Author Topic: kasturi Mango Review - anything similar?  (Read 5011 times)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Re: kasturi Mango Review - anything similar?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 11:40:24 PM »
Interesting, in Thai called 'Som Moot'.  Never heard of it or ate it, was reading up the wikipedia entry, and says it has a smell like 'ash' or something burnt.  I can not translate.

Little below in usage says it is sour and used often to flavor famous southern curry "Gaeng Som." 

I think I will pass for planting at my house, but thanks for sharing!

Also Nanagarden used to be a great site!  But websites have almost become outdated in Thailand, most everybody has moved to Facebook, I will usually cross-reference both FB and Nana if looking for plants for the best price.  Many wholesalers still on Nana, so it is kind of the ag. Alibaba of Thailand.

not sure, what are some of the common names?  I don't think I have.

Did you try Kasturi?

Nope, I only tried the common Mango.

You can get Mangifera foetida for 70 baht, about 2.25 USD. From here
https://www.nanagarden.com/product/283543

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: kasturi Mango Review - anything similar?
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 01:22:02 AM »
The Kasturi fruit have a very strong smell that annoys some people. I've heard it described as petroleum oil or diesel. Being a mechanic most of my life it doesn't bother me.
I think you are confused with kuini, that is the one with the strong smell , that''s why the name Mangifera odorata. Kasturi does not have a strong smell.
No, not confused and definitely Kasturi and others here agree with me. To me it is fine I like strong flavors & eat them since it reminds me of old times but some people (my wife) are more picky.
Strong flavor yes, strong smell no. At least not the kasturis that i have.

Hi Oscar. I was curious on the origin of your Kasturi tree. I bought scions from you that took and I have a tree in the ground here. Is this a seedling you brought back? There are two slightly different ones here in Florida. One is more purple and one is more green. I love these fruit.
They originally came from Frankie's nursery on Oahu.
Oscar