Author Topic: Socal grafting party  (Read 27504 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Socal grafting party
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »
It's getting really hot around here. I hope we're going to a place that has some shade.

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 03:16:51 PM »
Hi guys, 

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm afraid I won't be able to host the grafting party this Saturday.  My mother is law was at the ICU & her conditions did not get better so the family may have to take her off life support this week.. :((   I'm afraid this Saturday will be her funeral :(

Hope someone else can host so the meeting is still able to go on as planned.  Maybe I'll be able to host/attend the next meeting...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
Hi guys, 

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm afraid I won't be able to host the grafting party this Saturday.  My mother is law was at the ICU & her conditions did not get better so the family may have to take her off life support this week.. :((   I'm afraid this Saturday will be her funeral :(

Hope someone else can host so the meeting is still able to go on as planned.  Maybe I'll be able to host/attend the next meeting...

So sorry to hear, I hope things work out for the best MMMmommy.

Lets see what the others want to do. Perhaps we can reschedule it, or someone else can volunteer to host it.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 04:09:07 PM »
Sorry to hear about that MMMMommy.

I can host in Covina or perhaps someone to the south like Behl, or VyVy was suggesting doing it at a park with shade trees in Westminster.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 04:12:32 PM »
Sorry to hear about that MMMMommy.

I can host in Covina or perhaps someone to the south like Behl, or VyVy was suggesting doing it at a park with shade trees in Westminster.

Could probably host it down in Mission Viejo. However, I have limited shaded areas in the backyard. Could probably fit about 8 people or so max on a table in the shaded area.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:20:28 PM by nullzero »

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 04:52:30 PM »
please let us know your final decision for the location

Westminster park
Covina
Mission Viejo

thank you

ps. If it's in Covina, I will meet up with you guys some other time in OC

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 05:55:49 PM »
I will see if it works out for Mission Viejo. I just need to confirm how many people are coming, so I can see if I have enough folding chairs. If not, some may need to bring their own folding chair. Would be between 12-3pm on Saturday.

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
I can bring about 6 folding chairs
my other 3 friends (they go to this forum but don't post) will come too

that's 4 head counts

we will bring egg rolls and sodas

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 06:31:49 PM »
I can bring about 6 folding chairs
my other 3 friends (they go to this forum but don't post) will come too

that's 4 head counts

we will bring egg rolls and sodas

Going to confirm by tomorrow if its going to be in Mission Viejo. There is also a nice park literally right next door to the home with lots of shade and benches.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2012, 09:03:31 PM »
I'm okay with any location. Probably PM or email the address to everyone that is going when it's decided.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2012, 12:15:14 AM »
I can host the grafting party. Just message me with who is going (will send the address in private tells or email me). The location is going to be in South Orange County. Time would be Saturday between 12-3pm. 8/18/12

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
So far 5 confirmed going. Please bring plenty of grafting knives, tape, etc. Also visual instructions printed out of different grafts would be a great help. Bringing your own folding chair will help out as well.

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2012, 07:08:23 PM »
So far 5 confirmed going. Please bring plenty of grafting knives, tape, etc. Also visual instructions printed out of different grafts would be a great help. Bringing your own folding chair will help out as well.

nullzero

would you please tell me where I can get this grafting knife?
thanks

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »

nullzero

would you please tell me where I can get this grafting knife?
thanks

You can get good blade knives from home depot, they should do the same thing. I am hoping we get more experienced grafters to come. I am new to grafting, it would be nice to have people with more success come.

I have paper plates and utensils. I encourage others to bring food. Those with some good grafting experience in SoCal, we would love you to come.

Will have several plants budwood. If you have avocado seedlings, cherimoya seedlings, mango seedlings, jujube seedlings/suckers. Bring them! Also will distribute some good quality Opuntia sp. pads.

Make sure to bring a hat as well, backyard shade may be limited if more then 8 people are present.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:21:21 PM by nullzero »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »
Places like Armstrong garden centers has grafting knives and supplies. They could cost 30ish so may not be worth it depending on how much you plan on grafting in the future. What you're looking for is a straight sharp edge that won't bend or snap when cutting against semi-hard wood. Curved kitchen knives don't work that well because of the curve and long length of the blade. It's easier to control the cut using the part of the the blade that is closer to the handle. That's why grafting knives have shorter blades than handles.

If several people have grafting knives it might be feasible to share.

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2012, 11:30:15 PM »
If anybody needs budwood I have Atemoyav"African Pride", honeyhart cherimoya. And white cherimoya. PM
if you guys are interested.I will be available Saturday morning if anyone wants to get a few budwood.

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2012, 12:22:19 AM »
If anybody needs budwood I have Atemoyav"African Pride", honeyhart cherimoya. And white cherimoya. PM
if you guys are interested.I will be available Saturday morning if anyone wants to get a few budwood.

An

I would've stopped by to pick up the atemoya budwood, only I am going different direction. hopefully there will be someone coming from that route

fyliu & nullzero

30ish is a bit too much for the time being, I will be watching and learing. Perhaps will get something later

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2012, 12:28:30 AM »
I planned to have those times available, so any time between for people to hang out graft and chat.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2012, 12:32:16 AM »

An

I would've stopped by to pick up the atemoya budwood, only I am going different direction. hopefully there will be someone coming from that route

fyliu & nullzero

30ish is a bit too much for the time being, I will be watching and learing. Perhaps will get something later

Some people use the box cutter type utility knife. They're not strong enough for the harder woods but they're very sharp and cut softer scionwood just fine.

I don't think I can make it to Carson either. Thanks for offering the budwood. I heard "African Pride" is a very good variety that grows 7lb fruits.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2012, 01:21:41 AM »

An

fyliu & nullzero

Some people use the box cutter type utility knife. They're not strong enough for the harder woods but they're very sharp and cut softer scionwood just fine.

I don't think I can make it to Carson either. Thanks for offering the budwood. I heard "African Pride" is a very good variety that grows 7lb fruits.

Can spare some selma and elixir cherimoya wood.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2012, 01:33:08 AM »
I'll bring a few too and if we don't have enough seedlings to graft, you can take it home to try.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
Those who are going please contact me by personal message or email tonight. I will send the address and contact info.

MMMMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2012, 08:11:57 PM »
Have fun grafting tomorrow everyone!  Wish I could come. 

My MIL passed away on Wednesday.  Though the funeral was postponed until next Saturday, I'm going to be very busy tomorrow with all the relatives for familiy gathering and prayer services for her.   

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
MMMomy

sorry about your lost
will keep her in my prayer

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2012, 08:33:53 PM »
You have my condolences, MMMMommy. 

Regarding grafting knife, I'd loan you mine if possible.  But if you're looking to get one, this would be a good place to start, absolutely love mine. 
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=871.msg12850#msg12850
Tim