Author Topic: Avocado 24/7 Thread  (Read 211488 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Avocado 24/7 Thread
« Reply #550 on: October 13, 2018, 10:36:40 AM »
You will see the Carla avocado in Public under the Brooks label starting in January. Flavor is good for the time of the year, But to say it can be a substitute to Hass or that it equals it, is far fetched. 
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 13, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »
You will see the Carla avocado in Public under the Brooks label starting in January. Flavor is good for the time of the year, But to say it can be a substitute to Hass or that it equals it, is far fetched.
Do you think it would grow well in South Florida, Carlos?  Is anyone planting it?
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 13, 2018, 01:11:01 PM »
If it grows well in DR should grow well in Homestead.  Don't know if anyone growing.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mark B

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 27, 2019, 11:19:09 PM »
Lara Farms sells an avocado that he calls “Ronnie” that may help to fill the void. 

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 28, 2019, 12:57:13 AM »
Mexican Hass 39¢ this week at Aldi...  The woman ahead of me bought 15 while I bought 2 avos and grass fed hamburger......Meanwhile Mexican mega- Hass -plantations have been sending  to Aldi. At least Aldi in South East Florida.

All avo growers in Florida better be careful because Mexican Hass plantations are shipping out bigly and the average consumer don't care.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:03:50 AM by zands »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: February 28, 2019, 06:34:08 AM »
I understand about Mexico's production but also that Aldi has a long standing use for certain fruits as "Loss Leaders" to get customers in the door.

My wife used to always take the Aldi sale sheet to Wal Mart and use their price match policy to cherry pick every loss leader in town.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 28, 2019, 09:00:25 AM »
I understand about Mexico's production but also that Aldi has a long standing use for certain fruits as "Loss Leaders" to get customers in the door. My wife used to always take the Aldi sale sheet to Wal Mart and use their price match policy to cherry pick every loss leader in town.

Aldi has been running all kinds of amusing loss leaders for years. You can go on line to see your local Aldi loss leaders for this week.
Anyways...Aldis has been loss leading on Mexican Hass 5-6 weeks this year (season going back to December 2018) at 49¢ and 39¢ each and customers have been raiding the shipping boxes put out there.

This says to me there is Mexican Hass over production, at least this year. Meanwhile sad ol Publix has Hass at 99¢
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:03:27 AM by zands »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 28, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »
Ive achieved avo 24/7 here in CA.  Havent bought any for over a year. 

Sir Prize is in season now.  This is maybe my favorite avocado. 

Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 28, 2019, 04:51:21 PM »
Congratulations, Brad.  That's great!
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #559 on: February 28, 2019, 10:18:13 PM »
Not surprised the Hass comparisons to Carla are probably way off. People love to exaggerate that kind of stuff. Bet it tastes like Choquette or something

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 01, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »
Best Hass I can do is Sam's Club in San Antonio.  Five 10 ouncers for 4 bucks.

Ever since the Mexican cartel moved in on the growers, producers, transporters it's not been the same for Mexican Hass.  There have been many a time in the past few years where we paid $1.78 or more for a Hass and it ends looking like this one on the right purchased from a local big box grocer (HEB).  Sam's Club on the left.  Always excellent quality, picked mature.

Thanks to the very kind generosity of a member here I have new grafts/trees of Sharwil, Lamb Hass, Pinkerton, GEM and Ardith shooting the moon. And my 12' Reed I grafted to a Florida pit in 2012 is about to explode in blooms.  It came back from the dead after a heater failure nailed it last year - 18F.

3 weeks ago and growing like a weed.  One of the most beautiful avocado trees I've seen.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:51:40 AM by Mark in Texas »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 01, 2019, 01:16:52 PM »
Reed is something else. Huge demand here in avocado city. When there's a reed around I don't look at any other 'cado.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 01, 2019, 03:48:01 PM »

It came back from the dead after a heater failure nailed it last year - 18F.

3 weeks ago and growing like a weed.  One of the most beautiful avocado trees I've seen.

Wow Mark, that is an impressive growth! Looks like you need to prune the top already before long! So, you are letting this tree holds fruits this year, I supposed...?
Sam

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 02, 2019, 11:21:54 AM »

What does your 24/7 avocado yearly schedule look like?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 02, 2019, 11:27:57 AM »

What does your 24/7 avocado yearly schedule look like?

Winter:
Bacon
Fuerte
Sir Prize

Spring:
Hass
Pinkerton

Summer:
Hass
Lamb hass
Reed

Fall:
Reed
Mexicola
Stewart

I've got a bunch more that aren't producing yet also.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 02, 2019, 04:04:24 PM »
"Won't you be my neighbor?"
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 02, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »
 :D John, I'm actually sick of avocados.  My neighbors and friends get lots of free fruit.

Heres the list of new trees that are not yet making fruit.

Green gold
Sharwil
Jan boyce
Kahaluu
Murshige
Nishikawa
Yamagata
Malama
Fujikawa
Ota
Gem
Jim bacon
Gwen
Ardith
Nabal
Carmen
Hellen
Daily 11
Holiday
Mexicola grande
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 02, 2019, 04:19:29 PM »
This is breakfast once a week or so.  I can't eat much more than that I'm pretty burnt out on them.  My wife can eat a lot of it.

Brad Spaugh

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 03, 2019, 01:38:22 AM »
Brad, I have the same thing going on, and it could be worse...if you live in the other 49 states. Your body will love you.
-Chris

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 03, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
Wow Mark, that is an impressive growth! Looks like you need to prune the top already before long! So, you are letting this tree holds fruits this year, I supposed...?

Hell ya.  You should see the 3 trunks! They're a good 3" and lignified.  I'll top it soon.  My ridge is 18' which is good for the trees, a bitch when it comes to heating that much cubic feet. We have a hard freeze come next morn - 22F.  My new heater and alarm are ready.

BTW, wife and I were watching Moveable Feast (PBS) filmed at an avocado orchard/goat's milk/veggie ranch Casitas Estate in San Luis Obispo and they had a shot of this old HUGE 80' avocado tree with I swear had a 4' trunk.  Anyone ever been there?  https://www.finecooking.com/moveablefeast/episode/san-luis-obispo-ca-610   

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 03, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
This is breakfast once a week or so.  I can't eat much more than that I'm pretty burnt out on them.  My wife can eat a lot of it.

We love it smashed on toast topped with our famous homegrown blood orange marmalade.  This stuff is to die for.

"Secret" tweeks are steeping a small stick of cinnamon and one french vanilla bean and adding a pinch or two of cardamon.  No need for pectin if you steep the  seeds contained in a screw top tea strainer.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 08:58:02 AM by Mark in Texas »

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 03, 2019, 09:48:02 AM »
"Casitas Estate" is in San Luis Obispo County (not San Luis Obispo city) between Arroyo Grande and Lopez Lake.  San Luis Obispo County is considered the 5th least affordable county in the US.  It is the county of Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach, and recently "wine country".  Been here over 50 years and what had been ag land and grazing land is covered with wine grapes now.  Beautiful area with outstanding climate...still quite rural.  Midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, not at all heavily populated. 5 years of drought is past now, we hope, as we are well above average rainfall this year with more to come.  Feel lucky to have a part of this place.  (don't move here...it's awful)

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 03, 2019, 10:23:24 AM »
"Casitas Estate" is in San Luis Obispo County (not San Luis Obispo city) between Arroyo Grande and Lopez Lake.  San Luis Obispo County is considered the 5th least affordable county in the US.  It is the county of Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach, and recently "wine country".  Been here over 50 years and what had been ag land and grazing land is covered with wine grapes now.  Beautiful area with outstanding climate...still quite rural.  Midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, not at all heavily populated. 5 years of drought is past now, we hope, as we are well above average rainfall this year with more to come.  Feel lucky to have a part of this place.  (don't move here...it's awful)

Sounds like a paradise, lucky you!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 03, 2019, 11:03:00 PM »
I guess if it's fifth LEAST affordable county in the U.S., not too many of us can afford to move there so you don't have to worry.  Is a monoculture of wine grapes really an improvement over ag and grazing land? (more diversified?)  Just wondering.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:51:09 AM by johnb51 »
John

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 04, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »
Certainly not an improvement over the grazing and natural fields.  It IS an improvement over the increasing development and housing that covers those grazing lands.  Our local university which has always been agriculture oriented offers many classes on enology and viticulture.  Perhaps a degree.  Times are changing.