Author Topic: Bizarre Sugar Apples Seeds  (Read 5506 times)

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Bizarre Sugar Apples Seeds
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:43:07 AM »
Below is a picture of salvaged seeds I recovered from my order to Farm Tropical. They are from crushed fruits both purple and green.
Upon cleaning the seeds from the flesh, I noticed some green SA seeds that seem to be starting to sprout or something. They have some sort of fiber coming right out of the pointed end which is quite hard to pull off.

A look at the picture below, far right, explains better what I'm trying to say here.

Anybody has any idea what this could be?
I have immediately sowed thes strange seeds, just for testing because I don't need any more of these. We'll see if they sprout quicker or not, if they will ever sprout at all.

Thera

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Bizarre Sugar Apples Seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 02:23:57 AM »
Thera, looks like they might have sprouted already inside the fruit and looks like sprout dried out. My guess is they are not viable.
Oscar

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:27:46 AM »
Perhaps someone can provide a scientific term, but what's shown in your picture are not sprouted seeds because its tap roots would be white, think bean sprouts.  That fibers you see are tissues connecting seeds to fruit, that's its life line. Not uncommon for annona seeds to sprout within the fruit, but these are not it.
Tim

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 02:32:15 AM »
Perhaps someone can provide a scientific term, but what's shown in your picture are not sprouted seeds because its tap roots would be white, think bean sprouts.  That fibers you see are tissues connecting seeds to fruit, that's its life line. Not uncommon for annona seeds to sprout within the fruit, but these are not it.

Germinating parts are white, but only while alive. Once dry out brown. I thought same as you at first, that they are the parts that attach to the fruit. But KH said they were very hard to pull out, which sure doesn't sound like the part that attaches to the fruit.
Oscar

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:35:41 AM »
I'm thinking more like the Start of the sprouting process. I know that when a sugar apple seed sprouts, it splits open in half starting with the pointed end where the tap root comes out. Once the tap root is well implanted, it pushes the whole seed up and out of the soil.
Also, why just these few seeds and not the majority of them (the middle of the picture)?
Thera

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:47:47 AM »
I know what you mean but I've seen it in both sugar apples and cherimoyas.  These seeds don't seem to swollen & split.  It's also possible I'm completely off but only way to find out, carefully remove the seed coat and inspect for further evaluation. Sprouted annona seeds are a lot tougher than people may think, especially in a somewhat sealed box with mashed pulp providing all the moisture it needs to remain viable for the short trip from FL to CA.
Tim

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:03:19 AM »
The sugar apple seeds that I've sown until now were all swollen and splitted open from the pointed end. Anyway, I'll dig out one from the sowing pot and cut it open to see the state of the inside.
Will try to post pix for this.
Thera

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
my friend is sending me some Sugar apple seeds, I should receive them today. Would you guys please share how you got them to germinate. I tried every method, but it takes about 3 months for them to germinate, and only about 30% was successful

thanks everyone

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
Below are pix of a seed that I dug back out of the test sowing pot and cut in half. It was apparently still viable.

Thera

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:15:15 PM »
Yep... Still all there, sorry you had to destroy a seed just for this.

VyVy - I hope others with more experience can chime in. I mostly sow them fresh right out of the fruit, other times I throw them in a zip lock bag with moist paper towel, wait until they sprout and then put them in soil. Sowing fresh seeds normally take longer for me.  With old seeds, I'd soak for a day prior to zip lock treatment.
Tim

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 08:29:40 PM »
It's for a good cause.  8)

Thera

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »
Hopefully no Seed Borers went along for the ride!
Har

kh0110

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 12:21:21 AM »
Har, do you think this is a sign of infection by the seed borers?

Hopefully no Seed Borers went along for the ride!
Thera

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 03:59:20 AM »
I think the dry brown bits coming from the sugar apple is not from the seed sprouting and the the root drying off.It looks like it could be a fibrous attachment of the seed to the flesh in the 'cell'. 

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »
No, I don't see any indication of infestation by seed borers in the photos.  I was simply pointing out that taking whole fruits from Florida to California is not recommended.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »
No, I don't see any indication of infestation by seed borers in the photos.  I was simply pointing out that taking whole fruits from Florida to California is not recommended.

Those fruits could also be host to fruit fly. I'm wondering if these packages sent to California are getting inspected or is this all being done sub par?
Oscar

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 09:22:04 PM »

VyVy - I hope others with more experience can chime in. I mostly sow them fresh right out of the fruit, other times I throw them in a zip lock bag with moist paper towel, wait until they sprout and then put them in soil. Sowing fresh seeds normally take longer for me.  With old seeds, I'd soak for a day prior to zip lock treatment.

Thanks Tim

my friends from TX said the same thing, they just throw the seeds to the garden and they grow within a about 2 weeks