Author Topic: Everbearing Sapodilla  (Read 15562 times)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Everbearing Sapodilla
« on: September 17, 2012, 02:56:09 PM »
I have been picking Sapodilla fruit off my Alano tree since late last winter including a few just today. The tree still has lots of new bloom and various sizes of developing fruit on it. One thing I have noticed is the late summer/fall fruit appear to be more thin and long versus the spring/early summer fruit that were almost round. Needless to say...I'm real happy with the tree over the last year its pretty much become an everbearing tree that always has fruit ready to pick. Anyone else have a Sapodilla tree thats bearing this way?   

Tony
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:57:45 PM by SWRancher »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Everbearing Sapodilla
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »
My krasuey sapodillas are everbearing with ripe fruit available around 10 months of the year.Both flower prolifically non-stop but my prolific doesn't.The prolific and sawo manila and all the past varieties that got chopped due to their inferiority to the krasueysnhave disgraced themselves.The 2 krasueys are stars of the sapodilla world locally with fruit growers that I marvelling at them.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »
Its amazing that Krasuey is the only sapodilla that isnt propagated and easily available.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:32:39 PM »
My Alano is doing the same thing and I have noticed the same fruit shape differences. My Silas woods has been producing for a few months then taking a few weeks off and starting again for quite a while. The Makok has been done for a couple of months.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
SWRancher and ofdsurfer, this is great news. I've got an 6' Alano in ground 1 yr bearing for the first time with 6 immature fruit on it. What's the age and height of your Alano trees? I hope to be enjoying some by Nov/Dec.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 11:03:41 PM »
Thanks for sharingthr info in your alano.  I bought both alano and makok in hopes that the twonwould compliment ewch with growing seasons.   Maybe i just needed an alano, 

Brad
Brad

ofdsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
All of my sapodilla have been in the ground for almost five years. The Makok and Alano are ten or eleven feet tall and very bushy, the Silas wood is around seven feet and nowhere near as bushy, it does however produce larger fruit for the most part. 

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »
SWRancher and ofdsurfer, this is great news. I've got an 6' Alano in ground 1 yr bearing for the first time with 6 immature fruit on it. What's the age and height of your Alano trees? I hope to be enjoying some by Nov/Dec.

My tree has been in the ground 4 years and the tree is now about 10 feet tall. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
Makok is also an ever-bearing sapodilla and quite precocious as well. Fruit should be thinned to get them to size up. Makok sapodilla and carrie mango seem to be the resident raccoon's favorite fruits (I think he has a bit of a sweet tooth :-).
Jeff  :-)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »
Thanks Jeff.   Perhaps I have overdone it with two ever bearing sapodillas.  Guess its up to how many inca. Eat :)

Brad
Brad

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »
Would you guys please comment more on the Silas  wood........I have one I have not planted yet and was considering switching to another variety.........size compared to others? Taste compared to others?

ofdsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »
My Silas wood tree is very productive it seems to produce all year long in waves.  The fruit size is larger than my Makok and all but the largest Alano from my trees.  The taste is good but it's almost to sweet for me. It has a good texture being very close to Makok in my opinion.  I personally like Alano a little better but between the Alano and the Silas wood I have had an almost constant supply of fruit.  For the size of the tree it fruits heavier than either the Alano or the Makok at my house.

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
SWRancher

do you have Alano sapodilla seeds for sale or trade? I would be interested. Thank you
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:58:10 AM by VyVy »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 10:14:02 AM »
SWRancher

do you have Alano sapodilla seeds for sale or trade? I would be interested. Thank you

Seeds for rootstock?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
I also agree that the Alano has an extended to everbearing fruiting season.  I have also noticed that the "off" season fruit are longer and thinner, like the new iPhone, while the fruit from the heart of growing season are larger and stocky.  I have also noticed the the off season fruit is not as good/sweet as the in season fruit.
- Rob

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 12:23:36 PM »
SWRancher

Seeds for rootstock?

murahilin

i am asking for seeds

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 12:33:41 PM »
SWRancher

Seeds for rootstock?

murahilin

i am asking for seeds
I believe he was asking for what purpose are you wanting the seeds.
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 12:49:36 PM »
Also, before requesting anything from other members it is imperative that you inform us in your profile where you are in the world. 

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »
SWRancher

Seeds for rootstock?

murahilin

i am asking for seeds

Yup. I would like to know the purpose because if you are looking for seed for rootstock I may have some sapodilla seeds to share but if you are looking to grow an Alano seedling I wouldn't have any seeds to share.

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 04:26:19 PM »
SWRancher

Seeds for rootstock?

murahilin

i am asking for seeds

Yup. I would like to know the purpose because if you are looking for seed for rootstock I may have some sapodilla seeds to share but if you are looking to grow an Alano seedling I wouldn't have any seeds to share.

what's the difference between "seed for rootstock" and " "you are looking to grow an Alano seedling ?

sorry for my ignorance. I am so new to growing stuff :)

I want some seeds, so that I can get them germinated and grow into an alona tree
not sure if I made sense here

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 05:39:44 PM »
Rootstock is what you grow from seed to use for grafting later on. Similar to the annonas you grafted at Stephen's place, you grafted a scion from a named variety onto your rootstock.

Growing a seedling tree means growing any fruit tree from seed, for the purpose of having a fruit tree later on. But that's pretty much a gamble in most seeds as for fruit production and quality. Makes sense? I sorta?

what's the difference between "seed for rootstock" and " "you are looking to grow an Alano seedling ?
Tim

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 06:25:40 PM »
Rootstock is what you grow from seed to use for grafting later on. Similar to the annonas you grafted at Stephen's place, you grafted a scion from a named variety onto your rootstock.

Growing a seedling tree means growing any fruit tree from seed, for the purpose of having a fruit tree later on. But that's pretty much a gamble in most seeds as for fruit production and quality. Makes sense? I sorta?

crystal clear

thanks Tim

in this case, I want to grow a seed into a tree (not for rootstock)
because beggers cant' be choosers hihihi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 07:47:42 PM »

crystal clear

thanks Tim

in this case, I want to grow a seed into a tree (not for rootstock)
because beggers cant' be choosers hihihi
By planting an Alano seed you will not get an Alano tree.  You will invest many years till it fruits which may require the axe.  Based on time vs money, it would be money well spent to buy a grafted 3 gallon.  Just my 2 sapodillas...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:26:26 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »

I want some seeds, so that I can get them germinated and grow into an alona tree
not sure if I made sense here

Well then Murahilin does not have any Alano seeds to share. lol

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »
thanks everyone for your input
It looks like I have a lot to learn :)