Author Topic: Dwarf pomegranate that doesn't suck?  (Read 1619 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Dwarf pomegranate that doesn't suck?
« on: April 07, 2019, 08:38:20 PM »
Does anybody know of a dwarf pomegranate whose fruit doesn't suck?

I have 3 dwarfs that I uses a very narrow hedge. They are the 'Red Lady' dwarfs from Florida Hill Nursery that I bought years ago. The plants are *beautiful*. Very short internode spacing and slow grow. They look full and lush and 'feathery' even in full AZ sun. And they are usually full of miniature pomegranates that hang like ornaments. I am incredibly happy with these plants....

... except for the flavor. The pomegranates are exceptionally hard seeded, arils are bitter with no balancing sweetness. In a word, they suck.

They are essentially inedible. So these plants are basically ornamental plants now. Not the worst thing in the world... but I think I can do better than that.

I would love to graft on a variety that has the same dwarf habit, but that has better fruit.

So: who knows of a dwarf variety with (verifiably) good fruit?
- Mark

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf pomegranate that doesn't suck?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 12:15:31 AM »
Nope, sorry, that's kind of the definition of a "dwarf pomegranate". You get tiny dwarf fruits.

However, the variety Parfianka (as well as many other hardy Russian varieties) grows to be smaller than most.

You can of course use skilled pruning to keep the bush as small as you want, as long as you are sure to keep up pruning every year.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
Nope, sorry, that's kind of the definition of a "dwarf pomegranate". You get tiny dwarf fruits.

That was not my question. I don't care if the fruit is small. I want to the fruits (whatever size they are) to be eating quality.

However, the variety Parfianka (as well as many other hardy Russian varieties) grows to be smaller than most.

You can of course use skilled pruning to keep the bush as small as you want, as long as you are sure to keep up pruning every year.
I do not find Parfianka to be a small grower. I have many grafted many varieties onto my large Wonderful bush: http://desertvalleyorchard.blogspot.com/p/frankenpomegranate.html

And again, that was not my question. I know I can prune to keep shape. I do a lot of pruning in my yard.

So the question stands: Is there a dwarf pomegranate that produces high eating quality fruit (i.e. doesn't suck).
- Mark

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »
No

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 11:55:24 AM »
I want to the fruits (whatever size they are) to be eating quality.
Dwarf pomegranates were not bred for eating quality.

There are a few varieties that have a more "dwarfed" growing habit but they are not dwarfed anywhere near to the extent of dwarf pomegranates.