Author Topic: Would you move this loquat tree? Loquat tree or bush?  (Read 1337 times)

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
Would you move this loquat tree? Loquat tree or bush?
« on: November 04, 2019, 11:18:51 AM »
Hi guys, I just put this Big Jim loquat in the ground a couple days ago and now I’m having second thoughts on the close proximity to the wall. Is it too close to the wall? The other tree in the photo will be removed FYI. I plan on doing high density planting in that area which is why I planted so close to the wall. I’d like to keep the tree under 10ft. Also, do you guys like growing loquat trees, or bushes? I’ve been pulling off the suckers trying to branch up from the trunk to shape it into a tree. If kept as a tree shape, can you keep it short enough to harvest from for the foreseeable future? Or should I let the suckers grow to have more fruit that’s in reach?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:56:19 AM by FV Fruit Freak »
Nate

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Would you move this loquat tree? Loquat tree or bush?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 11:47:45 AM »
The plant ok! i have loquat trees in way smaller areas and they grow just fine. I keep my loquat trees with a single trunk at a height of about 6-9ft and with 3 plants (age 10 years old) i have more than enough fruit even for jams. So in my opinion i would keep it as it is and i believe it should be fine

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 07:39:12 PM »
I have mine even closer to a wall, but they're also still pretty young, so I don't know how successful it will be long term.  They are easy to train to keep it growing away from the neighbor.  However, I get nocturnal visitors that like to chew on the bark and new shoots closest to the wall/highway.  Saves me some pruning work, sort of, but they also ate last year's small crop, so still figuring out what to do about that.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »
I would be annoyed if someone planted a loquat that close to my property line.  Id also be worried it would eventually screw up the footing on the wall and lift the sidewalk.  But then again Im not everyone and maybe your neighbors dont care.  Those plants are weeds though, thry grow really vigorous if they are in good soil its going to get big. 
Brad Spaugh

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 08:35:42 PM »
Loquats are very trainable.

If you want to keep it where it is and under 10 feet, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

They tend to grow in large flushes if they are wanting for light, so as long as it is allowed to grow in full sun, it should show very compact growth.

You can espalier it as well if you want to form a living fence.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:48:34 PM »
Doesn't your city have ordinances where trees can not be a certain inches/foot over into the sidewalk?  If you have asshole neighbors, they will report you over shit like that.   Also, if the other side of the wall is not your property, you neighbor can start cutting your trees that hang over onto their property.  I usually like to plant my trees so that it does not encroach onto neighbors property which can give them the excuse to touch my precious fruit trees.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 02:00:47 AM »
Thanks for all the reply’s it’s appreciated! That wall you see just separates my front yard from my backyard, no neighbors there, just my side yard with a shed.

As for the tree hanging over the sidewalk and “ordinances”, check out, “the wave”, that use to hang over the sidewalk from my yard where the loquat is now, ha! A 30+ year old ficus who’s roots (as Brad suggested the loquat could do, good call) raised up/cracked the sidewalk, threatened the foundation of the house, and upended the brick retaining wall. Research tells me loquat roots aren’t as invasive (hope hope). I shaped that ficus over fifteen years ago, I got one letter from the city in those 15 years, and none before that. Guess I’m fortunate to have some pretty chill neighbors, we all talk and get on really well. After I received the letter from the city, I trimmed the tree a bit, left the tunnel, but made it wider, and never heard from the city again. However, several neighbors have voiced their displeasure of me actually cutting the tree down. I guess A lot of kids in the neighborhood enjoyed “surfing” it and riding their bikes through the tunnel. Maybe I can shape another “wave” with the loquat...but this one will be better...it will be edible.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:55:31 AM by FV Fruit Freak »
Nate

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 03:25:31 AM »
If you want my advice I'd move it.  The reason being in your location I'd put something more zone pushing next to that wall for the heat radiation.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 11:26:14 AM »
Thanks for the advice, appreciated! The reason I went with loquat there is because it’s a high foot traffic area with lots of folks walking by. Wanted to go with a tree that I don’t care as much about as my other trees like mango, lychee, etc.. and produces more fruit than I can eat, so I can, “share”, with all the folks that can’t help themselves that walk by. I think a lychee tree for example would get picked clean by people walking by. It’s also a north facing wall blocked by a shed so the heat factor isn’t really there anyways.
Nate