Author Topic: Gem Avocado  (Read 36999 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Gem Avocado
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »
Has any body seen a Gem Avocado fruit or tree for sale anywhere? It is a patented variety of the University of California.

The Tree and the Fruit
From the extensive plantations for testing carried out primarily in California and South Africa, it is known that avocado GEM is produced in a semi-compact shaped tree. The GEM typically grows in the inside of the tree, mostly in clusters, protecting the fruit from sunburn and wind damage. The tree's growth is compact, making it easier to manage, especially for plantations with high density. Also GEM avocado trees are less likely to "toggle" than Hass trees. This variety has favorable distribution sizes, being slightly larger than 'Hass'. Its skin changes from dark green to an attractive dark purple-black when ripe. With respect to the final quality of the fruit, an independent tasting panel in the United Kingdom called GEM avocado a eating better organoleptic quality than that in Hass.   
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Gem Avocado
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 04:26:24 PM »
Carlos, Brokaw Nursery has an even newer Hass variety, called "Hass Carmen."  Have you seen it on their website?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 04:28:00 PM by johnb51 »
John

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »
This is the first time that I learn about it, noticeable good qualities and a lot of potential. If I learn anything new, you'll be the first to know.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 05:10:26 PM »
Carlos, Brokaw Nursery has an even newer Hass variety, called "Hass Carmen."  Have you seen it on their website?
Yes I have seen it but nearly impossible to get one
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 01:25:23 PM »
Jack you are in So. California can you get this tree?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »
Actually Carlos, I'm in central CA between LA and SF. Nice rural area in the tourist destinations of Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach, etc.  But, headed down Monday to Santa Barbara/Ventura area and will check out nurseries for the Gem and Hass-Carmen.  These two, along with Sir Prize, are patented so I'll get back to you.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 02:48:30 PM »
Actually Carlos, I'm in central CA between LA and SF. Nice rural area in the tourist destinations of Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach, etc.  But, headed down Monday to Santa Barbara/Ventura area and will check out nurseries for the Gem and Hass-Carmen.  These two, along with Sir Prize, are patented so I'll get back to you.

Brokaw is Wholesale Only.  But they open at 7 AM on Monday so they could probably tell you what nurseries in Santa Barbara and Ventura carry their trees.  805-647-2262.
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
I /quote]

I have been in the area of Hearst Castle, beautiful country.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:20:54 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 08:13:48 PM »

I've been told that most of the Carmen's are sold to avocado farmers. Very few goes to the public.

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
Actually, after talking with Brokaw today, the Hass Carmens are under contract to Westfalia who are planting them in many parts of the world.  As to the wholesale quantity, it is 21 trees to growers with some allowance to previous clients.  Brokaw will not have any GEM nor Hass Carmen available until Spring 2014.  I decided to not have either in my avocado collection as they are patented and it would be difficult to avoid sharing scions with others.  Hank Brokaw helped me set up my citrus many years ago with advice on rootstocks in our dune sand soil (citrange) and provided most of my citrus trees.  They have always been great with help and information.  And...Brokaw's stock is far superior to others, bar none.  Good rootstock, care, excellent genes pay off.

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 12:15:48 PM »
Recently had a number of GEM avocados. Taste was excellent. Like Hass but with a hint of something that makes it a bit stronger (bitterness?). I prefer Hass, but the GEM is quite good.

Interestingly, 3 of them had pits that were already split and a root growing out along the surface of the pit. Fast germinating.
Shane

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:18 PM »
Carlos we can organize a group buy with one of our forum nursery owners , I will buy 3 .

Ed
Zone 10

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 03:33:20 PM »
Hi Carlos,

This person has a semi-mature gem avocado tree. Maybe you can try to contact him and have him send you scions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q38tw-ZQPFk

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »
GEM is a patented variety.  Buy the tree from Brokaw or other legal sources like a local nursery.  Developed through research at University of California and proceeds from sales are used for further research on avocado varieties.  The South Coast Field Station (UCR) where many are planted out for evaluation is located on expensive real estate and costly to operate.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 06:45:15 PM »
I read somewhere that Brokaw will sell 100 trees , Maybe we can organize a group sale, And have one of our Forum Nursery Owners Place The Order, Like I Said , I will Take 3 ...

Ed
Zone 10

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 01:47:44 PM »
Ed, last time I checked with Brokaw the number of trees for a wholesale purchase was 21.  That would be easier to do.  Might be worth a call.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »
That is Awesome ! Lets do it Guys !..
Im Down, We just need one of our Forum Nursery owners to place the order , I can pre-pay for my 3 trees up front..

Thanks Ed
Zone 10

SoCalBob

• 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 07:07:43 PM »
I'm in too...

I'll go for 4 trees,  been trying to get this variety for some time.  This is great! 

Thanks, Roberto

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2015, 04:28:32 PM »
Carlos we can organize a group buy with one of our forum nursery owners , I will buy 3 .

Ed
I'm growing it. Now seems to be a lot like Hass seems to suffer the same problems that has suffers is our climate here in So FL
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
@carlos, sorry to hear you are having problem with gem, it looks like hass related avocados don't grow well in FL, what do you think the problem is? Too humid?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:12:10 PM by socal10b »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »
I'm not sure what i is can be too much water in summer, humidity, hotter nights who knows........... :-\
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 12:23:58 AM »
Sorry to hear the 'GEM' is not growing well for you Carlos, supposed to be excellent avocado, I have small tree many more years to fruit but in cooler climate with Ocean influence, time will tell as someone said! :-\

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »
Sorry I made a mistake I thought it was the Gwen, Actually the Gem is doing real well. I took pictures today. Nice fruit set for a first year top worked tree, It is a smooth skin avocado, foliage is nice to protect the fruit from the hot sun, the fruit hides inside the foliage. Very promising since it does not appear to suffer from the same issues other Hass types do here in Florida

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com