Author Topic: Mulberry Thread.  (Read 71526 times)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Mulberry Thread.
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 06:35:18 PM »
Glad we have a Mulberry Thread. I was just thinking about these today - there are a few wild trees in walking distance to me that bear tasty fruits.
I agree that for the average person, at least in Tennessee, mulberries are not on their radar screen.

I really want to try to propagate these wild trees. I tried a couple years ago when I was even more ignorant than I am now, and they didn't root.
Any tips are welcome but I don't want to hijack this thread.
Are you trying to propagate for particular attributes or just to get a plant of wild progeny?
Cauz they seed themselves like crazy and have fruit in like under 24months!

Another idea dig up seedlings that should be near wild trees and graft if there's bigger sweeter one you have your eye on.

Honestly, I was just wanting a free mulberry tree! Never occurred to me to grow one from seed. Any special process?
I would just look around the trees there are bound to be seedlings. I think the best process is getting birds to.eat and excrete ha ha ha mulberry are second biggest weed tree on my property after syringa berry(not edible)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 06:54:50 PM »
How difficult is it to keep Pakistan mulberry small? Originally I planned to grow one in container, but after reading all the raves I am thinking full sun in ground, but cannot afford to have it grow wild in the raised bed plus overshadow nearby trees. It needs to stay within 10 feet tall... Is it going to be LOTS of pruning? Thank you in advance!

ETA: alternatively will it handle part shade? like 4-5 hours sun? In that case I have room...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:24:46 PM by funlul »
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »
They grow quite large, but in my limited experience, they can be whacked back pretty well.  I think they could handle some shade no problem.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 11:07:15 AM »
How difficult is it to keep Pakistan mulberry small? Originally I planned to grow one in container, but after reading all the raves I am thinking full sun in ground, but cannot afford to have it grow wild in the raised bed plus overshadow nearby trees. It needs to stay within 10 feet tall... Is it going to be LOTS of pruning? Thank you in advance!

ETA: alternatively will it handle part shade? like 4-5 hours sun? In that case I have room...

Mulberries handle shade very well.

Also, proper care for pruning is as follows:

Let it grow vertically to about 4 feet and top it back to 18" - 24".

Select 3 lateral branches evenly spaced and remove the rest.

Once those branches rise up a few feet, top them back also 18" - 24".

Now, select 3 main growths off each of them.  You now have a properly trained mulberry.  Growing in that fashion, you can keep it to a manageable size.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 12:14:07 PM »
Tried  2 more Mulberries  yesterday... Both of them were Morus Albas.... "Persian White" and "White Pakistan" or White Shatoot.   

White Persian is a  terrible bland tasting berry.....Meanwhile the White Pakistan is a popping incredibly crisp vanilla sweet berry...Ultra sweet...Probably should have bought it instead of the Dark Pakistan...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:54:11 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »
Tried a   2 more Mulberries  yesterday... Both of them were Morus Albas.... "Persian White" and "White Pakistan" or White Shatoot.   

White Persian is a  terrible bland tasting berry.....Meanwhile the White Pakistan is a popping incredibly crisp vanilla sweet berry...Ultra sweet...Probably should have bought it instead of the Dark Pakistan...

Good to know! thanks
Shane

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 02:44:21 PM »
Mulberries handle shade very well.
Also, proper care for pruning is as follows:
Let it grow vertically to about 4 feet and top it back to 18" - 24".
Select 3 lateral branches evenly spaced and remove the rest.
Once those branches rise up a few feet, top them back also 18" - 24".
Now, select 3 main growths off each of them.  You now have a properly trained mulberry.  Growing in that fashion, you can keep it to a manageable size.

Thank you so much as always!! Well noted :)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
Tried  2 more Mulberries  yesterday... Both of them were Morus Albas.... "Persian White" and "White Pakistan" or White Shatoot.
Where do you find the white shatoot? Is it local?

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 04:47:59 PM »
Where do you find the white shatoot? Is it local?

Clausens Nursery in Vista.... Huge 15 gallon White Pakistan's for 50 dollars.... They are wholseale and retail... They sell there Trees in Bulk to Armstrong Gardens and Walter Anderson...

Armstrong Gardens is selling the same 15 gallon Trees from Clausens for 125 dollars....75 dollar flip on nursery retail.....just wow!!! Good thing I called around!

-side note: Clausens gets many of their trees from LE. Cookes. Apparently a bigger Wholesale retailer..... So the Supply Chain is pretty Deep.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
Lucille at Whitmans Farms advised me the Sharunpar Local is the best White Mulberry which she was sadly out of stock of... Reviews say it has a Sweet Melon taste.

Wondering if it's the variety floating around here many say is from Austraila.

DesertDreamer

• Tempe, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2015, 09:01:52 PM »
Have tasted: shangri-la (good; great later in season), black beauty (good; taller tree, rarely get to taste, the birds get them all), pakistani (great), florida everbearing (good; young tree, may turn out to be great), Persian (great), Geraldi dwarf (good-great; doesn't bear as heavily as the others).  Note that flavor really can be variable with climate and water and ripening...more so than many other fruit.  And, maturity matters too....the more mature the tree, the more consistent the flavor from year to year.
All grow easily here in Phoenix, some shade always helps when young, but these trees are almost bullet proof in my climate. Shade, sun, east exposure, west exposure.....doesn't matter; just water and stand back.
All views expressed are from my personal experience, in my particular conditions.  Your mileage may vary.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 02:57:36 AM »
I just thought a white mulberry would make a good shade tree since it grows so fast. It just has to be non-staining so people can walk under it. I will look around and see if there are any local place near me. I think Champa Nursery sells plants from Clausens for a good price.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 09:57:25 AM »
how is the flavor of the white mulberry that excalibur sells?  I have heard mixed reviews of the taste of white varieties, but also that they are incredibly nutritious.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 10:30:56 PM »
how is the flavor of the white mulberry that excalibur sells?  I have heard mixed reviews of the taste of white varieties, but also that they are incredibly nutritious.

get your lazy ass up here on Saturday.   You need to get your other tree (s) anyway  ;)
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »

get your lazy ass up here on Saturday.   You need to get your other tree (s) anyway  ;)

My mechanic is holding my car hostage  :( >:(....not this weekend. 
~Jeff

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 11:01:30 PM »

My mechanic is holding my car hostage  :( >:(....not this weekend.

you living a bad Seinfeld episode??
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 11:11:57 PM »
feels like it.   ::)
~Jeff

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 11:30:43 PM »
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 11:40:07 PM »

same as australian that PIN sells.

it's a winner.  unique, sweet...delicious.

must be fully ripe to taste good....doesn't have that slightly tart zing that other types do.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 01:11:41 PM »
Due to budget, I am settling with the little Pakistani mulberry I grabbed last weekend. Hope the fruit indeed does not stain despite being dark colored. Can't wait...

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
Due to budget, I am settling with the little Pakistani mulberry I grabbed last weekend. Hope the fruit indeed does not stain despite being dark colored. Can't wait...

Pakistani is good, but you should try and pick as much as you can as they become ripe because in my experience, they will stain.
~Jeff

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »
Pakistani is good, but you should try and pick as much as you can as they become ripe because in my experience, they will stain.

Oh no!! Can people with this variety kindly confirm? When I did my homework, Pakistani is listed as "non staining". Thanks!

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 12:24:31 AM »
According to Dave Wilson Nursery it is non-staining. However, the L.E. Cooke Company says it should not be planted over driveways or walkways "due to fruit drop".

http://www.davewilson.com:8080/product-information/product/mulberries

http://www.lecooke.com/Images/Shades/Mulberry/Pakistan-Fruiting-Mulberry(RGB).pdf

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 01:04:02 AM »
I dont think it will stain like the Tice, East Coast, Dwarf (the dark purple/black varieties ) but i dont think it will be 100% non staining.   I thing Cook mentons fruit drop more for m aking a mess.
- Rob

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 08:34:36 PM »
I dont think it will stain like the Tice, East Coast, Dwarf (the dark purple/black varieties ) but i dont think it will be 100% non staining.   I thing Cook mentons fruit drop more for m aking a mess.

Agree.  None of them are 100% non staining.

Some just stain less than others.

Rub a berry on a paper towel to see its staining potential.