but I found it to be oily and diluted. Only ate one side of it.

Fruit Punch - Yep. Flavor town. Mango over load after just eating one of the sides of it. Big, juicy, rich mango. Was surprised how much
                     fiber the seed had around it- almost East Indian proportions. My taste buds were shot after this mango and didn't feel
                     the need to eat anymore mangoes after this which is not a good thing. I just don't see myself having a mango that can
                     kill ones appetite after one fruit. I can however see my self eating much more Sweet Tarts over Fruit Punch.
F*ck squirrels and deers

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 26, 2015, 11:33:58 AM »
Hey Robbie glad you enjoyed the mangos

From Walter Zills place I tried the sweet tart which is spectacular, my favorite mango by far, followed by Orange Sherbert, talk about a super sweet mango, yum. Edgar had a strong but good taste. Ugly betty didntt stand out t me much at all. Valcarrie dependning on the mango some where good pieces were good others were bland.

Still have fruit punch seacrest and hatcher to try.

I have not tried lemon zest yet and need to find it, but my clear runner favorite mango right now is sweet tart, cant have enough with just one bite.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 26, 2015, 12:55:25 PM »
If you time the Seacrest right (not too ripe), I think you will be quite pleased. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 26, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »
I ate my first Dot a few days ago and tasted my first Edward today.  Dot was just about the sweetest and juiciest mango I've ever eaten.  The flesh was deep orange, and the flavor to me was peach-y, like canned peaches.  An excellent mango.

For me the flavor of Edward was identical to Kent.  I've always loved Kent, my favorite mango back in my earliest mango days (1970's) buying boxes of Mexican mangos at the Central Market in Los Angeles, so I'll pronounce Edward an excellent mango as well.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 27, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »
Hey Robbie glad you enjoyed the mangos

:D Nice meeting you that day at Zill. Sweet!!! You scored a Seacrest. That must have been the only one that day. Hope your enjoying the mangoes. Sweet Tart is awesome.
F*ck squirrels and deers

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #495 on: June 27, 2015, 12:58:41 PM »

I found your review thoroughly entertaining.  I appreciate your acknowledging me with thanks.  My response......I did nothing that any mango loving collector wouldn't have done in the same situation. 

I was fortunate to get my first Maha experience back in the mid-1990's and I have been singing its praises ever since.  My only regret was that I didn't take the opportunity to do my own grafting production and sales.  I missed a golden opportunity to make a few extra bucks.

One thing about your review that I did want to comment about. Your description of the "fragrance" of the mango.....or I guess some would say, "the smell" is not something that I have detected.  Our now banned forum member in Thailand, Bangkok, always said that the true Maha Chanok had "a smell."  Actually, I think he said that it stunk.  I have never expereinced this in the fruits I have eaten.  So, I am wondering if I have an inefective smeller or if you guys are having an olfactory hallucination.   ???
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 28, 2015, 06:14:54 PM »
Tasted Fruit Punch.  The name is appropriate and fits it well.  It has a powerful flavor with a pronounced spiciness.  I like it, but honestly I don't think it could ever be one of my favorites. 

The second Edward I ate had a different flavor than the first.  It was as if it were an altogether different mango variety. It did come from another location.  Whereas the first one reminded of Kent, the second one didn't taste like Kent at all.  It had a rich mango flavor with a hint of coconut.

I continue to be impressed with Lemon Zest, but have found PPK to be much more citrusy and tangy.  LZ is more balanced.

Now I hope to get my hands on Sweet Tart in coming days. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:17:19 PM by johnb51 »
John

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 29, 2015, 09:17:24 PM »
Ate a couple of Coconut Creams yesterday.  HOLY MOLY!! What a great tasting mango!  Distinct coconut taste, very juicy!  Very impressed.  My top two as of now are Sweet Tart and Coconut Cream

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 29, 2015, 10:15:20 PM »
Ate a couple of Coconut Creams yesterday.  HOLY MOLY!! What a great tasting mango!  Distinct coconut taste, very juicy!  Very impressed.  My top two as of now are Sweet Tart and Coconut Cream

I know, right.  You could put together a decent starting 5 with Zills lineup:

Sweet Tart
Coconut Cream
Fruit Punch
Pineapple Pleasure
Lemon Zest

Sounds like a team Phil Jackson would coach :o  ;)!
Walter has a few that are worthy of coming off the bench too.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 30, 2015, 09:12:01 AM »
Hey Brett,

To those teasing, its ok and perfectly legal now.... haha ; )   I liked your review and that MC specimen is pristine.