Author Topic: Citrus Greening  (Read 2273 times)

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Citrus Greening
« on: January 19, 2016, 09:27:24 AM »
Hi, My Honey Bell has citrus  greening. I heard the only cure is to hot box the tree for 24 hours. Is that correct? Will it bear good quantities of fruit, even if it has the disease? Thanks -Paul

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus Greening
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »
You should post this in the citrus subforum where you'll get more responses.

I heard the same as you but don't know any details or if it actually works.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 10:08:39 PM »
There is no cure for Citrus Greening (HLB).  Heating the tree does retard the disease for a period of time but is not a cure.  See the link below; - Millet

http://www.freshplaza.com/article/140962/Fighting-HLB-with-steam

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 08:58:35 PM »
How do you know that it is actually greening?  Many ailments look similar ( at least to me ) how do you confirm a tree has the disease and will it spread to the other citrus trees in the yard? I.E. Should an infected tree be removed to protect the others?  Thanks

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »
There are protein markers that can be identified by PCR. It's hard to detect it in recently-infected trees since the concentration is not very high and maybe the branch or trunk you took the sample from hasn't been affected yet. So the earliest indicators tend to be running the test using insects from the yellow sticky traps. Having infected insects doesn't necessarily mean the tree is infected(if the tree's not been "bitten").

Once the symptoms are severe enough: fruits stay green and don't ripen, tastes like ____, it's a good idea to remove the tree since it's worthless. In CA, they still remove the trees to protect the others, since there are so few cases of HLB. Not sure if they do that in FL still, but it still seems like a good idea, unless the grower is abandoning the business and doesn't want to spend the cleanup money before they leave.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »
fyliu wrote in the above post....."since there are so few cases of HLB" [in California].  My bet is there are hundreds if not thousands of  trees already infected in California. They are just not showing the symptoms yet.  It takes two+ years for the infection to show up in a tree.  Time will tell, I hope I'm wrong, but I and many officials belive there are. - Millet

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 11:42:20 PM »
I believe you're correct, Millet. It's been a couple of years since the first confirmed case, so I'm thinking somewhere in the low hundreds, just going by gut feel. I don't think there's any stopping it, maybe just slowing it down by a season or two from fully spreading.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk