Author Topic: best tasting fig  (Read 7221 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
best tasting fig
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
Hi,

I have been thinking about growing fig. I found info about some Ficus species that sounded pretty good:

Ficus palmata
* is one of the tastiest fruits found growing wild in the mid-Himalayan region, on a par with the cultivated figs
* The whole fruit, along with the seeds, is edible, sweet and juicy

Ficus auriculata
* soft and sweet

Ficus coronata
* best tasting Australian fig

I would like to hear any input if anyone has tried these or other figs.

Tomas

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
Re: best tasting fig
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »
Though I have never tried, I consistently hear that 'Violette de Bordeaux' is a great tasting variety.

-Luke

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »
Hi Luke,

Thanks for your suggestion. But what I had in mind was figs except the common fig (Ficus carica). I know I wasn't very clear about that.

Tomas

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:22:20 PM »
My apologies! :)

-Luke

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
Hi,

I have been thinking about growing fig. I found info about some Ficus species that sounded pretty good:

Ficus palmata
* is one of the tastiest fruits found growing wild in the mid-Himalayan region, on a par with the cultivated figs

Ficus auriculata
* soft and sweet

Ficus coronata

Tomas

If I can add onto Tomas' question

What is the best one to grow in South Florida. The tree I have has always been very lanky and never given a huge crop
- David Antonio Garcia

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »
Sand Paper fig is pretty good. They are small though. They are native to a huge stretch of the east coast here, coping well with humidity and prefferring wet spots - growing well along creek banks etc. They can be heavy bearing in cultivation. They have not been particularly popular mainly because of their size, and the fuzz that coats them, which cant really be eaten. There is a selection called 'bird's eye' which is bigger and better than the regular and makes growing them somewhat worthwhile. http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/Sandpaper-Fig.htm

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 11:11:16 PM »
Thanks BMc! I am sure the cultivated figs have advantages. I just gravitate toward these uncommon species more than the common ones. I may try that Sand Paper fig.

Tomas

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »
I should have added that Sandpaper fig is common name for F. coronata.
I have a few in the rainforest patch that should be bearing this year. I knew of a few wild ones that were quite nice and heavy fruiters, but the floods last year swept them away. I'll post here if I come across seeds of a good one.

morris4000

• USA, Orlando, FL 32801 Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 07:47:37 AM »
Celeste fig is my favorite!!!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 08:24:19 AM »
Hi,

Ficus palmata

Ficus auriculata
* soft and sweet

Ficus coronata

Tomas

I don't care about the variety. I care about which figs can handle the hot wet weather of South Florida and won't have insects drilling into them? I hear about fungus diseases. I have two figs planted, some leaves turn splotchy rusty brown and drop off sometimes. The figs are growing OK but some leaves rot like this and fall off. One fig is Ischia I believe

Here is something on "fig rust" and taking care of it
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/fruit-gardening/figs-disease-rust.htm

Florida figs
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg214

zzzzzzz
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:31:01 AM by zands »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »
Can we jumpstart this topic back up again please? who has the jumper cables?

I stumbled upon a Fig forum full of devoted people who seem extremely passionate about Figs like most of us on this forum are about Mangos and tropical fruit.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen this top Tier figs forum of discussion (http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/best-tasting-figs-2012-6008586)and could maybe add to some of these 20 plus Fig varieties they have listed which seem to be high caliber Figs that most people havent tasted... I would love to get a good cold hearty fruit for my home that isnt a damn apple, plum, or pear;I have plenty of Peach trees! This forum seems to list some pretty good Figs incuding:

Dela Senyona   11
Emerald Strawberry    10
Florea   10
Ronde de Bordeaux  9
Toni's Brown Italian 11
Black Celeste  8.5
Celeste JR  8
Black Bethlehem  9
Malta Black   9
Noire de Caromb   7
Encanto 8
Excel  12
Kadota 10
Barnisotte  8
Smith 12
Blue Celeste 8
Byadi   8
King   8
Battalagia Green   10
Verte   9
Brown Turkey  7
Italian Black  6
Cartegna Negra  8
Negronne 9
Petite Negra   9
Violette de Bordeaux  8
Vasilika sika 9
White Greek  8
Big Al   9
LSU Champagne 8
Madeline des Duex Saigons  8
English BrownTurkey 7
Martin's Unknown 7
Weeping   7
Sal's Corleone  7
Mission   8
Black Greek 8
Aubique Petite  9
Negretta 7
Beall  7
Marseilles 8
Galbun  8
Hardy Chicago   9
Gino's Black    8
Takoma Violet   8
Marseilles Black vs    9
Sals  8
Improved Celeste  9
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 08:30:37 PM »
They have a tasting event every year too, but I haven't been able to justify the price yet.
Shane

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 09:34:58 PM »
Ive been a member at F4F for a couple years now and have managed to collect several of the top tier varieties. The standouts for me this past season were Malta Black and Improved Celeste. The other varieties I tried ripened during some wet weather and were a little washed out but still vary tasty, LSU Scotts Black and Smith. I was not impressed with LSU Purple at all and its a 3rd year fig for me. Ive read it takes several years for it to start putting out the good fruit but Im currently trying to get rid of it. This next season I will get to try a bunch of 2nd season plants. Black Maderia, MBvs, RDB, VDB, Salce, Strawberry Verte, CDDN, Atreano, JH Adratic, and a unknown Celeste strain. I cant wait!!! I worked out a trade with a fellow forum member on here to swap a RDB for a Angie Mango. Im also looking to trade some others for young mango trees if anyone is interested?

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 09:59:59 PM »
Based on this list from Figs 4 Fun, I'm hunting the Smith and Excel!!!!! both are for zones 9-10!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 10:25:28 PM »
All the LSU varieties will do well for you as well as many many others. Don't limit your self to only two!!!! They grow and fruit well in pots. Smith is suppost to be a fantastic variety for sure. There are so many good ones it's hard to narrow them down to a few. I want CDDB to round out the 3 big CDD varieties. I have a CDDG coming my way soon. Preto is suppost to be exactly like Black Maderia but ripen earlier and be more prolific. Malta Black is a must have! It's a flavor explosion! Scott's black a great one too for the south. I could go on for hours about figs;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk