Author Topic: How fast does Moringa typically grow?  (Read 3984 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
How fast does Moringa typically grow?
« on: August 24, 2014, 01:56:35 PM »
I had some random Moringa oleifera seeds from a past source I forgot. The Moringa seeds were a pack of 20 to 50 originally, not a pkm1 selection etc. Anyway, I gave several seeds to my friends father who planted them out about 3 months ago. One of the Moringa seedlings is growing so fast in SoCal, it is already over 8ft tall. I was wondering if this is the normal growth rate for Moringa in tropical climates?

Btw, I know this is closer to a vegetable, however Moringa oleifera fruits with the pods (figured it would fit under this board).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Ant21

• Carson, Ca.90745 10b
    • View Profile
Re: How fast does Moringa typically grow?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »
Moringa is a fast grower here in So.Cali they will stop growing during winter time. That is why you have to prune them during spring or else they will grow tall and flimsy. They do not like slot of water either.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:58:29 PM »
Moringa is a very fast growing tree.  Grows as fast as Mulberry, Ice Cream Bean, or Jamaican cherry.  I trim mine at least twice a year to keep them low enough to harvest.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:03:22 PM »

I planted a PKM 1 variety seed last April and got more than 100 pods off it in December. It really took off. Very fast grower and productive as well.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 01:30:29 AM »
Do I have to put it in the ground? I have a PKM 1 in 5 gallon pot that's 5ft tall including the pot height.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 07:50:14 AM »

I would advise you to put it in the ground. Mine is in the ground. The good thing with moringa is that it loves to be pruned or cut to size. You can pretty much keep it at any size  you want.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:49:56 AM »
8 feet in 3 months? thats impressive, I would say it grows about same speed as jackfruit here in hawaii, but still I think it would take up to a couple years to get 8 feet, I like to plant mooring from big cuttings, then the growth that comes out in a short time is more than what you would get from seed...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:29:41 AM »
8 feet in 3 months? thats impressive, I would say it grows about same speed as jackfruit here in hawaii, but still I think it would take up to a couple years to get 8 feet, I like to plant mooring from big cuttings, then the growth that comes out in a short time is more than what you would get from seed...

I have observed moringa seedlings growing many times in SoCal. Usually though they are potted and don't grow very fast. I have seen a few trees in ground, however this seedling grows much faster then all the other ones I have noticed.

I went over to my friends house yesterday, and the tree is actually a little over 7ft tall not the original estimated 8ft.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
A seedling I bought at 5 inches tall in April is now over 5 feet tall (August) and blooming. Its in a pot, maybe 2 gallon size. Seeds I sowed a couple of weeks ago are already up and about 6 inches tall.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »
The Moringa O. can grow very quickly, usually thin and very tall, but it needs to be top off quite often, if not it will reach for the sky. I had one that produced pods in 14 months. I now have a PKM 1 variety  that is in a 15 gal. container, it was planted from seeds on Feb.14, and it is  full of Flowers now, and measuring feet tall.
If this tree was in a 25 gal container it would probably be 1/3rd bigger than it is right now.I think.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 07:36:39 PM »
I cut two trees in my front yard to the ground this spring.  As of yesterday one was over 10ft tall, with three trunks sprouting back from one.  I also have a pkm1 selection that is over 8 ft tall, producing ridiculous amounts of flowers....but like all my trees...no pods....it seems whatever the pollinator is, it isn't around in Bermuda.  In all my years I have only ever seed one pod.

I have had trees grow 6ft from seed in six months.  These trees are super fast.  Be warned though, once you plant them of them, getting rid of them isn't simple.  The tuber they put down lasts for many months and comes back....I've seen them sit idle for 9 months and then come back up....I cracked a wall with one that was planted too close...trunk got over 8 inches thick in a short space of time, on a short tree...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk