Author Topic: Solanum robustum  (Read 17316 times)

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: Solanum robustum
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
The biggest problem I've had growing them is that they are confused by the long days of summer, they'll bloom but the fruit doesn't size up or ripen until days and nights are equal like they are down near the equator.

Very important for those of us who use 24/7 light to know!  :)
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 05:17:12 PM »
When I visited Colombia I think lulo was scooped out and blended with a small amount of sugar or sometimes orange juice. They drink a lot of smoothies or fresh squeezed juice (it seemed like everyone had some sort of fancy juicer on their kitchen counter) and both lulo and tamarillo (they call them Tomate de Arbol) were easily bought by the bag full on the road side.

There does seem to be a slight difference between lulo and the more common naranjilla and the Bed o' Nails garden plant even though they are all the same genus and species. To me, Bed o' Nails fruit taste like uncooked yellow squash. Naranjilla tastes fruity sour and lulo taste sweeter and the fruit is larger. My friends there explained that to them lulo is a more refined form of naranjilla. It grows best at the higher altitudes where I doubt the daytime highs are ever more than 80 and more commonly only in the 70's (nights are cold but not freezing). Cocona is grown at lower altitudes and handles heat better. Where it is native it comes in all sorts of shapes and colors and some people treat it like a fruit and others treat it like a vegetable.

The biggest problem I've had growing them is that they are confused by the long days of summer, they'll bloom but the fruit doesn't size up or ripen until days and nights are equal like they are down near the equator.

The names lulo and naranjilla are used interchangeably and usually refer to the same fruit: Solanum quitoense. It's true though that there is a lot of diversity in that fruit, and that there are domesticated thornless types and better quality and larger fruits. There are also some other species of solanum that look very similar to quitoense and can be easily confused for quitoense, See for example Solanum hirsutum. These can be used in same way, but will taste differently.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 11:27:28 AM »
while the fruit is delicious...the tree sheds its horribly thorny leaves and gets very large (20ft? or more?)...it's very aggressive too.

I'm thinking about killing my tree !!  Its flowered a few times, but not fruited yet.  It's almost 9ft tall.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »
Hi Adam,
I planted a bunch at the orchard, two per hole to help with pollination. They are growing quite well, but haven't flowered yet.
What I noticed is that they have a good drought tolerance, onced established. I also planted a few to test them here in the
highlands and they laugh at my cool temps...no leaves drop what's so ever. with the cool temps the growth is slow...should pick
up this year, with the warm temps :)

Adam, you should try to hand pollinated them :) Can't wait to taste them, the fruit...hopefully this year :)

Those thorns are quite painfull...the shaft of the plant is loaded with cat claw's...ouch ;D

At least, them thorns don't stab like a Umkokola :o

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
The pic looks like S.robustrum rather than the small weed S.robustum.I have the very prickly naranjilla taking over my yard and it is the sour type used as a lime substitutre and in asian cooking.I grew cocona but found the large red fruit bland and tasteless.S.baquicha is my latest species and I have a couple of seedlings coming up.I am not confident of good quality due to past disappointments with this genus.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »
The pic looks like S.robustrum rather than the small weed S.robustum.I have the very prickly naranjilla taking over my yard and it is the sour type used as a lime substitutre and in asian cooking.I grew cocona but found the large red fruit bland and tasteless.S.baquicha is my latest species and I have a couple of seedlings coming up.I am not confident of good quality due to past disappointments with this genus.

I thought s robustrum was a typo...and it's the same as robustum.
I could only find one reference with the name s robustrum.  (maybe two)

but I've heard of s robustum from several sources.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Adam -tum is shrubby nighshade and -rum is the bigger edible fruited plat to which you refer from colombia.There are quite a few references beyond Helton.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »
thanks for the info! I always thought I had robostum.  And it was a typo. 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »
Hmmm. When I research these plants, it looks like a bunch of people have it mixed up.

I still have my doubts...because the two species look identical.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 01:22:22 AM »
I think Adam is right, there is no plant named Solanum robustrum. There is a species named Solanum robustum:
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/search?q=Solanum+robustrum
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 02:02:54 AM »
Oscar I will have to bow to your research on this one.My little 'S.robustrums' don't really look like the pictures of S.robustum and I saw a reference that they were native of colombia rather than argentina,brazil and paraguay.At least 6 brazilian sites have made the error and the earliest reference to S.robustrum seems to be the 1894/5 San Francisco municipal report in the Park Comissioner's section.
Next time I had better dig deeper before shooting my mouth (keyboard?) off.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 08:46:11 AM »
I sometimes get confused with the two...So, thanks for sharing, guys :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 01:23:10 PM »
no more confusion JFW69,

I think it all originated from that 1894 reference.  I don't even think the suffix "rum", makes any sense.
I see where Helton, and references beyond his in Portuguese have repeated the same mistake.

As you can see, this thread has the proper name!  I corrected it a long time ago.

I am losing faith in this plant for my garden...it's too thorny and aggressive.  Like a damn Bougainville.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 04:08:07 PM »
Yep, no more confusion, amigo ;D Juá Açú = S. robustum 8)

Anestor also named Juá Açu as S. robustum.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=ju%C3%A1+a%C3%A7%C3%BA&uname=107208852026469120887&psc=G&cuname=107208852026469120887&filter=1#5247414621325445138

Adam, even the dried leaves that fall to the ground, are still very sharp...my foot had a taste of them thorns :'( Ouch! Mine hasn't gone loco and aggressive...this year they are going to show all their colours :o

Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 12:18:14 AM »
Be careful with these spiny solanaceae as the fruits are often eaten by birds and can spread very fast and get out of control. I experienced that already with S. stramonifolium, also with very nasty thorns. Do you want to be remembered as the person who introduced a new horrendous weed to your state?  :'(
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »
Hi Oscar,
This is one of my fears :o Bring some thing in, that can potentially spread like wildfire and cause havoc on the Island :'( 
Time is like a river.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2013, 10:46:18 PM »

My 3 footer is producing flowers. It has officially dropped the 'r'.

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 05:19:47 AM »
There are so many interesting species of solanum out there. I have 3 different types of lulos and they are very different looking plants. Two of them are from cuttings of california plants and their new growth is purple and they are very spiny, another is spineless, and a bunch of them are spiny but with yellowish green new growth. Also have several cocona from a few different sources and some fruit that a woman at a farmers market gave me that she called "Litchi tomato", though I am not sure on what its scientific name is. I also collected and imported some giant pepino dulce fruits from Hunan china last year, and have around 4 other varieties of pepino dulce. Plus two types of Tzimbalo, one from Oscor and another from another source. Also have a few types of gilo and a saw a simular fruit in borneo that tasted the same, which I will ask if people can ID.  A while back I got some seeds of another similar species called S. Pseudolulo. I have since not heard too much about it and wonder how it compares to the other narajilla-like fruits. There are also about 10 species or so of edible solanums  native to Australia. I had seedlings of 3 or so that were called "bush tomatos" and was wondering what the Australians think of them? If this fruit is really tasty then I am interested in growing this species in future too.

This is an image of the largest best tasting pepino dulce I have ever eaten, sold en Yunan china along with lots of other Pepinos, I am down about a 40kg since then.

another chinese pepino dulce

soluman species for sale in borneo, not sure on ID.

Sorry for the length of my post and that my post isnt entirely on topic, I just have a lot of solunam related questions and have never been sure on the IDs of my species.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 05:47:53 AM »

My 3 footer is producing flowers. It has officially dropped the 'r'.

Hi Mike,
Congrats...mine is also busy sending them blooms. ;D

Check how much the plant grew from the last pic...this plant went berzerk with the onset of warm weather 8)

Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2013, 07:45:58 PM »
There are so many interesting species of solanum out there. I have 3 different types of lulos and they are very different looking plants. Two of them are from cuttings of california plants and their new growth is purple and they are very spiny, another is spineless, and a bunch of them are spiny but with yellowish green new growth. Also have several cocona from a few different sources and some fruit that a woman at a farmers market gave me that she called "Litchi tomato", though I am not sure on what its scientific name is. I also collected and imported some giant pepino dulce fruits from Hunan china last year, and have around 4 other varieties of pepino dulce. Plus two types of Tzimbalo, one from Oscor and another from another source. Also have a few types of gilo and a saw a simular fruit in borneo that tasted the same, which I will ask if people can ID.  A while back I got some seeds of another similar species called S. Pseudolulo. I have since not heard too much about it and wonder how it compares to the other narajilla-like fruits. There are also about 10 species or so of edible solanums  native to Australia. I had seedlings of 3 or so that were called "bush tomatos" and was wondering what the Australians think of them? If this fruit is really tasty then I am interested in growing this species in future too.

Sorry for the length of my post and that my post isnt entirely on topic, I just have a lot of solunam related questions and have never been sure on the IDs of my species.

Steve, the lychee tomato is Solanum sisymbriifolium‎. It's great to see pepino dulce has made it all the way to China. There are several look alike species to naranjilla, besides quitoense there is hirsutum and pseudolulo. I think the person that might know answer to your questions about these is Anestor in Santa Catarina, Brazil as he is growing them all. How is your portuguese?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2013, 07:52:07 PM »
I have a baquicha (S.baquicha) which is also known as red naranjilla.The grasshoppers have been attacking the small plant that is really attractive so I hope I can get it through to fruiting.I have many battles with the sour and very thorny naranjillas in my yard.The modest thorns of robustum are a pleasure to be prickled with compared to the angry and complex armory of the naranjillas.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2013, 03:16:46 AM »
I have a baquicha (S.baquicha) which is also known as red naranjilla.The grasshoppers have been attacking the small plant that is really attractive so I hope I can get it through to fruiting.I have many battles with the sour and very thorny naranjillas in my yard.The modest thorns of robustum are a pleasure to be prickled with compared to the angry and complex armory of the naranjillas.

MikeT, as already mentioned by MurraySteven there are naranjillas that are thornless, some very thorny, and others in between.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 03:32:01 AM »
Yes Oscar I have seen many pictures of friendly naranjillas. Perhaps should have specified the standard thorny sour naranjillas in SE Asia and Australia are those with incredible thorns and spikes.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2018, 02:00:59 PM »
This is my Solanum robustum, Helton wrote that it is much tastier than cocona

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2018, 02:14:07 PM »
This is my Solanum robustum, Helton wrote that it is much tastier than cocona

Hi! I have a big one but no fruits or flowers yet...