Author Topic: My review of nurseries I have visited.  (Read 3747 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: My review of nurseries I have visited.
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 07:59:42 PM »
What about Dwarf June Plum the green one's make really good juice but I don't know how I would do in a container? Also plantogram has a dwarf guava. I had one they get about 7 feet tall 6 ft wide no pruning required makes really good juice it's the red guava. I tried to figure out what variety it was and where it came from. I think it may have came from Hawaii but someone else on this form would probably know. But it definitely stay small in the ground.

https://plantogram.com/product/guava_dwarf/

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:14:16 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2020, 08:43:32 AM »
@Bovine421 Lucas has a pretty good selection of fruit trees with some oddballs no one else carries in stock but their prices are astronomical. Their flowering plants are much more decently priced and they have an amazing selection of those so the place isn't not worth going to. In fact if I was traveling to Central Florida to look at nurseries then I would for sure make it a stop just to wander around. I was there this past weekend actually and picked up a couple odds and ends and came to the conclusion they should pay me since I spend half my time helping confused people since the actual staff is overwhelmed or are just there to help old people load heavy trees on carts. They really make their money off of their lucrative landscaping/care contracts and I know they used to have a multi-million dollar deal with the University of Central Florida so I assume they have the super high prices on trees because they don't care if their stuff is ridiculously over priced, its just a bonus for them.

Nicks-(open by appt only) is hit or miss on prices. I think most of his stuff is over(maybe not Lucas over but over priced) but some of his stuff is amazing. I wont buy bananas from anyone else, but come to his fruit tree prices and you are bordering on Top Tropical's prices. He is a knowledgeable person and if he has a nursery that gets opened up for wandering I will probably check it out and will likely impulse buy trees I don't need since he does have some stuff I haven't seen elsewhere. Given benefit of the doubt based purely on the bananas(which he delivered during the height of the shut down) I imagine the other trees he sells are pretty good sized and might actually be worth what he is selling. I would rather give my money to a small nursery that needs the income than a multi-million dollar corporation.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2020, 05:51:17 PM »
@Bovine421 Lucas has a pretty good selection of fruit trees with some oddballs no one else carries in stock but their prices are astronomical. Their flowering plants are much more decently priced and they have an amazing selection of those so the place isn't not worth going to. In fact if I was traveling to Central Florida to look at nurseries then I would for sure make it a stop just to wander around. I was there this past weekend actually and picked up a couple odds and ends and came to the conclusion they should pay me since I spend half my time helping confused people since the actual staff is overwhelmed or are just there to help old people load heavy trees on carts. They really make their money off of their lucrative landscaping/care contracts and I know they used to have a multi-million dollar deal with the University of Central Florida so I assume they have the super high prices on trees because they don't care if their stuff is ridiculously over priced, its just a bonus for them.

Nicks-(open by appt only) is hit or miss on prices. I think most of his stuff is over(maybe not Lucas over but over priced) but some of his stuff is amazing. I wont buy bananas from anyone else, but come to his fruit tree prices and you are bordering on Top Tropical's prices. He is a knowledgeable person and if he has a nursery that gets opened up for wandering I will probably check it out and will likely impulse buy trees I don't need since he does have some stuff I haven't seen elsewhere. Given benefit of the doubt based purely on the bananas(which he delivered during the height of the shut down) I imagine the other trees he sells are pretty good sized and might actually be worth what he is selling. I would rather give my money to a small nursery that needs the income than a multi-million dollar corporation.
I am with you on Lukas nursery I to like hang out there and I'm waiting for the first cool day in October to get some lavender plants and oleanders. Hopefully Excalibur is as ecstatically pleasing! because I will make it there one day two. I'm into Short cycled dwarf plantain and Nick is the guy I've got a (Brazilian) ( Puerto Rican) (Oriental)((Hawaiian) and an (African) from him. When I deal with him I always round up because I appreciate the fact that on some things I don't have to drive to South Florida! which reminds me of the movie Mad Max :o. Green Jungle and Bob were a wonderful asset to our community and on most things retail his prices were the same as South Florida's
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:03:43 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry