Author Topic: Jakfruit 2016  (Read 20186 times)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Jakfruit 2016
« on: March 18, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »
Seems like our wet winter kept my jakfruit trees in top condition.  I really do not have a baseline yet but for the trees in my yard mature enough to fruit, it seems like it will be a heavy fruiting year.

Post some pictures of your fruiting jakfruit trees and let us all know how things are progressing!

Here are some pictures from my grafted Bangkok Lemon, planted 4/7/13 from a 3gal pot.  The tree is around 18ft tall by 12 ft wide. There are around 20 fruit on the tree. The fruiting started in early December. New fruits are still emerging.  This is the first year that this tree is fruiting

There are at least 8 forming fruit in this picture

Brandon

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Jakfruit 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:57:54 PM »

I have a grafted Bengkok Lemon in my yard that was planted in April 2013. It fruited for the first time last year, from almost the very bottom of the tree. I got two jacks, but the fruit was kind of chewy and not crunchy at all. The graft line is not visible but I am thinking that the fruit must have been from the root stock and not the grafted part of the tree. It is flowering now, and I hope  to get fruit from it this year.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 07:27:07 AM »
Your jacks are really producing !  Mine are behind, only 2 with females at this point.  I do expect more soon though. 

My "Super Thai" is super loaded though.  Already 9 or so fruit with what looks like a bunch more on the way.  Only problem with that is the taste is not super - more like bland although very latex free and crunchy.  I do have a plan though -  Jackfruit Curry :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 08:07:22 AM »

I have a grafted Bengkok Lemon in my yard that was planted in April 2013. It fruited for the first time last year, from almost the very bottom of the tree. I got two jacks, but the fruit was kind of chewy and not crunchy at all. The graft line is not visible but I am thinking that the fruit must have been from the root stock and not the grafted part of the tree. It is flowering now, and I hope  to get fruit from it this year.

From your description,  sounds like the fruit was picked too early and most likely the tree was too young to pruduce a truly fully developed fruit.  Fruiting from the rootstock is normal.  If it was an Excalibur tree, the rootstock was most likely from a quality fruit such as Bangkok Lemon or Mai 1.

As for "crunchy" and texture...I would not say any jackfruit is crunchy like an apple.  The flesh is firm and slightly rubbery as compared to the soft kinds which are kinda mushy and slimy.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 08:21:29 AM »
Yeah , maybe tree immaturity was a factor last year.  The fruit were left in the tree as long as possible.  I let 3 of them,  in the 30lb range mature up.  One of them I waited until it completely softened and partially blackened on the tree.  Same result - latex free,  crisp, and low flavor.

I purchased the tree at the Broward rare fruit council sale a few years back.  Graft line was low , and  is now difficult to see.  I would love to see a fruit from below the graft line, but as of now it's not happening. 

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 09:52:50 AM »

From your description,  sounds like the fruit was picked too early and most likely the tree was too young to pruduce a truly fully developed fruit.  Fruiting from the rootstock is normal.  If it was an Excalibur tree, the rootstock was most likely from a quality fruit such as Bangkok Lemon or Mai 1.

As for "crunchy" and texture...I would not say any jackfruit is crunchy like an apple.  The flesh is firm and slightly rubbery as compared to the soft kinds which are kinda mushy and slimy.

Thanks Rob. I got the tree from Excalibur; you selected it for me. :) The fruit wasn't picked early at all, I let it be on tree until it started to split. My tree is producing male flowers right now, but I do have a female. Hopefully, the fruit will be sweeter and firmer than the ones we got last year.

jacob

• US, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 11:41:57 AM »
Very nice bushy tree. Was it pruned in any way, or is it naturally so?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
When the tree was around 10ft tall, I trimmed it down to about 8ft.  I do not think that this had any effect. The tree just pushed out a new single leader from where I cut it.  Otherwise, I have not pruned it.  My current plan is to take it down to 12 ft in August.
Brandon

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 10:21:54 AM »
Nice Brandon!!! Loved the visits to your garden of eden lol.   

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 04:56:41 PM »
Two jackfruit on my 7 ft grafted NS1.  This tree did really well the first few months after planting it, doubling in size.  Then, it did not grow for a year.  Last year it started to look healthy again. 

Brandon

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 06:12:53 PM »
It seems to be very productive :) !!! Update as the fruit will ripe !!!

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 03:20:15 PM »
Super Thai

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 04:25:40 PM »
Nice!

My J31 put out a strange male.  It almost looks like the top portion is female. The flower has a thick stem and a collar that is different from the other males.  I am hoping the when the bud in the picture opens, it will be a female.   

Brandon

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 04:32:24 PM »
Yeah, the proximal part does look female, but lithe rest is male.  My BKLS put out something like that in the past but was more like 50/50.  Eventually it died off.

I agree on that bud.  Collar looks female.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 04:49:27 PM »
Sometimes you have to give them a few years. I have what I believe to be a seedling of lemon crunch / bankok lemon which produced terrible fruit the first two years. The last 2 years, however, the fruit has been outstanding.

Thanks Rob. I got the tree from Excalibur; you selected it for me. :) The fruit wasn't picked early at all, I let it be on tree until it started to split. My tree is producing male flowers right now, but I do have a female. Hopefully, the fruit will be sweeter and firmer than the ones we got last year.
Jeff  :-)

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »
I found the first female ever on my grafted cheena this morning! The tree is about 8ft tall by 4ft wide

Brandon

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2016, 03:24:31 PM »
Here is a picture of my grafted Bangkok lemon from Excalibur, it's not as bushy looking because I prune most of the suckers and thin it out. Has 6 developing jackfruit on it, can't remember exactly how old this tree is but planted it in ground about a year ago.

Joep450

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 01:15:31 PM »
SleepDoc was right!  Here is the first female from my grafted J31. The tree is around 12ft tall and 8 ft wide.  It was planted in the ground on 3/9/13.

Joe, that is awesome that it is fruiting after only a year in the ground.

Brandon

Jchin

• SoFl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 03:22:56 PM »
My Bangkok Lemon has a fruit that is starting just a couple of inches from the ground. Should I remove it do you think?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 05:28:20 PM »
If it is a below the graft fruit, it could still be tasty.  If the tree is big enough to handle fruiting, no reason to cut it.  You may want to put something under it so it is not in direct contact with the ground, like a cement paver. 
Brandon

jacob

• US, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 11:19:37 AM »
Here is a picture of my grafted Bangkok lemon from Excalibur, it's not as bushy looking because I prune most of the suckers and thin it out. Has 6 developing jackfruit on it, can't remember exactly how old this tree is but planted it in ground about a year ago.

Joep450

Isn't this tree too small to bring 6 fruits to maturity? And what effects will it have on a tree's vigor in near future? Bangkok Lemon not a small fruit even by jackfruit standards.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 11:30:19 AM »
Yeah, Joe's tree is on the small side to be carrying those fruit.  I would maybe let it carry one and even then, quality may not be up to par.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:42:24 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 01:39:04 PM »
I put my clippers to work and removed 3 new females from my little NS1. :'(  I will keep the fruit count at 2.   

My seedling tree is also making my clipper hand twitchy with around 8 fruit.  The one fruit I got from this tree last year was on the small side.  I am not sure if this will be the case as the tree continues to mature so I really do not know how many to keep.

Anyone have any advice on some special care we should be giving our small fruiting trees?  I have been trying to keep the trees well watered, not easy this time of year with the winds and lack of rain.  Maybe some extra potassium fertilizer?
Brandon

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 10:03:09 AM »
Cristella has pushed its first female flower. It is about 6ft tall by 4ft wide.  It was planted on 12/1/12.  Ants are farming scale on this tree and I have been too lazy to do anything about it.  The flower stalks take a beating from the scale but the rest of the tree is mostly unaffected.

Brandon

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 10:42:55 AM »
Wow, so many varieties fruiting for the first time.  Going to be a tasty summer !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk