Author Topic: Plantogram or toptropicals  (Read 8862 times)

live4u

• San Jose
    • View Profile
Plantogram or toptropicals
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
I am trying to buy alphonso tree and looked at options from both of them. toptropicals seems to be bit cheaper (atleast by 40% including shipping). Plantogram doesnt respond to my emails or voice messages. toptropicals is not responding to my ticket that I raised about dying Baneshan I bought from them.

Any recommendation which one would be better? Also, if you can divulge why plantogram (eventhough expensive) maybe better than toptropicals (if its better)?

Thx
Live

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Plantogram or toptropicals
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »
With POG, you can ask to be sent a few photos of available trees and then choose the one you want.
Thera

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »
Mickey at POG is a much better person to deal with.
- Rob

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »
Agree - I like Mickey too....not sure why you're not getting through....
keep trying I guess....he will send you a couple photos that you can
choose from...and....he's known to send a little extra plant for free with
your regular order....I think that's a nice touch!

Gary

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
Live , why not go with something else ?
See if they have a Lemon Zest or a Keitt  . It seems to be a better bet .
Mango Fang's Has just started to produce and grows very fast as do mine here in Phoenix (Big tree but just planted in March of this year)
I have not heard many raves about the Alphonso in Cali and  in Fl it doesn't seem to be that great production wise!
I would reconsider
Just my 2 cents

Mike

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 05:09:43 PM »
Mike - the Alphonso is a very interestingly GOOD mango, with that pleasant (to me) piney
overtone that makes it different.  I like them a lot....

but....

....with the LZ, Fruit Punch, Pina Colada, Coconut Cream, Mallika, etc. you are looking at
uniquely delicious mangoes - you are right....

Perhaps Live4 has some history or connection with the Alphonso, especially if he is from
India.....

Gary

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »
If you are ordering from !!!!CALIFORNIA!!!! by all means I strongly insist you order from Top Tropicals.... I saved at least half a grand by ordering all my  11 Mango trees from Top Tropicals. Pine Island and POG may be the better option for other states, but not here in CA....None of there trees come bare root and arrive in orignial soil, well packaged and in Good condition...Check my link that posted on the forum a while back on my 11 tree delivery from TT.... trees were almost immaculant... They have great customer service, held my trees for me while I was on deployment...If you notice their Hot trees such as CC, LZ are on Back order often, so them doing that for me was outstanding as I watched the trees jump to zero quantity over the week. Not one dead tree !!! I went 11 for 11, all trees are thriving and flushing and have grown a great deal in size
since I recieved them at the end of Winter. My Maha Chanok did arrive in not the greatest condition...it dropped all its leaves after a couple of months...however it has now put on a steroid growth and flush that almost matches my Edward and Sweet Tarts amount of Vigorness if not more that I have seen from my trees.

7g Carrie
7g LZ
7g Malika
7g Sweet Tart
7g Nam Doc Mai
7g Edward
3g LZ
3g Maha Chanok
3g Coconut Cream
3g Pina Colada
3g Pickering
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:01:00 PM by ClayMango »
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »
Mickey at POG is a much better person to deal with.

all Day long!

Mickey is a great guy...I would contact him over TT, even if I had to pay more.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

live4u

• San Jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 06:15:48 PM »
Thanks folks. Yes I am from India and really love alphonso as well as Baneshan

Baneshan I ordered from TT died :( I am trying to get the alphonso (TT says ~80$ with shipping of 3 gal plant. POG says ~140$ :) what I like about POG is their commitment that they will not trim the plant and they will send in the original pot. The only problem is I am not getting anyone on the line and I have left couple of VMs for them to call back as well as contacted them over email but in vain :D

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 06:25:33 PM »
I can also Almost without a shadow of doubt garuntee you killed you tree by planting immediately upon reciept...If you read TT instructions that you are given in the Shipping box or the same instructions listed on the web page, it tells you to let the tree recover in its container for at least 2 weeks.... I have 11 trees from them ordered in 1 bulk order...

If you dont mind paying the additional 60 dollars for the same tree....go ahead....60 dollars is a lot of money for my salary...I just simply cant justify paying that much more money for the same exact tree in good quality.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »
Wild Papaya nursery is also a great cheap website that has good feedback on this  forum with huge mango trees shipped to CA in their original container

live4u

• San Jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 08:03:57 PM »
If you dont mind paying the additional 60 dollars for the same tree....go ahead....60 dollars is a lot of money for my salary...I just simply cant justify paying that much more money for the same exact tree in good quality.

Its not about how much, its about getting what you want. I cant simply write off saying, I killed one plant let me not buy anymore. I would be saving $$$ of buying mango fruits on an yearly basis if my plant can give what I need.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »
I have ordered from both extensively.  Mickey's plants are usually same as 7 gal from top tropicals.  Mickey will send you pics before you buy. Unfortunately as you have experienced, he is much more unreachable this year than in the past, which is very frustrating. If you are after 3 gal size I would go with POG, for 7 gal size and more variety availability, I like Top Tropicals. Heather is very nice at Top Tropicals, and responds to emails as well as calls. She can also get you plants which are not on their availability sheet too.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 09:53:01 PM »

Its not about how much, its about getting what you want. I cant simply write off saying, I killed one plant let me not buy anymore. I would be saving $$$ of buying mango fruits on an yearly basis if my plant can give what I need.

It's not Top Tropical's fault your plant died because you planted upon receipt of shipment....You can ask almost anyone here from Socal who as ordered Trees from Florida and they will tell you that you just cant put the tree fresh in the ground...It's not the same thing as going to your local nursery or home depot and buying a tree which you can put in the ground right away...this a tree that has went through 5-6 days shipping in boxes, tossed around, exposed to the elements, lack of light, etc..... You order from PIN or POG you will suffer the same results putting that tree in the ground in the pinnacle of Summer where even San Diego is getting near 100 degrees at record Highs....Respectfully speaking-you need to read the instructions that come with the package that explains all this.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:55:59 PM by ClayMango »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
I have ordered from both extensively.  Mickey's plants are usually same as 7 gal from top tropicals.  Mickey will send you pics before you buy. Unfortunately as you have experienced, he is much more unreachable this year than in the past, which is very frustrating. If you are after 3 gal size I would go with POG, for 7 gal size and more variety availability, I like Top Tropicals. Heather is very nice at Top Tropicals, and responds to emails as well as calls. She can also get you plants which are not on their availability sheet too.

Heather is Amazing, she calls me out by name when ever call I before I can even say anything.

live4u

• San Jose
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 11:25:27 PM »

It's not Top Tropical's fault your plant died because you planted upon receipt of shipment....You can ask almost anyone here from Socal who as ordered Trees from Florida and they will tell you that you just cant put the tree fresh in the ground...It's not the same thing as going to your local nursery or home depot and buying a tree which you can put in the ground right away...this a tree that has went through 5-6 days shipping in boxes, tossed around, exposed to the elements, lack of light, etc..... You order from PIN or POG you will suffer the same results putting that tree in the ground in the pinnacle of Summer where even San Diego is getting near 100 degrees at record Highs....Respectfully speaking-you need to read the instructions that come with the package that explains all this.

I agree its not TT's fault.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 11:50:30 PM »
I like TT's website better than POG.  You can see exactly what they have in stock without having to place a phone call or waiting for a callback.  TT's website appears to be up-to-date and TT can e-mail you automatically when a variety that was previously out of stock has been restocked.  But the website can't tell you when they expect an item to be restocked!

Just my observation for mangos...TT seems to carry the largest selection of mango varieties available for delivery to California...plus they carry all of the new Zill's varieties!
So for Californians, TT has an advantage over POG and PIN.
Warren

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • Northern California, Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 03:09:14 AM »
I have tried both and now I think "wild papaya nursery" is way better then both

Their plant is much stronger and healthier

Try them and you will never be disappointed

Beatriz , her customer service is top notch

P.s :-  since I am from Cali -San Jose area , I mostly buy 7 gal , expensive but IMHO better spend for money

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 07:59:21 AM »
You did post some beautiful trees from Wild Papaya(I think that was you)...They definitely looked good!!!!!

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:11:03 AM »
I placed an order with Wild Papaya and will confidently do business with them again.  The order took longer to ship than originally estimated, but the communication was great and, more importantly, when the trees arrived they were in perfect shape.

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 08:40:44 AM »
You did post some beautiful trees from Wild Papaya(I think that was you)...They definitely looked good!!!!!

I got more from them , other then I posted and they were all very good

Seriously you should try to , if you still have some left for plants lol

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 08:45:19 AM »
I think 3 gal is pretty much same from any nursery , other then POG

But they charge the price of 7 gal

It's the 7gal where I find the wild papaya really shine

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 08:47:57 AM »

I agree its not TT's fault.

After losing a Nishikawa cado which had it's root system butchered before shipping, I won't ever order from them again.  Clay got lucky I think, and I'm glad he is a satisfied customer. 

BOTTOM LINE!  TT or not, always check out others' remarks before ordering from a company!  Things do not look good for TT.  A "neutral" is not a positive report as it was originally changed from "negative" to "neutral" most times. http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2785/

Look at the grief and losses this poor sap went thru, written May 16, 2014

Ordered over $800 of tropical fruit trees last year and had many issues from the start. First, the avocados arrived in rough shape and died within a few days to a week. They had many of the items back ordered and once they arrived they were smaller than advertised and purchased. Fast forward a few months and the 2 of the mangoes were diseased. I had to cut back the entire tree to the root and let it grow again. They had a fungus on them. The avocados have/had a separate fungus. The palms were covered in scale. I could go on and on about how poorly cared for these trees were. Both cacaos have died as well. We have a greenhouse and the plants we received from FGT and Fourwinds around the same time are in great condition. I would stay far away from these growers. They do not grow their items from seed and are merely a reseller on some items. They are disorganized and understaffed. I know this because we called/emailed them so many times. To their credit they did send out new avocados that died but it was simply another vendor's tree. Over half of the trees ordered from them either died or have been cut back to their roots to save them. What a waste of money and life of the plants. If you do take the risk and order from them, inspect every specimen extremely thoroughly, including the roots as I would personally guarantee that you have a 50% chance of buying a problem.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2785/#ixzz3B1y1457S

toptropicals is not responding to my ticket that I raised about dying Baneshan I bought from them.

I rest my case.....
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:56:27 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 08:50:28 AM »
Oh, my favorite company for integrity, value, and top notch plant material guaranteed true to what you ordered is Pine Island Nursery, PIN, who is one supplier for TT and Plantogram.  TT is a reseller who buys in bulk.

Good luck
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:58:07 AM by Mark in Texas »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 10:09:19 AM »
If I was in FL, I would most likely be a loyal PIN customer, as they are hands down, arguably the best retailer on the East Coat for your Rare Tropicals. Nothing but good reviews. Unfortunately CA is extremely special and like to tax any and everything....The Agricultural inspection fee is one of the biggest charges or your tropical shipments from Fl...Though I can truly understand why CA, producing the a 1/3 of the Nations crops need to make sure we're not bringing in pest, and deseases throwing off our Plants Ecosystem..... The good thing about TT, many of their trees are already certified for shipping to CA, unlike their Rare Pineapple varieties : (

Mark I went 11 for a 11 trees.....I must be one lucky Man :) maybe I should start playing the Powerball lottery.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
If you all knew about TT you may change your tune.  Their trees are no more certified to ship to California than the man in the moon.
- Rob

jbaqai

• JoJi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
If you all knew about TT you may change your tune.  Their trees are no more certified to ship to California than the man in the moon.

At least they are for Nematode

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Plant-Industry/Business-Services/Registrations-and-Certifications/Nematode-Certification/Type-III-Nematode-Certified-Nurseries-by-Name

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 01:27:41 PM »
Clay, yeah, I think I'd play the lottery.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »

Rob

I'm not sure about all the Logoistics and fine tuning that goes into any of this...(I'm not a smart man lol) but all my boxes from Top Tropicals were each individually stamped certified  with the agriculture approval for CA.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »

At least they are for Nematode

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Plant-Industry/Business-Services/Registrations-and-Certifications/Nematode-Certification/Type-III-Nematode-Certified-Nurseries-by-Name

Great link!!!! here is the direct link from that page listing all the varities approved for CA that TT's can ship.  http://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/11842/147348/2450.pdf

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »
I've ordered three plants from TopTropicals - a jasmine sambac and two bleeding-heart vines (wooden climbing shrubs basically). All had dropped nearly all their leaves during shipping and looked in really bad shape, but all of them recovered fully and look very healthy now. So I am satisfied, though the plants' condition was alarming intiially. Orders from Logee's by contrast always arrive looking great.

But I do recommend TT since the plants were well-formed, well-branched, upright, and had healthy roots. A lot of plants, even at local nurseries, are grown so crowded together that they grow horizontally to try to find light, but the TT plants were all very upright.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »
Just cause there is something stamped on the box does not mean anything.  Again, I know things for a fact, believe it or not..just saying....
- Rob

MangCau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 11:49:11 PM »
I used to order a lot of plants from TT. I was a happy loyal customer for years.......but since stopped due to shipments of sick/dead and pencil size 3 gal. plants.
I highly recommend Mickey at PG.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 09:10:24 AM »
Here's another fine upstanding gentleman - Chris Gilchrest.  http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3143/  For years now folks have threatened this guy with everything from a bloody nose to class action suit....and he remains in business.   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk