Author Topic: Red/Pink Guava - Which is the best kind? What name?  (Read 18050 times)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
Red/Pink Guava - Which is the best kind? What name?
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:16:59 AM »
I came across Malaysian Red Guava at Lowe's last night. More I read about it more I want to get one. Question for guava lowers/growers, which Pink/Red Guava is the best in terms of best taste, juiciness, sweetness, and soft seeds.

Does anyone has extra scions that could be shared? Right now most Guava's are starting to go dormant or coming out of dormancy. Perfect time to graft as well.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:31:31 PM by behlgarden »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Red/Pink Guava - Which is the best kind? What name?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 11:38:42 PM »
I came across Malaysian Red Guava at Lowe's last night. More I read about it more I want to get one. Question for guava lowers/growers, which Pink/Red Guava is the best in terms of best taste, juiciness, sweetness, and soft seeds.

Does anyone has extra scions that could be shared? Right now most Guava's are starting to go dormant or coming out of dormancy. Perfect time to graft as well.

let's see....thai maroon, ruby X, indian red, hong kong pink, tropical pink etc.  I have a few more reds from Michoacan and Colima MX. btw,  malaysian red is an excellent guava.

JF

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:47:13 AM »
Joe, I came across your older post on Gardenweb too, nice looking red guavas here. I got 6 mature guavas but all are white, some are asian, no way to ID them yet.  However, if you dont mind, could you push some best red guava scions over? I will pay you $5 via paypal for all the shipping you sent including cherimoyas.

Thanks

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:28:55 PM »
I don't want your money Belh. I will send you seeds from my guavas this year. If you want fruiting trees there is Roger Meyer and Exotica. they have 25-30 cultivars between them and they are very cheap.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »
The best way to propagate guavas is using newly formed green wood just before it turns brown. Get a 4-6" piece, cut off the sappy new growth at the top, and remove all leaves from bottom of stem. Leave between 2-4 leaves at the top but trim those in half. Dip in rooting hormone, place in vermiculite, and move to a mist chamber. In about 30 days roots form. This is how guavas are being propagated in the commercial nurseries. I rooted 12 cuttings last year, one of them now has a bud forming.

sounds easier than airlayering I'm going to try it. Thanks Enduser.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »
perfect. thanks for the pics

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:28:36 AM »
Hi Enduser,

The guavas look super healthy!!! Nice dark foliage and Happy too! ;D ;D ;D Thanx for sharing!!!

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »
Here are some of the guava cuttings that I rooted last year. Notice that the wood is still quadrangular. Huge roots form in the vermiculite, but very little activity above the soil level. The cuttings are placed on potting soil for contrast. Use vermiculite instead of soil to root them. Vermiculite suppresses fungus growth unlike soil, and it encourages root growth because it allow lots of oxygen to be present in the root zone. In 30 days pull on the stem if it pulls out roots have not formed yet.

Here is what those same plants look like today.

Flower buds forming already.

so you plant it on a 1 gallon with vermiculite not pete moss and place it in my flowerhouse?? those are about the same size as my 1 year old + seedlings on the ground but I will experiment.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 10:47:52 AM »
This is so cool, very much like figs & much more efficient to reproduce.  Did you use rooting hormone in powder or liquid form?
Tim

lkailburn

• USA, Fort Collins, Co, Zone 4b/5a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »
Wow thats great! So 100% vermiculite huh? Very cool i'll have to give that a try. I always do a batch of peat/perlite with sometimes a ratio higher or lower of either..whatever i happen to toss in the mix hahaah.
Could you explain a little more about the misting station and how that works. Do you have something set up on a timer to mist the plants?

Thanks

-Luke

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »
Great information on rooting Guava's there.  I will give it a shot. My problem is that I got 6 healthy matured guava trees in planters and I do have more space but would rather have multiple guava's on matured trees so the space saved could go for new tropical fruits that I am actively pursuing.  I did graft a lot of guavas in last week, lets see what happens.

On another note, will this rooting technique work for Lychees? Anyone?

lkailburn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
Wow thats great! So 100% vermiculite huh? Very cool i'll have to give that a try. I always do a batch of peat/perlite with sometimes a ratio higher or lower of either..whatever i happen to toss in the mix hahaah.
Could you explain a little more about the misting station and how that works. Do you have something set up on a timer to mist the plants?

Thanks

-Luke

Peat and perlite both promote mold/fungus formation. My success rate was very low when using both those mediums. Vermiculite suppresses mold/fungus growth.

Get it a HomeDepot. THERMOROCK 2.0 cu. ft. Vermiculite (Medium Grade)
THERMOROCK 2.0 cu. ft. Vermiculite (Medium Grade) $20.97
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202187625/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Vermiculite&storeId=10051

For the mist system I use the "Orbit Basic Outdoor Cool 3/8" Mist System" But you can fabricate whatever works for you. The key is that it must put out a very fine water mist (not drops of water), to keep a fine film of water on the leaves when the sun is out.
http://www.orbitonline.com/products/Kits/04/04/10/114/

For the timer I use the ART-DNe Adjustable Repeat Cycle Timer it can be adjusted down to 1 second on and 1 second interval. This is the most versatile mist timer that I have seen. I run it 10 seconds on, every 10 minutes interval. The key is to adjust the timer so that the leaves do not dry up and that a fine water film similar to dew is always present on the leaves. This timer cuts off at dusk to keep the cutting from sitting in water and promoting mold growth.
http://beanfarm.com/product_info.php?products_id=6093

The valve operated by the timer is the Orbit 3/4" Green Jar Top Valve, but any irrigation valve will work just fine.
Item #: 289083 |  Model #: 57460P
http://www.lowes.com/pd_289083-74985-57460P_0__?productId=1179013&Ntt=irrigation+valve&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dirrigation%2Bvalve&facetInfo=

You will need a transformer to convert 110vac the output of the timer to 24vac the voltage required by the irrigation valve. This one works fine. Any 110vac to 24vac transformer will work just fine.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=63548-85538-LE-125C-A&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3482857&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Wow thanks for the info! I will have to spend some time to read through it. I definitely think a good setup for cuttings is worth the investment considering it can be used for nearly all cuttings. Side note, i thought perlite was sterile?

-Luke

lkailburn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »
That makes sense! And in humid conditions I have seen fungus/mold or something growing on perlite.

-Luke

afriadoni

• thanks God , i was born in paradise :)
    • jl. ganesha 01,kotabumi,Lampung , Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • tropicalseeds.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 01:40:34 AM »
hello , this is my best guava variety,

huge , sweet , and less seeds called Jambu bangkok

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »
good looking guava my rubyx is close to that big

afriadoni

• thanks God , i was born in paradise :)
    • jl. ganesha 01,kotabumi,Lampung , Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • tropicalseeds.wordpress.com
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 06:12:45 PM »
thanks..here is another picture.

Do you have the picture of ruby ? never heard that before

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 06:47:28 AM »
i have to look, i think i have some big ones frozen.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 02:41:31 PM »
What great info!! I've been trying to airlayer 2 guava trees for 3 months now, with no root growth at all, very disappointing. When is a good time to start rooting using enduser's method? Can I do it over the winter inside my house?
Thanks,

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 01:54:48 AM »
The best way to propagate guavas is using newly formed green wood just before it turns brown. Get a 4-6" piece, cut off the sappy new growth at the top, and remove all leaves from bottom of stem. Leave between 2-4 leaves at the top but trim those in half. Dip in rooting hormone, place in vermiculite, and move to a mist chamber. In about 30 days roots form. This is how guavas are being propagated in the commercial nurseries. I rooted 12 cuttings last year, one of them now has a bud forming.

sounds easier than airlayering I'm going to try it. Thanks Enduser.

What is a "mist chamber", a large clear plastic box?
Thanks,

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 11:30:21 AM »
I have a six inch trunk Red Strawberry Cattley Quava you can have.  Caribbean Fruit Fly attractor in these parts.   It has to go to protect other plants.   

Beautiful red trunk and looks great, just the fruit isn't going to make it here.  The taste is great and if you don't mind bagging the fruit, you can get as many as you want.  Just too much labor for me with other things to do.

Bring fill dirt and its yours.