Author Topic: Sugar belle or another greening resistant variety?  (Read 1856 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Sugar belle or another greening resistant variety?
« on: February 27, 2018, 03:30:03 PM »
So research I did last year led me to the sugar belle that I wanted to plant this March but I have started to second guess and wonder if another variety would be best for me. I want a tree that is low maintenance that will produce a good tasting fruit reliably and preferably for as long of a season as possible.  Of course something that is greening resistant is essential. Also I can’t even seem to find a sugar belle anywhere so anything i can buy now preferably locally or online if need be would be helpful as well. I would like something that is a good eating fruit and not a lemon or lime something with some sweetness. Thanks everyone!

Darkman

• Pensacola, Fl 8b/9a South of I-10
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar belle or another greening resistant variety?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »
On February 27th, 2018 I attended the Panhandle Satsuma Workshop. Pete Anderson professor UF was there and stated Sugar Belle is HLB resistant. It was the only Satsuma mentioned as HLB resistant. The use of Imidacloprid drenches will PREVENT young trees from being infected.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:58:54 PM by Darkman »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »
Not positive the difference between resistant and tolerant but Bingo has also been mentioned.
https://www.thepacker.com/article/greening-tolerant-citrus-varieties-gaining-interest

You'll need a nursery license and tax number and make a trip for face time with the folks here. If you can walk the talk and are willing to buy a few they could graft some for you, they may have some already unadvertised. They told me they do supply Bingo to growers.

http://www.harriscitrus.com/store/index.php

edit:
From
http://citrusresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/HLB-Tolerence-and-Resistance-CA-Citrus-Show.pdf

Resistant- slower to develop infection and/or slower
to develop symptoms and/or lower levels of the
pathogen result; also lower levels of symptoms

Tolerant- some symptoms and even the pathogen
may develop at levels similar to those in susceptible
individuals/genotypes. However, they continue to
grow (and produce) fairly normally.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:41:06 PM by pineislander »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »
Pineislander,  Thanks for the links,  VERY interesting and very helpful.  Appreciate it.

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 09:44:24 AM »
Found a sugar belle at Excalibur fruit trees in South Florida. I think the one I got was the last one but they said they will get more.