Author Topic: Citrus Patch Budding  (Read 1952 times)

fruitmentor

• Morgan Hill, California
    • View Profile
    • fruitmentor
Citrus Patch Budding
« on: June 12, 2016, 10:12:02 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I experimented with patch budding citrus last year and found that it worked very well. I understand that it is a popular technique in Spain and after trying it, I can see why. It is very easy and gives a high success rate. I wrote a new article and published a new video on YouTube. You can find them here:

Citrus Patch Budding (step-by-step)
Citrus Patch Budding video

I hope that you enjoy these!

Best regards,
Dan Willey

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus Patch Budding
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »
Thanks Dan for sharing your knowledge.   Your efforts are greatly appreciated. - Millet

cory

• USA, NJ, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 12:07:25 AM »
Thanks Dan.  I am planning to try grafting in a few days so your posting is timely for me.

Cory

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 09:39:42 AM »
Great video ! I can't wait to try . Video made it look easy. Very clear. Thanks. Tom

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 12:07:17 PM »
as always another great video. Thanks for all the knowledge and time you put into these videos, they've helped me a lot on grafting, not just with citrus but with other fruit trees as well. I've successfully grafted many varieties onto my trees because of your videos. Thanks again!

With this patch budding giving you high success rate but slow growth, which method do you prefer the most?

fruitmentor

• Morgan Hill, California
    • View Profile
    • fruitmentor
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 05:44:12 PM »
I am glad that you all enjoyed the patch budding video.

An update on my patch budding:
The patch bud that I compared to a scion graft in the video overtook the scion graft and ended up growing much faster. The patch bud was on a larger diameter branch and was receiving good sunlight. So there are multiple factors to consider besides grafting technique.

I think that this patch budding technique is very easy and very useful and I will continue to experiment with it. I think the best technique will depend upon circumstances.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk