Author Topic: Lychee grafted onto Longan?  (Read 54891 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Re: Lychee grafted onto Longan?
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 04:32:22 PM »
Rootstock is diamond river, there used to be mature tree removed by previous home owner when she sold the home, the root suckers keep coming back. I grafted Mauritius over it and it's been about 2 months plus so union must be well fused by now.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »
Rootstock is diamond river, there used to be mature tree removed by previous home owner when she sold the home, the root suckers keep coming back. I grafted Mauritius over it and it's been about 2 months plus so union must be well fused by now.

That is good to know. If the experiment is repeated by someone else it would be good to keep same rootstock and scion because lychees and longans are quite sensitive when grafting about compatibility between different cultivars, even when grafting within the same genus.
Oscar

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »
Update 6/23/15:

Clean push and another bud pushing. Let's see how fast it grows from here and how long it survives.

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 04:24:26 PM »
Great job Behl! I just grafted my Mauritius onto my longan a few days ago.  Hopefully, I get same result. Thanks for the update

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 05:10:03 PM »
Cool update Behl! I wonder what other varieties can be grafted onto this rootstock and also Kohala as it is a very vigorous grower. I'm going to try grafting Emperor onto my Kohala. I'm really hoping there will not be delayed incompatibility issues. I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on this thread.
Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »
I know sweetheart sucks in growth and then production, specially here in So. Cal. what are the top 2 lychees that do well and are excellent for our climate?

I would love to get my hands on them or their wood and graft onto the longan seedlings that I have in the ground.  the grafting seems like a success as of now. I am excited.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »
No Mai Tsze and Hanging Green are thought to do well here but I do not have confirmation of that yet. I've never had Hanging Green before but Dr Francis Zee told me it was a good quality Lychee. I've had plenty of NMZ in China and it is by far my favorite variety of Lychee. Both my trees are very tiny, about 18 inches tall so it's going to be a bit before I'll have scions or air layers available but I'll keep you updated.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2015, 11:18:33 PM »
Thanks Simon.  I would recommend you try grafting too. Make sure longan is fresh and green rootstock and pushing and so is lychee. Green on green.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 12:20:23 AM »
Thanks for the tip Behl, I'll definitely give it a shot. If a Hanging Green or NMT graft on Kohala works, I'll be a very happy man.

Simon

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 12:56:30 AM »
Thanks for the tip Behl, I'll definitely give it a shot. If a Hanging Green or NMT graft on Kohala works, I'll be a very happy man.

Simon
Same here!
Thera

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2015, 01:24:53 AM »
One more thing on rootstock. What was here was excellent diamond river plant that fruited well. Homeowner took plant wwith them. I got the roots that pushed into a seedling. I destroyed the seedling few times and each year it keeps coming back. So essentially it's not a known rootstock. So I would graft it onto any longan and try it that way.

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 01:28:43 AM »
I know sweetheart sucks in growth and then production, specially here in So. Cal."

I really hope that's not entirely true. My small sweetheart planted six months ago is holding two little fruits. I'm planning to graft it to my longans when it get bigger. My Mauritius didn't take off in growth until about three to four years.

The sweetheart fruits looks very similar to the Hakip(Florida) lychee that I fruited from my potted tree last year.

Sweetheart lychee tree

Sweetheart lychee fruits. Very excited to try this variety. The tree was purchased from Mimosa nursery in LA

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2015, 08:24:38 PM »
Great Thread! I hope this discovery will lead to an improvement in lychee fruit yields, perhaps irrelevant of winter season temperatures. You guys are on to something here, best of luck.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 11:31:58 PM »
Getting into growth mode and pushing hard now.

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 01:02:04 AM »
Leaves are actually forming! I'm just imagining the day  I can have longans and lychees  fruiting off the same tree. Awesome!!!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2015, 08:52:04 AM »
That is so cool, that's definitely a real push and not just reserve energy from the scion. If there is no delayed compatibility issues, you can air layer the rootstock as proven rootstock that is compatible with Mauritius Lychees. Please keep us updated, this is soooo exciting!!!

Simon

turgut

• türkiye /muğla /dalaman
    • View Profile
    • http://tropikalmeyvelerim.com
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 02:04:28 AM »
hi
In my greenhous ;Lychee grafted onto Longan

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 03:36:17 AM »
Hey Behl, is that another branch you have close to your pushing scion?

Barath, that is super cool, is it easier using seedling as rootstock or is that an air layer you are grafting onto?

Simon

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 05:29:33 AM »
hi
In my greenhous ;Lychee grafted onto Longan

How long ago was yours grafted. What variety is the lychee and longan rootstock? Thanks for posting.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »
Hey Behl, is that another branch you have close to your pushing scion?

Barath, that is super cool, is it easier using seedling as rootstock or is that an air layer you are grafting onto?

Simon

Simon, yes, that is another branch of longan that has leaves. I left it open so leaves get the required nutrients to the roots and help lychee graft get the benefits. That branch got another graft of mauritious two weeks ago.

so far the graft has pushed two nodes. one node has two branches growing nicely.  I will check its progress every two weeks and report here.

due to the excitement, I grafted hak ip from my in ground small plant onto my 14-yr old longan to experiment. timing couldn't be any better.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
How long ago was yours grafted. What variety is the lychee and longan rootstock? Thanks for posting.

the Graft came from greenscene Fullerton orchard when I visited there on Apr 12th. so it did take good 4-6 weeks before buds broke the buddy tape. I am actually shocked to see it grow and survive as we had brutal May that was coldest month of record with temps dipped into 39 in my area in Corona Hills.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »
Wood hooo!!! Another take of Mauritius on longan seedling that grew from root. This one took in less than 3 weeks.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2015, 04:02:04 PM »
Boy am I jealous!  Those could be air layered and sold. If you can pump them out, there should be some demand for them, especially if you can get Emperor grafts to work on Longan. I bookmarked this thread. Love the updates Behl, keep them coming!
Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2015, 04:55:01 PM »
I am in desperate need of budwood to graft and experiment. Hak Ip, Emperor, and anyother good ones. LOL

can someone send me? I will pay shipping!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2015, 06:19:52 PM »
Boy am I jealous!  Those could be air layered and sold. If you can pump them out, there should be some demand for them, especially if you can get Emperor grafts to work on Longan. I bookmarked this thread. Love the updates Behl, keep them coming!
Simon
What would be the benefit of air layering Emperor on longan rootstock versus air layering regular Emperor? Are you assuming the one on longan rootstock is going to grow better at your location?
Oscar