Author Topic: Pineapple Pleasure vs others at Harry's  (Read 6137 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Pineapple Pleasure vs others at Harry's
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »
I stopped by Harry's place yesterday for a quick mango tasting.  I had 2 Pineapple Pleasure fruit that I had purchased from Walter Zill's place earlier in the week.  The fruit were large and quite green when purchased, and had sat on my countertop for 6 days. 

The PP was a meaty mango.  It was mostly green, with some yellowing at the shoulders.  It had some give to it, and upon cutting we felt that is was ripe.  It is a mango that has a lot of flavor, very much like pineapple, with a touch of "chalkiness".  Harry seemed to really enjoy it and was impressed. I'll let him give a more detailed evaluation from his point of view, but he definitely liked it enough to want to grow it.  For me, it was a little lacking in sweetness, and maybe too much tart.  But that just shows differences in palate. Maybe a later season one would have more sweetness and bump it up for me.  Same mango, different ranking, again illustrating the "try before you buy" theory when it comes to mango tree planting.

We had a pretty nice selection to compare the PP to after a trip around the yard collecting.  Some of the other players included were PPK, Maha Chanok, Edward, Angie, NDM, Okrung, Khun See, Florigon, Pina Colada and more that I cant recall at the moment.

For me the winner of the day was ..... tied for 1st .... PPK and Maha Chanok. 

Couple of additional notes:  On friday, I ate a Valcarrie that I had also picked up from Zill's.  It was superb. Rich and very sweet with a texture that I am quite fond of.  I have to say that it one of my favorite mango's, as good or better than I had remembered.  I need to plant an entire tree or get some budwood ASAP.

Also of interest was the Angie.  Normally one of my favorite all time mango's  .... Thought it was awful yesterday.  We tried 3 and I thought one of them was so bad I actually spit it out.  Don't know what was going on there.  I'll keep it in my list of top cultivars, but wow, weird.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple Pleasure vs others at Harry's
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:45:01 AM »
nice mango spread. what lychee variety is that

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »
If it had chalkiness to it then it was not full ripe/ready to eat.  I have a a handful from Walter's  this year and none have had any signs of hints of chalkiness.  Hall have been very juicy with a light creamy texture.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
Niice spread indeed. What are those small cluster of mangoes near and between the 9 and 11 o'clock of the Lychees?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
Wow, looks like a great day for mangoes and a few lychees, thank for the info Sleepdoc

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:43:12 AM »
Lucky you and Harry, Sleepdoc....a sweet afternoon.....

gary

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:08 AM »
Great taste report Sleepdoc, thanks. But it should be emphasized that the "try before you buy" applies to ALL fruits, not just mangos.
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »
nice mango spread. what lychee variety is that

I believe they were Hak Ip.  We tried Hak Ip, Sweetheart (one of Harry's Sweetheart trees is the same as Hak Ip, the other is different and not as good), and early large red.

If it had chalkiness to it then it was not full ripe/ready to eat.

That is possible.  I am not ruling out the possibility of the fruit being better (for my palate) had it remained on the tree longer.

Niice spread indeed. What are those small cluster of mangoes near and between the 9 and 11 o'clock of the Lychees?

I don't recall ...
Wow, looks like a great day for mangoes and a few lychees, thank for the info Sleepdoc

NP :)
Lucky you and Harry, Sleepdoc....a sweet afternoon.....

gary

Anytime :) 

Great taste report Sleepdoc, thanks. But it should be emphasized that the "try before you buy" applies to ALL fruits, not just mangos.

NP, yes I agree.  No need to waste time and space on something you are not fond of.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »
Thanks to SleepDoc for bringing by some Zill mangoes.  While the Pineapple Pleasure mango we tried might have ben a tad off of full ripeness, I thought it had good flavor and excellent potential.  I want one.  We tried Pina Colada, but the fruit, while having some flavor reminiscent of a pina colada, was clearly not fully mature.

Overall, I'd have to agree that the best two mangoes we ate on Saturday were Po Pu Kalay  and Maha Chanok. [quote

Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 04:46:39 PM »

Those would be Thai Everbearing.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »

Do the Thai everybearing also have a Thai name?
Miracle mango is Chokanon.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 06:51:28 PM »

I am unaware of a Thai name for this mango.  It was brought back from Thailand by Professor Al Will. I think the introduction was back in the 1970's.  He lives in Fort Lauderdale and, until he retired, taught the Sub Tropical Fruit Culture course at Broward College.  The tree at his house I believe was seed grown and is supposedly a clone of what he tried in Thailand.  Where he got it, exactly in Thailand I was never told.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »

Miracle mango is Chokanon.
Miracle mango is more of a nickname or marketing name and not an actual United States name.  The mango is also known here correctly as Chocanon, or the variant spellings.
- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »
Well i am interested in mango's that can produce multiple crops in Thailand. I have chocanon and sam rue do who are famous for that. They are both grafted on ndm so i hope they still make multiple crops now.

I guess you have sam rue do but maybe there are more Thai mango's that fruit multiple times.

My grafts of sam rue did not fruit yet but the chocanon did well.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 09:10:39 PM »
Great reporting Sleepdoc! That's a heck of a mango haul...
FloridaGreenMan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
My understanding is that in Thailand the trees do bear multiple crops each year.  Here, they really don't put on multiple crops in each year as one would describe in the term "ever bearing", but can bear a crop at alternate times of the year.  According to what Al Will said, his tree has had fruit on it in each month of the year at some point in its life as a full grown tree over the many years he has had it. At my house, this tree tends to be an early producer and can have different sections of the tree at different stages that make the season fairly long.  However, at my house the fruit bearing months for this tree have always been from May through August. Never has my tree born fruit in the winter months.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk