Author Topic: Shade tree suggestions - 20-30ft - wind tolerant - zone 10a  (Read 3260 times)

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
Looking for suggestions for a fruiting shade tree that will tolerate the onshore/offshore winds (we are a couple blocks from ocean, so there is some shelter from the wind and salt) without excessive leaf burn or falling over.  Was hoping to have decent enough spread to shade a nice 10’x10’ area.

Was considering Mango, but I feel like the wind could be an issue.
Longan?
Sapodilla (but not sure I want that many Sapodillas as the sugar gets to me, was wanting to eventually plant a dwarf Sapodilla).
Jackfruit?

Thanks in advance for any help!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:35:05 PM by Rex Begonias »

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Shade tree suggestions - 20-30ft - wind tolerant - zone 10a
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 05:11:52 AM »
Mangoes get big here you could also try
Black Sapote
Or a Ackee tree

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »
Ooh, hadn't considered Black Sapote, don't have any experience with them, do they tolerate wind fairly well?

Ackee is a pretty tree, but I don't have much interest in the fruit.

Yes, still considering a Mango potentially, but not so sure about the wind and then would need to be sure I pick a Mango that is vigorous enough to shade the area, but not so vigorous as to be a 40' tree ready to fall on the house.  I have a couple tiny mango trees growing in the backyard, so not much experience in pruning/managing them yet.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »
Mulberry
Regards,

Gary

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 02:10:20 PM »
Mango and jackfruit will work.  Sapodilla will be the best but it grows a lot slower than the other two.  I had a black sapote that did well but I didn't like the fruit so I took it out.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 03:39:48 PM »
Pometia pinnata/ Fiji longan,  are supposed to be easy to grow, good tolerance against wind and salt spray and I believe they are some trees in Florida but not 100% sure.

https://www.doc-developpement-durable.org/file/Arbres-Fruitiers/FICHES_ARBRES/Pometier_Pometia%20pinnata/pometia-pinnata_tava_soapberry-family.pdf

Get a plant if you interested in this fruit because the seeds of this species are hard to ship.
Moh'd

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 03:54:43 PM »
You wouldn't get shade during the cooler months as it drops almost all leaves...plus a wonderful mess on your soles, in spring time when it drops a gazillion berries to the ground, definitely not recommended for a driveway or a sitting area, just for a chicken's lunch area in my case.

Mulberry
- Marius

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 07:17:13 PM »
Agreed, I love mulberrys, but they will shed the leaves and also kinda shooting for a tropical aesthetic in this spot. 

Was also considering a couple native trees, but want to consider what fruit trees could fit the bill first as I’m pretty well planted up with natives already.

You wouldn't get shade during the cooler months as it drops almost all leaves...plus a wonderful mess on your soles, in spring time when it drops a gazillion berries to the ground, definitely not recommended for a driveway or a sitting area, just for a chicken's lunch area in my case.

Mulberry

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 07:21:08 PM »
Mango and jackfruit will work.  Sapodilla will be the best but it grows a lot slower than the other two.  I had a black sapote that did well but I didn't like the fruit so I took it out.

Yes, Sapodilla do great by the coast, would look nice to have a large one, but just can’t imagine eating more than a few of the fruits.  I like them, but I can’t eat more than maybe 1/2 small one a day.  I’m not going to cut it out of the running just yet.  Hadn’t realized they are that slow growing tho, so that is good to consider.

I’ve only had a black sapote that someone had mixed up with heavy whipping cream at the fruit club tasting table.  It was good, but I don’t want to make anything with heavy whipping cream a part of my diet on any kind of regular basis, lol.  No clue what they are like fresh (aka ultra ripe without additives).

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »
Longan would definitely be adding something new to the yard, seriously considering if it may work in this spot.  I only first tried one the other day, and actually preferred it over the lychees I have had, but foolishly forgot to ask if they knew what cultivar it was...

I haven’t heard of those cultivars you mentioned being offered here in FL, but may have to start looking around more.

Pometia pinnata/ Fiji longan,  are supposed to be easy to grow, good tolerance against wind and salt spray and I believe they are some trees in Florida but not 100% sure.

https://www.doc-developpement-durable.org/file/Arbres-Fruitiers/FICHES_ARBRES/Pometier_Pometia%20pinnata/pometia-pinnata_tava_soapberry-family.pdf

Get a plant if you interested in this fruit because the seeds of this species are hard to ship.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »

Mulberry

I have one on the corner of my property, and it gets picked daily fairly high up. Do that and the mess is negligible, it's in the grass anyway.

Yeah it drops leaves but it's worth it for those can't buy in a store mulberries :-)
Regards,

Gary

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 01:30:06 PM »

Mulberry

I have one on the corner of my property, and it gets picked daily fairly high up. Do that and the mess is negligible, it's in the grass anyway.

Yeah it drops leaves but it's worth it for those can't buy in a store mulberries :-)

Interesting that all of you say your mulberry trees drop their leaves. Mine drops maybe 1/6 of its leaves, if that. It stays mainly green all year and I am in 10a. Also I have a shangri la so it is a big leaf variety, pretty tropical looking to me. More tropical looking than a mango or longan in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:34:17 PM by chad6159 »

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 01:46:17 PM »
I highly suggest you plant a hardy vigorous grower as a pioneer shade tree, fruit trees naturally grow slower and you should shield and shade them before having only them.  Mangoes might be the only exception, and have seen them planted near salty breezes, sandy salty soil with no problems.  Even with young mangoes you can add in shade plants like banana and papaya for the first few years.

Casuarina I've seen is one of the best shade/wind breaks, with very useful timber can be cut whole for fence posts, make sure the planting is very dense. 

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 10:02:52 PM »
I highly suggest you plant a hardy vigorous grower as a pioneer shade tree, fruit trees naturally grow slower and you should shield and shade them before having only them.  Mangoes might be the only exception, and have seen them planted near salty breezes, sandy salty soil with no problems.  Even with young mangoes you can add in shade plants like banana and papaya for the first few years.

Casuarina I've seen is one of the best shade/wind breaks, with very useful timber can be cut whole for fence posts, make sure the planting is very dense.

It’s the front yard of suburban residential lot, I have only a small area I’m trying to make shade for people.  I don’t disagree with you, but just don’t really want to be going too wild planting multiple trees and such (not for this spot anyhow, maybe in the backyard...).

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 10:31:14 PM »
ok cool, Mango then!

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 10:48:49 PM »
ok cool, Mango then!

Can’t go wrong with a Mango! 

Would it be a bad idea to go crazy trying to do a multiple graft mango tree?  May look a bit too odd and difficult to keep growth balanced, but still, I have to consider the possibilities...

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 10:59:33 PM »
do it if you can, I am new to grafting, but I have one successful stump graft that took, but the growth below the graft has to be constantly controlled.    I plan more stump grafts once I have tasted some varieties I have planted.

Perhaps best way is throw out lots of seeds, keep the most hardy ones (since planting in your area should be done from hardy seed) and then in 5 years cut back to a stump  5' high and kerf graft 3-4 varieties, this will cause the tree to have 'main' branches of the varieties you wish to have, and then pruning will be very natural to maintain even growth, and only have to control growth below the graft

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 11:20:12 PM »
do it if you can, I am new to grafting, but I have one successful stump graft that took, but the growth below the graft has to be constantly controlled.    I plan more stump grafts once I have tasted some varieties I have planted.

Perhaps best way is throw out lots of seeds, keep the most hardy ones (since planting in your area should be done from hardy seed) and then in 5 years cut back to a stump  5' high and kerf graft 3-4 varieties, this will cause the tree to have 'main' branches of the varieties you wish to have, and then pruning will be very natural to maintain even growth, and only have to control growth below the graft

Nice!  May very well have to try that.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 07:16:59 PM »

If I were to set out seeds for a rootstock, what varieties would you guys recommend using seeds from?  Something vigorous like a Valencia Pride- will that help provide vigor for whatever is grafted onto it?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 11:49:20 PM »
Not sure how wind resistant it is ,but for a fast growing tree id try Paulownia.Doesnt makes fruits but looks exotic with the giant leaves. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32624.0
If you plant these you might consider investing in a chainsaw.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 08:10:44 AM »
Not sure how wind resistant it is ,but for a fast growing tree id try Paulownia.Doesnt makes fruits but looks exotic with the giant leaves. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32624.0
If you plant these you might consider investing in a chainsaw.

Haha, smart thinking, I did grab a few chainsaws when I first became obsessed with trees a few years ago.

If it doesn’t end up being a fruiting tree, I’ll plant a native though, they’re pretty much all awesome to me.  My plant addiction began with natives.

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 08:41:51 AM »
white sapote grows fast, is very productive, and very cold tolerant

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 07:30:06 PM »
How big and full can Orange sherbet get?