Author Topic: Flying dragon, trifoliate poisonous to cats/pets?  (Read 976 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
Flying dragon, trifoliate poisonous to cats/pets?
« on: November 01, 2019, 10:21:41 AM »
I have heard before that citrus leaves are in fact somewhat toxic to house pets, especially cats as they are curious and like to eat anything that brushes in the wind. Does this hold true for flying dragon or other trifoliate? I have friends that want some FD but I dont want to give it to them, being their cats like to chew on their houseplants occasionally, seeing that it makes it through the spikes lol.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Flying dragon, trifoliate poisonous to cats/pets?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 11:09:51 AM »
Flying dragon is toxic to cats only if they get entangled in the plant.....I guess it would be "toxic" to humans too if they were snared in it. The only citrus that I have heard of that in the sense of "toxic" to cats is Calmondin.....have no proof but....rumor has it.....

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 11:33:50 AM »
Flying dragon is toxic to cats only if they get entangled in the plant.....I guess it would be "toxic" to humans too if they were snared in it. The only citrus that I have heard of that in the sense of "toxic" to cats is Calmondin.....have no proof but....rumor has it.....

Okay awesome! Thank you for the info. I heard that citrus wont kill a cat. But the leaves can cause them to seem sickly and puke.

daytripper

• Long Island, NY
    • View Profile

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/citrus-tree-leaves-poisonous-cats-88594.html

Yes this is what I remember reading, but I didnt know if poncirus contained the same compounds or not.