Author Topic: Jackfruit leaves look like Mango leaves  (Read 8138 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Jackfruit leaves look like Mango leaves
« on: January 01, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »
I planted out few jackfruit seeds intending to use them for future rootstock.  I believe these seeds were from Harrys Mai 1 seedling.  That would make them mai 1 S2 I suppose?  Anyway, some of the seedlings had a totally normal appearance for Jackfruit leaves.  But some others looked very unique to me.  Almost like a mango leaf.  Since I have never seen this before, i found a little space to put them in the ground.

Has anyone else seen Jackfruit leaves like this?  If it is common I wont keep them going in ground since my space is limited ...

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit leaves look like Mango leaves
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »
Hi Clint,
From a bunch of Jackfruit seeds i received...produced seedlings with normal leaves and a few mango leafed Jacks 8) These Mango leafed Jacks sure look awesome, I wonder if they will stay like this or change to normal leaves when they mature :-\

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Good to know.  Yeah, I wonder if they'll change when they mature ..  I wonder if there will be any unique quality to the tree or fruit ..

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »
 :) We have to wait and see what happens...I truly hope they stay like this. Both yours and mine, could become the next kickass Jackfruits to rock this world or they can be a dissapointment, only time will tell if they are topnotch or not. This tree was planted at a nice protected location where water is abundant...hopefully this tree will not take long to produce 8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »

Unlikely a permanent feature. Jakfruit juveline leaves are often shaped in weird ways.
Kwai muk (A. hypargyraeus) can also behave like that.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »
Hi Clint,
My mango leafed jack, is also busy bust'n out, three-lobed leaves, with them mango leaves :o 8) What's next  ??? ;D
I reckon, yours will maybe do the same ;)

Also, this badboy, kept growing during winter...while the others were relaxed ;D

Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 05:36:19 PM »
That's very common with jackfruit. They, and most artocarpus, have very variable leaf shapes, especially during juvenille period. That is why it's so hard to identity a seedling artocarpus from it's leaf shape. The leaves will change shape as they mature. It's also quite common to have plants with different shaped leaves on the very same plant at the same time.
My own observations so far, and this could very well be wrong, is that jacklfruits with simple leaf shape in juvenille stage, rather than indented at juvenille shape, tend to be wilder, more vigorous, and usually inferior quality fruit. At least that is what i have seen here so far.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 05:36:08 PM »
Howdy Oscar,
I remember you talking about this and that they are very hard to ID by them leaves.

I agree with you...this mango leaved is quite vigorous. I have already tipped this badboy  ;D Don't know about the outcome of this seedling...as my forum name say's...Jackfruitwhisperer ;) Any Jackfruit is most welcome, in my slice of paradise...even if the flavour sucks :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:59:55 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 05:54:59 PM »
We have wild jack trees here growing on highway median and they are all of that simple type leaf. Would be great as rootstock as they are extremely fast growing. But fruit quality is usually very bad.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »
Oscar,
WOW...that's awesome 8) They must spread like wildfire...Tijuca forest, is infested with them :o The marmoset monkeys melt at a sight of a ripe fruit  ;D ;D ;D

Time is like a river.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »
Interesting. 

The Chempedak/Jackfruit seedling I have growing from an unknown source that we have discussed in the past is both quite vigorous, and had a large percentage of complex leaves.  It is over 15 feet tall now, and is large enough to start producing at anytime.  My thought is that next season it will fruit.  I cant wait to sample the fruit from that tree.

I also have some seedlings of the "simple" sort that are non-vigorous. 

In addition to that, I have a seedling "cluster" growing from about 20 or so BG x Tabouey S from Harry that has some complex leaved seedlings in the bunch.  All have about the same vigor.

So I have not really seen the correlation between simple leaved seedlings and vigor, but then again, the only experience I have is what is occurring in my yard. 

I will pay more attention to the complexity of the leaves.  If culling is to be done from now on, I will give thought to selecting for leaf complexity, not simplicity.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 09:05:33 PM »
Oscar,
WOW...that's awesome 8) They must spread like wildfire...Tijuca forest, is infested with them :o The marmoset monkeys melt at a sight of a ripe fruit  ;D ;D ;D

Where is Tijuca forest. Here they grow wild but are not really invasive. BTW I noticed lots of wild jacks growing in Brazil.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 04:42:27 PM »
Hi Oscar,
The Tijuca forest is in Rio :) Jaca in Brazil, is quite invasive...maybe you have already been there(Tijuca forest) ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tijuca_forest
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 05:36:18 PM »
Hi Oscar,
The Tijuca forest is in Rio :) Jaca in Brazil, is quite invasive...maybe you have already been there(Tijuca forest) ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tijuca_forest

OK, thanks, yes i was there. I thought the name sounded familiar. :-[ Yes the jacks grow wild all over that forest.
Oscar

Yogeesh

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »

Hi friends,

my name is Yogeesh from Bengaluru,India.

I bought this Jackfruit tree from a Nursery as it looks like very different .It's leaves look like a Mango tree leaves. picture I Posted here  is a one year old one i.e(when I bought it from Nursery). Till yesterday I was in a mind set that it is a hybrid Jackfruit. when I searched in Internet I saw your discussion please Could you share how is your Jack fruit tree now? (please share your latest jackfruit tree pic)  Still is it having mango type leaves? is it giving fruits? Will my jack bear good quality of fruits? Please share your Inputs as I have limited space in my garden. I AM totally worried  :-\ :'( :(

p.s: I'll share latest photo of jack fruit tree soon.

Thanks,
Yogeesh

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2015, 08:03:27 AM »
I'll try to snap a photo of the tree in the next few days.  No fruit yet but the tree is growing well.  The leaves are now more normal shaped for a Jakfruit.

Yogeesh

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »
Thanks a lot :) Please post the lastest photo

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 11:10:55 AM »

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:18:25 AM by Sleepdoc »