Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211550 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango and/or Avocado 24/7
« Reply #400 on: September 30, 2013, 12:17:17 AM »
Mark in Texas, thank you so much for the excellent, hands on, report on your 'Gwen' avocado. It seems to be behaving exactly, or better, than the description I posted.
It seems like you've made a fine avocado variety choice; congrats.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the 'Gem.' It could be really good for our South Florida area, and may be a candidate to fill the 'S.FL-WAV' (South Florida-Winter Avocado Void).
I wish Forum Member(s) were field testing it here in S. Florida, so its behavior could then be compared to that of 'Gwen.'
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:42:48 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2013, 07:43:30 AM »
You're welcome!    Looks like Westfalia has the patent locked up worldwide.  Check this out - http://www.freshplaza.com/article/95835/Westfalia-has-new-superior-avocado-than-Hass  Not sure why or how Dr. Arpaia would want to give away the rights of an extensive breeding program to a foreign country but apparently that has happened.

Legal Protection
Plant patents currently protect the GEM "3-29-5" in all major avocado producing countries (including Chile) to safeguard the variety against illegal propagation. The illegal cultivation and the unauthorized trade of fruit or genetic material of GEM Avocado ('3-29-5'), shall be punished criminally, the company said.

Globally
Outside Chile, Westfalia is in the process of hiring avocado producers and marketers for GEM avocados ('3-29-5 ') in Australia, Brazil, Colombia, the European Union, Israel, Morocco, New Zealand, Peru and other countries to ensure the availability throughout the year of this promising variety and development of cultivating GEM ('3-29-5 ') at its maximum potential.

You might call Laguna Hills Nursery,  (949) 830-5653, or Four Winds Growers.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:44:32 AM by Mark in Texas »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2013, 08:09:36 AM »
Mark I have wonder why a public institution that probably gets state and federal funds would give rights to a foreign business.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 30, 2013, 08:17:43 AM »
Mark I have wonder why a public institution that probably gets state and federal funds would give rights to a foreign business.

For sure.  I think I'm gonna write her and find out what's going on since she took over the program from the GEM developers Martin and Bergh.  After I was gifted budwood by her I gave a donation to the Regents of U.C.R.  Botany and Plant Sciences Dept. in support of their research efforts and this kinda rubs me the wrong way.  IMO, the royalty should be paid to U.C.R. either from Westfalia or their customers.   I am assuming royalities are being paid to Westfalia. 

Later......
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:27:42 AM by Mark in Texas »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 30, 2013, 08:22:02 AM »
"GEM avocado trees are less likely to 'toggle' than Hass trees."

What does that mean?
John

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2013, 08:54:46 AM »
"GEM avocado trees are less likely to 'toggle' than Hass trees."

What does that mean?

Perhaps referencing "alternate bearing"?

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 30, 2013, 11:48:37 AM »
I believe this project was initially funded with a grant by the California Avocado Commission.  Lamb Hass, Sir Prize, GEM, etc. have been released, but unfortunately GEM had little interest garnered from CA growers, but New Zealand, Australia, S. Africa were interested.  As to plant material selected by this project for release by UCR, that is handled by the UCR Office of Technical Development and the beneficiary is the UC system from the resulting royalties.  The research program is world-wide, with collaboration and initiation from many sources including Israel, Chile, S. Africa, N. Zealand, and Florida.  Test plots are also worldwide. Further info as to intellectual property protections and benefits generated by UCR can be obtained at
http://research.ucr.edu/otc.aspx

Most relevant: " Royalties

Royalties are paid when products that use the technology are sold.  Royalties may be calculated on a percentage-of-sales, gross or net sales of product, or fee-per-unit basis, depending on the standard in that market."

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 30, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
Good info.  I think Arpaia was and still is in charge of that "new" research/development project which was slated for a 10 year period.  If I had to guess they have about 2 years left.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 30, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
Yes, Mark, Mary Lu is still project leader.  Julie Frink is one of the volunteers in the project.  Again, the source of the funding is really the CA avocado grower through the CA Avocado Commission.  Project is open-ended, reports and research results are posted on their internet page:   www.ucavo.ucr.edu

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 01, 2013, 12:57:51 AM »
It sure seems like 'Gem' is one heck of a good cultivar and the patent holders have hit or are trying to hit the royalty/money jackpot.

I tell you, there's a lot of money to be made on a quality avocado seedling(s). I wouldn't be surprised if this 'Gem' were to fill the 'S.FL-WAV.' Although this patented cultivar may be out of reach for many of us, I for one think it's nice to feel the excitement and motivation created by it.

With the help of people like all of us Forum Members, like Mark in Texas, CTMIAMI/Carlos... it just comes to mind that we're on the right track. Successs will be ours if we keep persisting. Like Carlos says there are some good interesting days ahead. Thank you T.F.Forum Members for all your postings/contributions, please keep doing so.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:47:27 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 01, 2013, 04:54:48 PM »
Look at this little sport on winter mexican .I will watch it to see if it grows

Mike

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 01, 2013, 08:32:32 PM »
Mike when does your Winter Mexican matures?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 02, 2013, 02:00:56 AM »
It's a very exciting day for me, because today I finally bought the 'Lula' avocado variety, and I'm all giddy/silly with excitement.

I promised Zands that when I got it I'd say where I got it from. Zands, I got it from Pine Island Nursery. I think it's a 3 gallon tree and it needs to be stepped up because it's huge for the pot it's in. I'm 'gonna' step it up into the ground  :D . Yeah, I can't wait for the first chance I get, to plant it.

Since I don't have much space left, I'm 'fixing' on planting it in a 'hellish location,' in the middle of a small forest of 'Mysore' banana trees  :D . If need be, I'll cut back some of the banana trees to give it some space. 'Mysore' bananas take a long time to bear fruit, so I don't mind at all doing this 'insult' to them, they had it coming  :D .

Anyways, please excuse all the cheesy emoticons, what can I say, I'm feeling all cheesy about finally getting the 'Lula.'  :D

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 02, 2013, 07:35:41 AM »
Carlos
 Sometime in november.Do you think the long smooth skin fruit will hold
Mike

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 02, 2013, 08:13:08 AM »
Carlos
 Sometime in november.Do you think the long smooth skin fruit will hold
Hard to tell it has gotten big.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 02, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
A question for the experts.  I realize that avocado trees vary in how they grow--a few are compact/dwarfish, some are spreading, many (most?) are tall and slender.  On average, how small can the home grower with several (or many!) fruit trees in his yard keep an avocado tree (through yearly pruning) and still expect abundant fruit?
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 02, 2013, 12:17:22 PM »
It's a very exciting day for me, because today I finally bought the 'Lula' avocado variety, and I'm all giddy/silly with excitement.

I promised Zands that when I got it I'd say where I got it from. Zands, I got it from Pine Island Nursery. I think it's a 3 gallon tree and it needs to be stepped up because it's huge for the pot it's in. I'm 'gonna' step it up into the ground  :D . Yeah, I can't wait for the first chance I get, to plant it.

Since I don't have much space left, I'm 'fixing' on planting it in a 'hellish location,' in the middle of a small forest of 'Mysore' banana trees  :D . If need be, I'll cut back some of the banana trees to give it some space. 'Mysore' bananas take a long time to bear fruit, so I don't mind at all doing this 'insult' to them, they had it coming  :D .

Anyways, please excuse all the cheesy emoticons, what can I say, I'm feeling all cheesy about finally getting the 'Lula.'  :D

Lula is supposed to upright, tall, and vigorous so it should grow above the banana forest.  Hey man, I'm equally nuts about avocado trees. ;D
John

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 02, 2013, 10:23:37 PM »
LOL, I'm already feeling less worried about the 'Lula' avocado and the 'Mysore' bananas being so close together. Thanks for the info. on the 'Lula's' growth habit.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 04, 2013, 01:03:33 AM »
Potential 'SFL-WAV' (South Florida-Winter Avocado Void) Cultivars
Key:
Underlined avocado 'cultivars' are recommended for field testing, those that are not underlined are already being grown by a 'Forum Member(s)'.
Strikethrough 'cultivars' have been reported to mature outside the 'SFL-WAV.' They'll be kept for the record, on the "Watch-List."
Group 5: ‘Gwen,’ ‘Santa-Ana-Hass,’ ‘Lamb-Hass,’ ‘Sir-Prize,’ ‘Holiday.'
'Gwen:' A seedling bred from 'Hass' x 'Thille' in 1982. The 'Gwen' tree is higher yielding and more dwarfing than Hass in California. The fruit has an oval shape. It is frost-hardy down to −1 °C (30 °F). This variety requires little more than a third of the space of the typical avocado tree and produces "twice" as much fruit. The tree naturally grows about 15 feet in height, but can be kept even smaller because the tree lends itself easily to pruning as it has small limbs. The fruit is set in huge numbers uniformly throughout the tree. Gwen avocados are similar to the Hass in appearance, taste, and texture, but are larger. The green skin is more finely pebbled than Hass, it's thick but pliable, is dull green when ripe with a gold-green and creamy flesh. Most productive of dwarf avocados, best dwarf for outdoor use, also for containers and greenhouse. Season: It's available late winter through late summer; Feb./March/April to Sept./October. As mentioned earlier on this Thread, Forum Member CTMIAMI is field testing this exciting variety.

'Santa Ana Hass:' This is a California field tested seedling, of California ‘Hass.’ It comes from a ten year old tree in California, where it is reported to bear heavily. The fruit is a large pound size fruit, with ‘Hass’ like taste. Because of the quality characteristics exhibited by this variety during many years, CTMIAMI is now field testing it in South Florida, USA. More information on this variety (and others) can be obtained at CTMIAMI’s website: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/santa-ana-hass.html
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:12:13 AM by LEOOEL »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 04, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »
Leo I updated yesterday info on Utuado and Lamb Hass. The Hass started to grow again after the temperatures began to cool at night. This Lamb Hass could be a December or later fruit. No change in color so far and they can grow a bit more.  More on the web pages.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: October 05, 2013, 01:52:30 AM »
Carlos thank you for the updates on the Utuado and the Lamb-Hass, I really appreciate it. It's a pleasure and a priviledge to review these avocado cultivars that could fill the 'SFL-WAV.'
I'd like to thank you, this Forum and Forum Members for the opportunity to do so. I don't cease to be amazed by the quality of the avocado collection that you're field testing.

Update on Mango 24/7
In order to fill the 'South Florida Winter Mango Void,' it may be useful to do the following mango cultivar crossings:
(1) 'Keitt X Miracle,'
(2) 'Rosigold X Keitt,' and
(3) 'Rosigold X Miracle.'
These individual cultivars have something in their genetic codes that make them 'border' the 'S.FL-MangoVoid' months of December, January and February.
Perhaps by doing these crossings, they will/could yield a new cultivar that will fill the 'S.FL-MangoVoid.'

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 07, 2013, 11:43:59 PM »
Carlos, I planted the 'Jan Boyce' avocado tree that you gave me, very exciting.

I've also planted the 'Lula' that I recently got, also very exciting.

So far both trees are doing great. I hope they get established quick so they can appropriately deal with the winter, when it gets here.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:34:59 AM by LEOOEL »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 08, 2013, 03:11:27 PM »
Leo. I'm starting coverage on another possible candidate. Rockwood Avocado.
http://www.myavocadotrees.com/rockwood-avocado.html

One of the nicest foliage I have seen.

Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 10, 2013, 01:13:05 AM »
Leo. I'm starting coverage on another possible candidate. Rockwood Avocado.
http://www.myavocadotrees.com/rockwood-avocado.html

One of the nicest foliage I have seen.

Carlos that's great, 'Rockwood' avocado, I'ts been added to the 'Wish List,' thank you.

Updated “Avocado Watch–List”
A cultivar by cultivar review from the point of view of whether these avocado varieties are being grown (field tested) in South Florida, USA.
And, to ultimately verify whether they’ll fill the ‘S.Florida-Winter Avocado Void’ (‘SFL-WAV’) months of the year of March, April and May.
Key:
Underlined 'cultivars' are recommended for field testing, those that are not underlined are already being grown by a 'Forum Member(s)'.
Strikethrough 'cultivars' have been reported to mature outside the 'SFL-WAV.' They'll be kept for the record, on the "Watch-List.'
Potential 'SFL-WAV' cultivars:
Group 1: 'Sharwil,' 'Fujikawa,' 'Utuado,' 'Jan-Boyce,' ‘Reed,’ ‘Green-Gold,’ ‘Linda,’ 'Fuerte' and 'Wurtz.'
Group 2: ‘Winter-Mexican’ and ‘Winter-Mexican-Seedling (CTMIAMI).’
Group 3: ‘Don-Carlitos,’ ‘Vero-Beach’  and ‘Cellons’ Avocado.
Group 4: ‘San Miguel,’ ‘Kahaluu,’ ‘Malama,’ ‘Murashige.’
Group 6: ‘Nabal,’ ‘Queen,’ 'Rockwood' ...

Group 5: ...
'Lamb-Hass:' In California, exceptional flavor and a medium to large robust size are the hallmark of this new avocado variety. It has pebbly bumpy skin with greenish yellow flesh. It has smooth, creamy, nutty taste and is more roundish, symmetrical, than the regular ‘Hass.’ It ranges in size from 10 to 20 oz. It’s 50% to 80% larger than the regular ‘Hass.’ It’s described as a compact tree (smaller than ‘Hass’), and bears more fruit than the ‘Hass.’ The fruit is reported to keep on the tree real well. A Forum Member has reported that the fruit also keeps/stores very well in the refrigerator. This variety is a self pollinator. Fruit maturity in California is from June to October. Carlos is field testing this variety to see how the tree and fruit quality will behave in the South Florida environment, whether it’s worthy of commercial development, and whether the fruit maturity season is in the ‘S.FL-WAV,’ or borders it.  The tree that Carlos is field testing is now full of attractive, as of yet unripe fruit. As Carlos has described, it seems to like the South Florida environment. It would be interesting to learn the date(s) when the fruits begin to ripen, and the date(s) when the last fruit(s) ripen; do they ripen all at once, or do they ripen in a spread out fashion as in a matter of days, weeks, or months. So far, so good: Although still under observation, with these amazing described qualities, the 'Lamb Hass' could turn out to be a world class quality avocado for S. Florida. More info. on this exciting variety can be found at: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/lamb-hass-avocado.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:46:02 PM by LEOOEL »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 12, 2013, 05:42:26 PM »
Updated “Avocado Watch–List”
A cultivar by cultivar review from the point of view of whether these avocado varieties are being grown (field tested) in South Florida, USA.
And, to ultimately verify whether they’ll fill the ‘S.Florida-Winter Avocado Void’ (‘SFL-WAV’) months of the year of March, April and May.
Key:
Underlined 'cultivars' are recommended for field testing, those that are not underlined are already being grown by a 'Forum Member(s)'.
Strikethrough 'cultivars' have been reported to mature outside the 'SFL-WAV.' They'll be kept for the record, on the "Watch-List.'
Potential 'SFL-WAV' cultivars:
Group 1: 'Sharwil,' 'Fujikawa,' 'Utuado,' 'Jan-Boyce,' ‘Reed,’ ‘Green-Gold,’ ‘Linda,’ 'Fuerte' and 'Wurtz.'
Group 2: ‘Winter-Mexican’ and ‘Winter-Mexican-Seedling (CTMIAMI).’
Group 3: ‘Don-Carlitos,’ ‘Vero-Beach’  and ‘Cellons’ Avocado.
Group 4: ‘San Miguel,’ ‘Kahaluu,’ ‘Malama,’ ‘Murashige.’
Group 6: ‘Nabal,’ ‘Queen,’ 'Rockwood' ...
Group 5:

'Gwen:' A seedling bred from 'Hass' x 'Thille' in 1982. The 'Gwen' tree is higher yielding and more dwarfing than Hass in California. The fruit has an oval shape. It is frost-hardy down to −1 °C (30 °F). This variety requires little more than a third of the space of the typical avocado tree and produces "twice" as much fruit. The tree naturally grows about 15 feet in height, but can be kept even smaller because the tree lends itself easily to pruning as it has small limbs. The fruit is set in huge numbers uniformly throughout the tree. Gwen avocados are similar to the Hass in appearance, taste, and texture, but are larger. The green skin is more finely pebbled than Hass, it's thick but pliable, is dull green when ripe with a gold-green and creamy flesh. Most productive of dwarf avocados, best dwarf for outdoor use, also for containers and greenhouse. Season: It's available late winter through late summer; Feb./March/April to Sept./October. As mentioned earlier on this Thread, Forum Member CTMIAMI is field testing this exciting variety.

'Santa Ana Hass:' This is a California field tested seedling, of California ‘Hass.’ It comes from a ten year old tree in California, where it is reported to bear heavily. The fruit is a large pound size fruit, with ‘Hass’ like taste. Because of the quality characteristics exhibited by this variety during many years, CTMIAMI is now field testing it in South Florida, USA. More information on this variety (and others) can be obtained at CTMIAMI’s website: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/santa-ana-hass.html

'Lamb Hass:' In California, exceptional flavor and a medium to large robust size are the hallmark of this new avocado variety. It has pebbly bumpy skin with greenish yellow flesh. It has smooth, creamy, nutty taste and is more roundish, symmetrical, than the regular ‘Hass.’ It ranges in size from 10 to 20 oz. It’s 50% to 80% larger than the regular ‘Hass.’ It’s described as a compact tree (smaller than ‘Hass’), and bears more fruit than the ‘Hass.’ The fruit is reported to keep on the tree real well. A Forum Member has reported that the fruit also keeps/stores very well in the refrigerator. This variety is a self pollinator. Fruit maturity in California is from June to October. Carlos is field testing this variety to see how the tree and fruit quality will behave in the South Florida environment, whether it’s worthy of commercial development, and whether the fruit maturity season is in the ‘S.FL-WAV,’ or borders it.  The tree that Carlos is field testing is now full of attractive, as of yet unripe fruit. As Carlos has described, it seems to like the South Florida environment. It would be interesting to learn the date(s) when the fruits begin to ripen, and the date(s) when the last fruit(s) ripen; do they ripen all at once, or do they ripen in a spread out fashion as in a matter of days, weeks, or months. So far, so good: Although still under observation, with these amazing described qualities, the 'Lamb Hass' could turn out to be a world class quality avocado for S. Florida. More info. on this exciting variety can be found at: http://www.myavocadotrees.com/lamb-hass-avocado.html

'Sir Prize:' There is not a lot of ‘info.’ out there on this variety. This review is made possible by Forum Members: JF, Concordiaranch, Californiatropicals and CTMIAMI. In California, USA, it’s Hass like, but with larger fruit, bears 4-6 weeks earlier than Hass (Feb.-Oct.). Its growth is vigorous, upright and spreading. It’s more cold hardy than Hass. And, has an excellent flavor and flesh. On June 30, 2013, Forum Member Concordiaranch, mentioned having 3.25 acres of Sir Prize avocado on a hillside (800 ft. elevation) North of Bakersfield, CA. Eight year old trees in a 20' X 20' spacing are 16' high and beginning to touch. Concordiaranch harvests Sir Prize fruit between early November and early March. CTMIAMI began field testing this variety in Miami, Florida, USA, on December 20, 2012. And, according to Carlos, this variety  “seems to love it here.” Carlos has stated on his website that on January 28, 2013, he ate a California home grown Sir Prize, and described it as having an incredible taste and quality. Commentary: This variety exhibits wonderful qualities. Future reports will update the behavior in S. Florida, USA, as they become available. For more information, please link to:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3391.msg82192#msg82192
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6134.0
http://www.myavocadotrees.com/sir-prize-avocado.html

'Holiday:'
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:43:08 AM by LEOOEL »