Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283581 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »
I was had the opportunity to try a few Fairchilds on my last visit. I thought they were pretty good. I kept a seed, which has already sprouted and growing well.  Another advantage to this variety is that its supposed to be polyembryonic.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
Here is a Valencia Pride I just ate:

This Valencia Pride was just about 6in long and from others I have seen this is on the smaller size for "VP". The array of colors on this fruit is very pretty. The seed is thin and long and there is a high amount of flesh to seed. The flesh is yellow and has some fiber. The taste reminded me of a bland nectarine.

-joep450

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 11:08:53 PM »
Here are some mangos i just picked:
Some of these i've never eaten before, like Fukuda, Harumanis, and Smith. Of the new ones only got to try the Fukuda so far. It was still a bit on the hard side when i cut it but still tasted quite nice, but nothing out of the ordinary. Has a little bit of fiber, but not objectionable. Will review the others later as i slice them.
Question about the Fairchild...is it really a Fairchild? As you can see it has a slight pinkish tinge. Is that possible?
My Fairchild is always green with a slight pale yellow crown
Joe

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 08:55:50 AM »
I was had the opportunity to try a few Fairchilds on my last visit. I thought they were pretty good. I kept a seed, which has already sprouted and growing well.  Another advantage to this variety is that its supposed to be polyembryonic.

Its not. Where did you read/hear this?

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 11:43:51 AM »
Here is a list noting the Fairchild. I have seen others that left the Fairchild off the poly list.
http://stfc.org.au/mangoes-polyembryonic 

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
Aw that would suck if it was a mono.  yeah I had only did a search online, and as everyone knows the Internet never lies  :P ::)   oh well, I will probably let it grow,  I also have a  ST Maui seedling I planted which I have no idea if its a mono or poly.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
Aw that would suck if it was a mono.  yeah I had only did a search online, and as everyone knows the Internet never lies  :P ::)   oh well, I will probably let it grow,  I also have a  ST Maui seedling I planted which I have no idea if its a mono or poly.

Pretty sure it is also mono.  :-[
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »
Here is a list noting the Fairchild. I have seen others that left the Fairchild off the poly list.
http://stfc.org.au/mangoes-polyembryonic

Interesting list.  I was sure I heard over the weekend some mention of a seedling of Carabao?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 07:21:53 PM »
Curiously, that list has Fairchild as polyembryonic -- maybe it is?

One thing to point out is that just because a seed only gives one sprout doesn't preclude the possibility of it being polyembryonic. For example, the lemon zest and orange sherbet (which are polymbryonic) have both have given me plenty of seeds with only one sprout. I'd say that a minority of the seeds I grew from them had multiple sprouts.

I cracked open the husks on a couple of coco cream seeds, and they appear to have multiple embryos -- which is odd seeing as how it's a cross of two monoembryonic parents. I guess it's possible that some of the embryos are sterile? I planted them out; we'll see.
Jeff  :-)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 07:48:59 PM »

One thing to point out is that just because a seed only gives one sprout doesn't preclude the possibility of it being polyembryonic. For example, the lemon zest and orange sherbet (which are polymbryonic) have both have given me plenty of seeds with only one sprout. I'd say that a minority of the seeds I grew from them had multiple sprouts.

I cracked open the husks on a couple of coco cream seeds, and they appear to have multiple embryos -- which is odd seeing as how it's a cross of two monoembryonic parents. I guess it's possible that some of the embryos are sterile? I planted them out; we'll see.

So how can LZ and OS be poly yet not true the parent?

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 08:02:51 PM »
One of the embryos is sexually produced, a hybrid. The rest are clones.

I got two out of a Kent recently, but the 2nd grew out of what looked like a broken off root, so probably a fluke.
Shane

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 08:31:55 PM »
Hey I have a polyembriotic Valencia Pride seedling. it hatched three stems from the seed.

I'm keeping this one around.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2013, 10:49:29 AM »
I didn't look closely enough, but perhaps the other embryos were too weak to sprout? Or maybe they were sterile? All I know is that I planted out many LZ and OS seedlings and only a percentage of them gave more than one plant.

So, the point is -- just because you only see one plant arise from a seed, don't automatically assume that it's monoembryonic. And the converse is also true -- if you see multiple sprouts, first inspect to ensure they have completely separate rootsystems before assuming polyembryony.

So how can LZ and OS be poly yet not true the parent?
Jeff  :-)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »
Hey I have a polyembriotic Valencia Pride seedling. it hatched three stems from the seed.

I'm keeping this one around.

The Valencia pride seed from the mango I reviewed above looked really poly to me as well, I am growing it as root stock so ill have to see how this comes out.

-joep450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
Here is a mango I bought from Excalibur called "OKPT" last week. When I picked up this interesting mango I asked the Latino gal behind the counter what "OKPT" stood for and she said she wasn't sure and it was mis labeled so let the guessing games begin?!?! Could this be okrung pi tong?...it is definitely from the orient.

So where do I begin, I loved this mango. It is long at just over 7in and had a hefty weight to it, great length as well as width. This was ripe with yellow skin and brown spots. The flesh was light yellow, fiberless, and seemed like it was on its way to jelly seed the closer to the seed you ate. The flesh to seed ratio was incredible lots of delish mango to eat. The seed is the longest mango seed I have yet see at just over 6in and was very thin. The taste was very different from your tropical peach pineapple or pungent indian "funk" flavor, it was to me the flavor of banana and sugar cane combined. I am going to grow the seed from this mango just incase our paths never meet again.

-joep450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 10:59:54 PM »
Here is a keo savoy mango I bought from Excalibur last week.

I am pretty sure that the keo savoy is supposed to be eaten green, this mango despite how green is was had a lot of give to it and felt ripe. This is a smaller mango which is 5 inches long with not too much girth and a lowercase "j" shape. When I slowly passed my knife through the side of the mango along the seed I could heard a "crackling" sound and before I had finished the cut I knew this was a tough mango. The flesh was a deep yellow and firm. What I found very  interesting was that the the fiber was not long and stringy like in those Haitian mangos from the store but short and bristly which was noticeable, not a fan of the mouth feel. In one of the photos above you can see some very small brownish bristles if you look closely. The flavor was just ok and had a sweet taste that faded to "funk" aftertaste complex. I thought the seed was odd looking as well.

-joep450

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2013, 08:09:37 AM »
Here is a keo savoy mango I bought from Excalibur last week.

Looks somewhat different than mine. Mine look less hooked.  But yes, one of the best green eating mangoes....very mediocre when ripe.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 08:13:53 AM »
Here is a mango I bought from Excalibur called "OKPT" last week. When I picked up this interesting mango I asked the Latino gal behind the counter what "OKPT" stood for and she said she wasn't sure and it was mis labeled so let the guessing games begin?!?! Could this be okrung pi tong?...it is definitely from the orient.

So where do I begin, I loved this mango. It is long at just over 7in and had a hefty weight to it, great length as well as width. This was ripe with yellow skin and brown spots. The flesh was light yellow, fiberless, and seemed like it was on its way to jelly seed the closer to the seed you ate. The flesh to seed ratio was incredible lots of delish mango to eat. The seed is the longest mango seed I have yet see at just over 6in and was very thin. The taste was very different from your tropical peach pineapple or pungent indian "funk" flavor, it was to me the flavor of banana and sugar cane combined. I am going to grow the seed from this mango just incase our paths never meet again.

-joep450

Could it be Okrung Pi Khun Tong?  That's one of the ones I am growing that this sounds like based on the letters. However, my recollection is that mine are not quite as long and thin.....they are more squat in shape.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »
Here is a mango I bought from Excalibur last week called xaoi cat hoa loc:

This was a pretty good size mango at 5.5 inches long and weighing in at 578g. The top shoulders of this mango had some slight splits which turned dark brown. When I cut the top off I was surprised by how strong the smell was, I could clearly smell it's sweetness from 3 ft away on the counter top with just the top removed. The flesh was a bright orange color, completely fiberless and smooth with some juice. The seed was pretty large but so was the mango with plenty of edible flesh. The taste was delicious and had hints of honey dew melon with a slight orange flavor and almost no tart. The smell  was very  aromatic. I enjoyed just smelling this mango let alone eating it lol. Random fact xaoi is the Vietnamese word for mango. Overall awesome mango.

-Joep450

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2013, 12:02:12 PM »

This is a Bailey's Marvel. I apologize if it's a fairly common mango, but I had never actually seen it for sale before around here and had never tasted it.

One of the best smelling mangos I've ever encountered, I had high hopes.  It certainly has some light fiber in it, and while sweet it has a slightly funky undertone and what I would call a very slight "green" after taste.  I would put it just ever so slightly ahead of a good quality Haden.  Disappointing, and I wouldn't grow it and would only purchase it again if it was all I could get.

Hey, anythings better than a Tommy, right? ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:03:50 PM by Slopfog »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2013, 02:14:33 PM »
Not sure where you got that Bailey's Marvel, nor what may have happened to it in the developmental stages, but a fully ripe Bailey's Marvel...at least the ones that I have had, do not have any of the negative characteristics you describe.  It is a really richly flavored, generally fiberless, delicious mango which has an overall eating experience that I would classify as no less than excellent.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2013, 09:19:57 PM »
Ate my first Coconut Cream and first Ugly Betty today.

CC definitely had a coconut taste.  Not sure how to describe Betty, nice flavor, no aspect stood out. Let's call it "balanced."

Both mangos struck me as a bit watery, though.  They seemed very ripe, so I'm looking forward to trying them again slightly less ripe.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:55 PM »
Here is a mango I got from Excalibur that had "TBK" written on it. The lady behind the counter said this was tog bi con, yet I was under the impression tog bi con was an Asian cultivar looking similar to ivory from an earlier Harry post. Bottom line is I can't find any info on "tog bi con" and so I have another mystery mango to review without the "peach buttercream nirvana" name bias.

This mango was almost 5in long and weighed 517g. The mango was ripe yellow with some slight green areas and slight pink blush on the top (hard to see in picture). It is more of a wide mango being just slightly longer than it is wide. When I cut the mango open it was absent of any strong delightful smell, but was was perfectly ripe absent of any soft spots on the beak with no bruising elsewhere. The flesh was a yellow orange, and completely fiberless. I had a difficult time evaluating the taste of this mango.  Its greatest feature was the large quantity of silky smooth fiberless flesh and then it was sweet. If i could try and relate it to another mango i would say the alphonso mango, which most people find as a delicious mango and what i think is a great all around mango that most people enjoy; this is partly because it is balanced and doesn't sway in any one direction taste wise yet it is sweet and has delicious texture. Overall this mango was great eating mango.

-joep450

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
Yeah, not at all like either of the incarnations of Tog Bi Con that I have seen.  The one I have I am convinced is a mis-marked Ivory.  The Tog Bi Con I saw at the Broward Rare fruit council property is small and skinny in shape with a sort of twist to it.  No way this is Tog Bi Con.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2013, 10:14:28 PM »
Slopfrog: baileys marvel may be a common mango yet I have still yet to try one on my own, I think I have tried one in passing at a fest but I can't remember, either way the point is to collect pics of mangos and compare tasting notes and I appreciated your post no apology necessary. I recently picked up a nice looking Haden and a Carrie which I will review shortly and I'm pretty sure everyone has had Carrie before! Lol

-joep450