Author Topic: Jackfruit - young flower getting mold  (Read 2302 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Jackfruit - young flower getting mold
« on: February 25, 2020, 11:21:02 PM »
I planted a Jackfruit that flowered for the first time last year and lost all 3 flowers (at different times) the same way, they got moldy and fell off.
It has flowered again this year and the first flower again got mold and fell off.
I looked it up and I am thinking perhaps Jackfruit Rhizopus rot.  I didn't remove the old flowers that dropped and I let some weeds grown under the tree.
If it is Jackfruit Rhizopus rot, does anyone have experience with this and how to manage it,  Also any best practices for fruiting Jackfruit.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit - young flower getting mold
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 11:24:58 PM »
Normal, probably male flowers dying/rotting

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »
Yes, it’s just male flowers. I really have not found any techniques to increase female flowers. Anecdotally my friend trimmer all his make flowers off and right afterwards a female flower was produced.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 07:53:21 AM »
I planted a Jackfruit that flowered for the first time last year and lost all 3 flowers (at different times) the same way, they got moldy and fell off.
It has flowered again this year and the first flower again got mold and fell off.
I looked it up and I am thinking perhaps Jackfruit Rhizopus rot.  I didn't remove the old flowers that dropped and I let some weeds grown under the tree.
If it is Jackfruit Rhizopus rot, does anyone have experience with this and how to manage it,  Also any best practices for fruiting Jackfruit.

Jackfruit trees start off producing male flowers; they fall off. Female flowers look different and do not fall off. My tree produced male flowers exclusively for a couple of years before it produced a fruit.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 01:35:17 AM »
Just wait, soon you'll have a surprise hanging on the tree...male flowers get mold and drop.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 08:18:52 PM »
I also had this and unfortunately I couldn't save the plant. Mold destroys everything in its path, so if you notice mold somewhere, you should get rid of it as soon as possible. It also negatively affects human health. I have a greenhouse and I keep some plants in the garage when it's cold outside. And then I discovered that some plants look bad and decided to find out the reason. So I found out that because there was mold on the walls in the garage, it spread to some plants and I couldn't save all the plants. I called a company that is engaged in professional remediation of mold and they helped me solve this problem. Also, they advised to insulate the walls of the garage so that the mold doesn't return.

This is an example of the new types of spammers we have to keep an eye out for.

mollyparsum

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 03:32:36 AM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 02:10:50 PM by JakeFruit »

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 05:30:23 AM »
That's a male flower which will get fungus and drop...no problem, just wait for a female flower, it won't take long.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk