Author Topic: Epicotyl Grafting...Update.  (Read 35994 times)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
Re: Epicotyl Grafting...Update.
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »
Hey Steven, do you use this method just with seedlings, or you go for it even on bigger specimens? How do you recognize the appropriate moment when the plant is good for being grafted?
I have heard that bigger avocados can be a pain to graft, but actually i think that for most grafts, the trick is getting the right moment. For mangoes it happens when the rootstock is about to push, now, how do you understand the right moment for  avocado grafts?
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2013, 06:36:31 AM »
Hi Pan. Yes, i do this with very young seedlings. You can wait till they get a bit bigger.

Since we are using epi's for grafting, any time is good...the seedling are very activelyy growing and will heal very fast. Yeah, it's true, big avocados are hard to graft because of the lack of healing cells...when they are young, they heal very fast. Please keep an eye out, to not girdled the graft, I almost lost a plant, because of this. Grafts, when healing they expand to complete the union ;)   

The right time to graft is when the seedling, has the same thickness of the scion. I usually graft during spring to summer...if you have a greenhouse, to start the seeds...you can graft year round :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »
Thank you, very informative. :)
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2013, 08:06:58 AM »
Thank you, very informative. :)

Hi again,
You're most welcome :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

intel415

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2013, 10:03:39 PM »
interesting technique i have a few avocado seeds growing, i cant wait to try it out :)

Jack, does this technique work with loquat?

Thanks

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2013, 06:40:15 AM »
interesting technique i have a few avocado seeds growing, i cant wait to try it out :)

Jack, does this technique work with loquat?

Thanks

Hi Intel,
Awesome to hear 8)

I have never tried this method on Loquat...Loquat has to grow a bit, before grafting the seedling, in my opinion :)
Time is like a river.

intel415

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »
i grafted a hass using epicotyl method today, i wonder if it makes a difference wrap scion in grafting tape vs cover with plastic would it? thanks.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
Intel, I have never covered scions with G-tape...I only bag them. Fingers crossed on the hass graft.
Time is like a river.

maui guy

• hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »
you can add cocoa to the list

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
you can add cocoa to the list

Thanks a bunch for sharing, Maui guy.  :)
Time is like a river.

intel415

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2013, 01:00:49 AM »
very nice technique to graft avocados. Very easy and effective. My hass took already, will post pic later.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »
Epicotyl grafting of avocados has been standard here for well over half a century.

I have done this with many jackfruits also.

I imagine it could work well with mangos from large mono-embryonic seeds, after the base of the shoot has hardened up and turned green.   Most Turpentine embryos would not likely have enough stored nutrients for this technique.

Very true, also the use of very young mango rootstock has given me troubles because one to two month old mango seedlings were not strong enough and flopped over due to large and heavy scion and also the young mango rootstocks made it difficult to find and match a small enough diameter scion.

I think some of the issues I had with thin diameter rootstock is because I used poly embryonic Champaigne mango seedlings and also I did not care for the seedlings very well do they did not grow very fast. I started using Haden and Kent seedlings and got a promising start.

Some people graft above some leaves so that the leaves can provide energy to heal the graft, this may be useful with polyembryonic seedlings but then you may get sprouts from the leaf nodes. This epicotyl graft I did was below the lowest leaf so I won't have to worry about rootstock sprouts later on, at least less likely although rootstock can still resprout below the lowest leaf.

Simon