Author Topic: New variety of superior Sugar Apple the Vietnam variety  (Read 9708 times)

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
New variety of superior Sugar Apple the Vietnam variety
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:59:45 PM »
Toptropical is claiming to sell a superior variety of Sugar Apple simple called Vietnam variety. I'm also starting to see this variety show up at local nurseries. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this variety and if it lives to the hype. It is suppose to have a firmer texture and lighter color making me think it's possible another name for the Na-Dai. Here's a picture off their site, It doesn't look like any Na-Dai I've seen and looks more like a really good Phet Pakchong.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: New variety of superior Sugar Apple the Vietnam variety
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:32:12 PM »
I'd say this looks more like a Nuathong than a Phet Pakchong (which is more diamond shaped). However, it's hard to tell from a single fruit picture. It's either one of the two Thai Atemoya backcrossed. Vietnam has not officially produced any Sugar Apple and hybrid as of late. It seems that they have abandoned their Sugar Apple R&D and concentrate more on Coffee.
Thera

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 11:37:17 PM »
look like PPC to me
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 01:06:28 AM »
They are in Thailand also and I figured it is pretty close to lessard and perhaps sugar apple x atemoya.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 07:05:39 AM »
They are in Thailand also and I figured it is pretty close to lessard and perhaps sugar apple x atemoya.

I never had a chewy sugarapple, do you know how they are called Mike? The ones i ate were all mushy.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
Bangkok I bet the one in the pic is not chewy or dense like chewy sugar apples.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:07:17 AM »

I only heard of chewy sugarapples on this forum from out of the usa. If Vietnam has them as well then they should also be in Thailand i guess.

Today on chatuchak market i saw people eating sugarapples out of their hand like a normal peeled apple. Guess i always eat them overripe because they are too soft to peel and then eat out of the hand.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:24:49 AM »

I only heard of chewy sugarapples on this forum from out of the usa. If Vietnam has them as well then they should also be in Thailand i guess.

Today on chatuchak market i saw people eating sugarapples out of their hand like a normal peeled apple. Guess i always eat them overripe because they are too soft to peel and then eat out of the hand.

My Choctaw/French Grandmother told me she remember eating them as a child in the French Indochina Protectorate. My father who is Annamese/Russian remember eating them and his mother grew them in the Cochin trade Concession. My father is 96 so you can figure the Chewy Sugar Apple has been there for awhile.  I gather When Emperor Ferdinand Maximilian the French Ruler of Mexico could have forward Mexican dragon fruit & sugar apple to the French Indochine Empire and they were bred & selected for the Annamese/kampuchean tastes.  The Boca Giant Chewy Sugar Apple were devrive from Annona ancestor came to Cape Coral/Fort Myer in the 60's.  I visit my DOD Boss home there in the mid 80's and discovered this Seminole's war bride from Vietnam planted several trees on the bank of the Brackist Calahoosa river.  I was impress with a tree and took a large fruit from it and develop it further with my Seminole's brothers and the South East Asian Immigrant and Surinamese Communities here in The Southeastern US.

In Modern Vietnam, the Chewy is prefer but unfortunate war in the Indochine region have destroy a lot of good selections develop prior to the fall of Saigon.  I was fortunately apple to preserve it & select it better for florida.  Most of the chewy sugar apple floating around in S. Florida sadly are the degenerate from the original.  No selections work or stabilization to maintain a true end up with what PIN sold as an easy peel.  I bought from bender grew it, tasted it and I yank out of ground potted it and gave it to Nullzero I Think when he visited me this summer! ;D. I had bought chewy from Richard at Excalibur, I send him so many Vietnamese clients over the decades and they told me its had high variances.  I bought chewy from treehouse back in the 90 and I found none compare in taste and size, salt water resistant as the Calloosa strain.  I am sure their are some Sith breeder in Vietnam with good chewy selection.  But so far the Taitung Annona Mafias have not found any Vietnamese Chewy to Match my Boca Giant Chewy & Orlando strains which took me almost two decades to breed & select many line from it.
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »
hey Mr. Coconut, do you have any seedlings/trees available for sale? I had talked with Ethan, Noel, and a few others but still no go.. at least Noel has some Big Red / Big Green seeds available..  :) I'll get some kind of sugar apple from you guys sooner or later  ;D

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
Coconut,

The Orlando strain is very resilient, I have 4 seedlings right now and 1 of the main sprouted stems got chewed off by a caterpillar or slug. The leafless stem now appears to be in the process of producing leaf buds, I have not noticed this on any of the other Annona sp. seedlings which similar damage has occurred (of course I am only comparing it to about 10 seedlings which the same issue occurred over the last year or so).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 01:13:56 PM »
Coconut,

The Orlando strain is very resilient, I have 4 seedlings right now and 1 of the main sprouted stems got chewed off by a caterpillar or slug. The leafless stem now appears to be in the process of producing leaf buds, I have not noticed this on any of the other Annona sp. seedlings which similar damage has occurred (of course I am only comparing it to about 10 seedlings which the same issue occurred over the last year or so).

Stephen I have been told that all of my lines are so stable in Africa from among the Missionaries & Development workers,  they just plants seeds and grow it to feed their family, locust ate it, locust die. Village children accidentally run over tree, no problem it will pop back up and the village elders dont have to give the kids a good whiping.  All of my line are bred to take the abused and neglect of Africa, where resources of knowledges are scarce.  Plant my seeds and no white man needed to show them how to plant & take care of it: think of it as my personal foreign aid to Africa!  The Orlando Chewy is starting ripe, you will get a chance to taste it in October! The crazy breeding selections certainly give my line the Spartan edge in the Field;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:28:16 PM by Coconut »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »
Coconut,

Stephen I have been told that all of my lines are so stable in Africa from among the Missionaries & Development workers,  they just plants seeds and grow it to feed their family, locust ate it, locust die. Village children accidentally run over tree, no problem it will pop back up and the village elders dont have to give the kids a good whiping.  All of my line are bred to take the abused and neglect of Africa, where resources of knowledges are scarce.  Plant my seeds and no white man needed to show them how to plant & take care of it: think of it as my personal foreign aid to Africa!  The Orlando Chewy is starting ripe, you will get a chance to taste it in October! The crazy breeding selections certainly give my line the Spartan edge in the Field;D

Here is a picture of the seedling of Orlando sugar apple. Main stem completely chewed off by a caterpillar or slug! Although the picture is not the best., you can see small green what looks like very small leaf buds appearing.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:04 PM »
NZ, I have had this happen when one of my rabbits decide to bite the tip off all of my A. Triloba seedlings and a few other annonas. I didn't think they would sprout back but they did and grew quite well. 
Life is good

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 10:21:23 PM »
Today on chatuchak market i saw people eating sugarapples out of their hand like a normal peeled apple.

Those are the chewy ones.
Thera

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
NZ, I have had this happen when one of my rabbits decide to bite the tip off all of my A. Triloba seedlings and a few other annonas. I didn't think they would sprout back but they did and grew quite well.

I have had many annona sp. seedlings that got attacked young and never recovered. But I have only grown germinated maybe like 200 Annona sp. seedlings total.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 10:36:05 PM »
Coconut,

Here is a picture of the seedling of Orlando sugar apple. Main stem completely chewed off by a caterpillar or slug! Although the picture is not the best., you can see small green what looks like very small leaf buds appearing.

Nullzy

How long did it take to germinate? I'm looking forward to grow those SA in La Habra

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 10:44:30 PM »
Coconut,

Nullzy

How long did it take to germinate? I'm looking forward to grow those SA in La Habra

Took about 2-4 weeks. My temps are very moderate and partly shaded, was done outside. I think the hotter days in the +80s really triggered it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:46:11 PM by nullzero »

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
Stephen, I should have been more specific. SOME of them grew back and quite well!  :) The a. trilobas and the a. cherimoyas  rebounded the best.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 11:55:24 PM by Bob407 »
Life is good

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 05:39:24 AM »

My Choctaw/French Grandmother told me she remember eating them as a child in the French Indochina Protectorate. My father who is Annamese/Russian remember eating them and his mother grew them in the Cochin trade Concession. My father is 96 so you can figure the Chewy Sugar Apple has been there for awhile.  I gather When Emperor Ferdinand Maximilian the French Ruler of Mexico could have forward Mexican dragon fruit & sugar apple to the French Indochine Empire and they were bred & selected for the Annamese/kampuchean tastes.  The Boca Giant Chewy Sugar Apple were devrive from Annona ancestor came to Cape Coral/Fort Myer in the 60's.  I visit my DOD Boss home there in the mid 80's and discovered this Seminole's war bride from Vietnam planted several trees on the bank of the Brackist Calahoosa river.  I was impress with a tree and took a large fruit from it and develop it further with my Seminole's brothers and the South East Asian Immigrant and Surinamese Communities here in The Southeastern US.

In Modern Vietnam, the Chewy is prefer but unfortunate war in the Indochine region have destroy a lot of good selections develop prior to the fall of Saigon.  I was fortunately apple to preserve it & select it better for florida.  Most of the chewy sugar apple floating around in S. Florida sadly are the degenerate from the original.  No selections work or stabilization to maintain a true end up with what PIN sold as an easy peel.  I bought from bender grew it, tasted it and I yank out of ground potted it and gave it to Nullzero I Think when he visited me this summer! ;D. I had bought chewy from Richard at Excalibur, I send him so many Vietnamese clients over the decades and they told me its had high variances.  I bought chewy from treehouse back in the 90 and I found none compare in taste and size, salt water resistant as the Calloosa strain.  I am sure their are some Sith breeder in Vietnam with good chewy selection.  But so far the Taitung Annona Mafias have not found any Vietnamese Chewy to Match my Boca Giant Chewy & Orlando strains which took me almost two decades to breed & select many line from it.

Thanks for the great story coconut.  I love to hear the history of a fruit.  Salt water tolerance is a fantastic attribute!   A good friend of mine came to the us in the boat lift and grew up in Houston. I will ask him if he has ever had a Chewy type when visiting family in Vietnam.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »
Today on chatuchak market i saw people eating sugarapples out of their hand like a normal peeled apple.

Allright thanks, next week i will buy some. A grandma was peeling/selling them, they were very small though, as big as a tennisball.

There are more grandma's selling fruit on the market but they don't have a real stand, just a basket of fruit that they sell. I allready thought it should be something special because normal common fruit is not sold on that spot. I will check them out next time.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »

Allright thanks, next week i will buy some. A grandma was peeling/selling them, they were very small though, as big as a tennisball.

There are more grandma's selling fruit on the market but they don't have a real stand, just a basket of fruit that they sell. I allready thought it should be something special because normal common fruit is not sold on that spot. I will check them out next time.

Everything is about Unami. Certainly The Japanese got the best taste with the amount of their disposal income gear toward the highest quality food.  Yes when I travel I travel in the less traverse area and discover uncommon thing; where there is a crowd there is either a looting, a fight or something good for our tummy!  Let us know how the Thai Chewy taste, they are small but than again the Thai can breed & select for a large one!   ;D

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 11:15:01 AM »
    Good morning
 I was curious if anyone in this forum is growing this " Vietnam " variety of sugar apple ? I've been seeing it listed for awhile on line and have been considering ordering it but I'd like to hear some feedback first before I do.  Thanks in advance.

William

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 11:46:53 AM »
I have sold some seeds of the Thai chewy Annona ,I get the seeds from a couple that are from Thailand or Vietnam, and live next door to my best friends house, they say it is easy peel and  they got the seeds from their Country, I'm going to try to talk to them even though  their English is not too good, amazingly they still have a few Annonas on their tree, here are some pics. of the fruits compare
Top Thai easy peel
Bottom Thai E. P. left and Annona Squamosa right

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 04:02:34 PM »
    Carcarlo

If you have fresh seeds of the Thai E.P variety I would be interested in buying some from you. Please keep us informed as you get fresh seeds.

William

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 10:26:25 AM »
Willian I have some seeds that are about a year old Annonas Squamosas  are known to be fertile for 2-3 years and more. I have had seeds that have germinate in the ground  2 and 3 years from fallen fruit.
Carlos

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 11:38:06 AM »
    Carcarlo

I'm interested in seeds for sure. Wouldn't it be better to germinate them in the spring ? My heat pad went kaput and I haven't got around to replacing it yet.  Do you sell seed online using PayPal ?

William

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »
I wouldn't mind a few seeds myself. Or any other good variety for that matter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk