Author Topic: Iguana Wars  (Read 6560 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Iguana Wars
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 01:53:21 PM »
https://www.browardpalmbeach.com/restaurants/six-ways-to-cook-iguana-6392248
That was a good joke to tell americans to eat the iguanas because ,,they taste like chicken,,.
I dont think its possible when even most of the wildest american rednecks dont eat the boar after they shoot him because it not a castrated pig and about the bones ,they are to sissy to eat carps .
Even here where people eat a lot of carps and all the hunted ( hunted not just shot) wild boars,i think not even the homeless would dare to eat an iguana. ;D

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 12:20:01 AM »
Are Iguanas a problem for mangoes?  do they climb trees? not being sarcastic, I really have no idea    if so, I would just put some slippery metallic  skirt around the tree trunk so they cannot climb up. works for rodents,

I have no experience with Iguanas,  but noticed at home depot all these iguana repellents, and a billboard sign on the highway offering Iguana removal service,  so my guess is these critters are getting are now out of hand in Fla.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 06:40:29 AM »

I dont think its possible when even most of the wildest american rednecks dont eat the boar after they shoot him because it not a castrated pig and about the bones

What? You don't know what you are talking about. What's so special about hog bones anyway lol?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 06:57:02 AM »

I dont think its possible when even most of the wildest american rednecks dont eat the boar after they shoot him because it not a castrated pig and about the bones

What? You don't know what you are talking about. What's so special about hog bones anyway lol?
Im saying that even the wildest american redneck shots the wild pig and if its a male they throw it to garbage because a wild pork its not castrated and the meat has a specific smell to it.The bones reference was about carps ( a fish) that they dont eat it because are affraid to choke on theyr bones.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 08:27:43 AM »
Yes, you are wrong about pigs plenty of wild pig eaters out here but there are so many most choose young ones and try to reduce the population by shooting many more than they can eat. Plenty of carp eaten too. Many wild pigs and carp even served at schools & restaurants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzGpP1ShDHw

https://www.youtube.com/user/deermeatfordinner/search?query=boar

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
Yes, you are wrong about pigs plenty of wild pig eaters out here but there are so many most choose young ones and try to reduce the population by shooting many more than they can eat. Plenty of carp eaten too. Many wild pigs and carp even served at schools & restaurants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzGpP1ShDHw

https://www.youtube.com/user/deermeatfordinner/search?query=boar
It was a metaphor that americans are like spoiled wealthy people not an insult.I apologise if it sounded like an insult and off course people eat porks and carps in USA but all my fishing american friends that brag theyre the biggest fishermens in the world never ate a carp. And about boars il not start a discussion about ethics here,i have made giant mistakes myself when hunting but killing unnecessarely animals and throw them to garbage ,milionaire hunter style its a behaviour i associate with a small crustacean we have here that kills more pray than it can eat and without a reason,its called the demented shrimp.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dikerogammarus_villosus
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:00:57 AM by SeaWalnut »

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2019, 10:22:49 AM »
I agree, there is never a good reason to hunt and then throw the healthy animal away. At least give it to organizations that feed kids or the homeless or wildlife sanctuaries.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »

Im saying that even the wildest american redneck shots the wild pig and if its a male they throw it to garbage because a wild pork its not castrated and the meat has a specific smell to it.The bones reference was about carps ( a fish) that they dont eat it because are affraid to choke on theyr bones.

Well this is not true. Some slob hunters will leave pigs to rot but that is not a common practice and it's illegal. In the US you will lose your hunting license, pay a big fine, possibly even have your rifle and vehicle confiscated, if you do not take the meat with you for consumption. Jail time is also possible in some states. Even when killing hogs with a depredation permit, some states require you to utilize the meat, I know they do here. The big old adult boars don't taste as good as the young ones(the meat smells quite honestly)but they are still ok for pork chops and sausage plus the bacon.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:35:52 AM by WaterFowler »

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 12:41:16 PM »
SeaWalnut, have you ever tried carp in the US? It is not the one you know from Europe. No wonder nobody wants to eat this.
I once served it to my guests and had to apologize manifold. Such an embarrassment.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »
I have tried US carp. It’s the same species as southeast Asian carp. I’m from that part of the world. It’s not a premier fish but if you know how to prepare it, it’s quite good.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »
We have a little off-topic here.
So, I checked the southeast Asian carp. Definitely not what is considered a carp in Europe.
We have Royal Carp. A delicacy. Very fat, melting flesh, hundreds of ways to cook and serve it. Whichever way you pick, it tastes great. As long as the fish is fresh and good quality :)

Really, no surprise Americans don't eat carp. I do not blame them.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 03:05:45 PM »
SeaWalnut, have you ever tried carp in the US? It is not the one you know from Europe. No wonder nobody wants to eat this.
I once served it to my guests and had to apologize manifold. Such an embarrassment.
Somme people here try to eat all the fruit in the world.I instead try to eat all the fish and off course i ate all the carp species.Earlyer today i ate 5 goldfish wich its my favourite fish to eat in the world.
For comparison,the ,,flying carps,, wich are related to the one in the picture are also filter feeders,taste more like a river fish than the bottom dwelling european carp.European carp has a slight bitterness that these carps you got in USA dont have it because they live in cleaner water and are more suited for people that dont like fish verry much.
Compared to Tilapia or bass is a lot better .
I think that if you would treat the carps with more respect
 they would taste better because even if you give people lobsters but say they are garbage, they will believe it and wont like lobster meat.
For the same reason selling iguanas on skewers like the guy in that article said,wont work because people know its just a little pest rebranded as a delicacy.Might trick a hipster or two to buy fried iguanas on skewers or somme savage redneck to try them once,but you would have more success by catching and selling/ give for free, to people that want them as pets and that respect animals and nature.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2019, 01:46:58 PM »
A blow gun is silent and cheap and easy to shoot

Good hunting

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2019, 02:15:11 PM »
That was a good joke to tell americans to eat the iguanas because ,,they taste like chicken,,.
I dont think its possible when even most of the wildest american rednecks dont eat the boar after they shoot him because it not a castrated pig and about the bones ,they are to sissy to eat carps .
Even here where people eat a lot of carps and all the hunted ( hunted not just shot) wild boars,i think not even the homeless would dare to eat an iguana. ;D

Say wut!
Iguanas are tasty, way better that chicken filled with hormones and junk from the supermarket!
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2019, 03:13:09 AM »
When I kill a iguana I cut this tongue out and cook that up over a fire and just eat that. My wife thinks iguana are medicinal and she eats the rest.

Just kidding. Everything tastes like chicken. They don't call them tree chickens for nothing.

We don't fish for carp in America or mullet as far as I know. Aren't they vegans?

I was looking at a thorny bush to hack up and make a bonsai today and there were iguana inside playing around and mocking me.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:24:28 AM by Mango_Seed »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2019, 05:05:44 AM »
When I kill a iguana I cut this tongue out and cook that up over a fire and just eat that. My wife thinks iguana are medicinal and she eats the rest.

Just kidding. Everything tastes like chicken. They don't call them tree chickens for nothing.

We don't fish for carp in America or mullet as far as I know. Aren't they vegans?

I was looking at a thorny bush to hack up and make a bonsai today and there were iguana inside playing around and mocking me.
The carp from the picture its like the jumping carp ,a filter feeder that eats like like whales.The giant ones eat zooplancton and fitoplancton while the smaller jumping carp eats only fitoplancton.European carps are omnivore,grass carps are vegetarians and the biiggest carp in the world,the black carp,eats only mussels.
The plancton feeders,grass carps and the black ,mussels eater carps are the most eco friendly,good to have fish in the world.
These restore the enviroment,clean the water and prevent eutrophisation ( the death of a lake).
In USA these fishes are verry much hated and killed without a reason just because a dumb politician or a crazy newspaper editor told you they are invasive.Meanwhile lake Erie,the most poluted lake in the world that when it crashed a few decades ago lead to the creation of EPA ,has 3 times more phosphorus than it had when it died.
Only carps can save that lake ,but you are told to hate them, wich says a lot about the mentality of a nation.
The demonisation of ,,pests,, happens everywhere around the world when people want to take your attention away from otther a lot more important things.

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »
What are the top 10 best invasive species, in your opinion? Plants & animals?

If you plant trees around a desert is that considered invasive?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 07:39:08 PM by Mango_Seed »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2019, 07:47:07 PM »
What are the top 10 best invasive species, in your opinion? Plants & animals?

Its hard to make such chart ,because there are manny different ecosystems on Earth and somme that are ,,pests,, in one ecosystem ,are beneficial in another ecosystem.I would say the tree of heaven ,Ailanthus Altissima ,altough somme people might contradict me and they are right in certain situations,somme insects like Varroa destructor,the bee mites and biggest pest of all ,the seawalnut ,Mnemiopsis Leidyi.
There are debates to make the mosquitos become extinct because they spread diseases.I dont agree with this and altough i dont like the mosquitos and they do spread diseases,i see them as beneficial for the evolutionary system .They do kill people but they also make stronger by training our immune systems .

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2019, 08:04:28 PM »
Survival of the fittest. Natural selection by landscaping preferences.

The only plants that will survive in the future are the one you choose to plant in your yard.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2019, 08:17:12 PM »
I saw no iguanas in Jupiter, but tens of the Jesus lizards, including in my backyard  >:(
Does anybody know the pest potential of these? I read they are invasive but nothing about what damage, if any, they cause.
My trees are too young to have fruit, but I should think in advance.

Jesus lizards also known as Basilisk's don't normally eat fruit they are carnivores that mostly eat insects and worms.  I used to have them all around my yard and grove in Broward. We never had any issues with them eating mangoes or other fruit.