Author Topic: Canistel 'Trompo' Growth Habit-South Florida  (Read 8683 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Canistel 'Trompo' Growth Habit-South Florida
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
I picked up a Canistel 'Trompo' and was wondering if anyone here in South Fl grow one. I would like to know growth speed and habit. Also are they easy to keep at a particular height, say 12-15ft???

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Canistel 'Trompo' Growth Habit-South Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
Mine is over 30 feet tall, but they can be kept much smaller if regularly pruned.
Jeff  :-)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:31:15 PM »
Mine is over 30 feet tall, but they can be kept much smaller if regularly pruned.
Do you know how the roots are? How close I can plant to a house/sidewalk?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
I've had no issue with the roots. It's planted about 20 feet away from my house.

Do you know how the roots are? How close I can plant to a house/sidewalk?
Jeff  :-)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
Hey Jeff,

I really enjoyed your post on ''A Better Canistel'' 8)

Here's a link if anyone want's to take a peek  ;D ;D ;D
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg1216133719946.html?17

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:26:03 AM »
I have a small ross sapote that is due to fruit for the first time.There are many canistel varieties in all shapes and sizes locally and several very good ones that seem to be one off seedlings.One farmer has crossed and recrossed the best moist and flavoursome ones for a number of generations planting many trial seedlings.I am told by tropical fruit growers that he finally ended up with an exceptional type that is now being used as scion material amongst canistel enthusiasts and I was lucky to score a small grafted one that cost me a handful of rare seeds.I am eager to evaluate the fruit quality for myself.   

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:16:26 AM »
Mike,
I grow canistel  "trompo" aka 9681. I keep tip prunning it and I plan to have it at 12 to 15 feet max.  Growth rate?  Mine seems to grow nice and steady.  Take a look at this link http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/2001%20Vol.%20114/3-4%20(CRANE).pdf
I also have a small Fairchild # 2 recently grafted.  I have had both fruits and both of them are excellent.  In my opinion, Trompo/9681 is a bit larger fruit and Fairchild # 2 is smaller, but the flesh is moister.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:26:38 AM »

I am wondering if this canistel without a name could really be a fairchild as it fits the description.It seems more moist than similar looking types being a bit better in quality than a ross sapote.I looked at the EDIS description of Ross and can say 'it's just not fair'.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 11:06:48 PM »
I have topped my 'Trompo' (9681) several times, to keep it under 25 feet.  It produces several crops a year.

I also have an 'Aurea' that size, which produces only one crop a year.

I consume a lot of DEHYDRATED Canistel--- it's like candy.  I don't like most of them fresh.
Har

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »
I have to report on my experience with the Fairchild No. 2 cultivar: something ate it last month.

Like, the entire, lushly foliaged, 3.5' tree. In 3-5 days. Probably beetles. I don't know, I never saw them. I went out and sprayed a soapicide in the middle of the carnage but it didn't slow whatever it was.

Only a stick with some branches remained. The branches had a greenish tinge to them, so I thought it would come back. But now the branches are withering and I think it is a goner.

My conclusion, based in the fact that none of my other trees have gotten wiped out by pests, is this: the fruit isn't the only tender and tasty part of this cultivar!

I am getting a Trompo now because I have heard it is pretty vigorous.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 10:12:36 PM »
I have topped my 'Trompo' (9681) several times, to keep it under 25 feet.  It produces several crops a year.

I consume a lot of DEHYDRATED Canistel--- it's like candy.  I don't like most of them fresh.

I dried a bunch of canistel one year, just because the tree produced a whole box full that i couldn't possibly eat. They were indeed really great dried! Was a big surprise.
Oscar

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »
I love canistel in fried rice. I add it in while I am frying up the onion, add some chili powder, then the rice, then the chicken broth. You get spicy, bright yellow, slightly sweet fried rice. It is a big hit at my house.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 11:38:20 PM »

Wow dehydrated, har can you give specifics on your process for dehydrating canistel I would like to try that myself?

Thanks

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 12:12:56 AM »
I have to report on my experience with the Fairchild No. 2 cultivar: something ate it last month.

Like, the entire, lushly foliaged, 3.5' tree. In 3-5 days. Probably beetles. I don't know, I never saw them. I went out and sprayed a soapicide in the middle of the carnage but it didn't slow whatever it was.

Only a stick with some branches remained. The branches had a greenish tinge to them, so I thought it would come back. But now the branches are withering and I think it is a goner.

My conclusion, based in the fact that none of my other trees have gotten wiped out by pests, is this: the fruit isn't the only tender and tasty part of this cultivar!

I am getting a Trompo now because I have heard it is pretty vigorous.

Some green catapillars with "fuzzy" skin devoured leaves of two of my smaller trees.  They were camoflaged and hard to see.  They were about 2" long and ate a lot very quickly... until I found them.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »
When fruits are still at their first edible stage of ripeness--- dry-sticky ---place slices in a dehydrator (trays with small heater and fan) for a few hours, or on the window dash of a closed car parked in the sun (will make the car smelly), or in open trays in a refrigerator for 6-8 weeks.
Har

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »
I have a small ross sapote that is due to fruit for the first time.There are many canistel varieties in all shapes and sizes locally and several very good ones that seem to be one off seedlings.One farmer has crossed and recrossed the best moist and flavoursome ones for a number of generations planting many trial seedlings.I am told by tropical fruit growers that he finally ended up with an exceptional type that is now being used as scion material amongst canistel enthusiasts and I was lucky to score a small grafted one that cost me a handful of rare seeds.I am eager to evaluate the fruit quality for myself.

Mike T, have you had the chance to evaluate this improved canistel selection?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »

Wow dehydrated, har can you give specifics on your process for dehydrating canistel I would like to try that myself?
a solar dehydrator is really easy to make.  basically a flat, class topped box with some holes for ventilation.  check your local bakery, they probably have a cake box with a clear top.  poke some vent holes, spread material to be dried, and leave it in the sun.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 01:11:23 PM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

gaberec

• Italy (west coast of Sicily) Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 05:48:38 PM »
Hi,
canistel needs to be grafted in order to have the production as soon as possible?
or from seeds behaves similar to guajava or eugenia which produce in few years ?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »
Hi,
canistel needs to be grafted in order to have the production as soon as possible?
or from seeds behaves similar to guajava or eugenia which produce in few years ?

I believe Adam fruited one in a pot about 5 years from seed to fruit IIRC.   grafted tree should take less.  Plus, you know the fruit quality with a grafted tree.  I would say production would be better from a grafted tree in the mid-term as the seedling works its way toward maturity
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 10:42:01 PM »
My Fairchild #2 is in the ground going on 6 years now, I have not topped it and it's about 14' tall. I got it at ~5' tall, and other than some attacks by a leaf eating beetle and an occasional whitefly it's very healthy.

It's been shy about bearing and only fruits on the lower 1/3 to 1/2 of the tree. This year I have around 26 fruit on it, and one #2 I know of which is very close in age to mine has outperformed in both growth and production.

I love the fruit so even two dozen fruits is enough to keep me happy, but after I harvest the fruit, I'm going to top and tip prune it and see what it does.

Regards,

Gary

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »
Would love to see photos of a trompo tree

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »
Would love to see photos of a trompo tree

Great producer under three years..,.5' tall tree hunched over with dozens of fruitlets that will be ready June. Gonzo, the only problem it fruits like this in selected areas in SoCal we temps never drop below 32. I would go to papaya nursery and ask if they have a fruiting canistel.,,,,Alex can be stingy with his info if you don't buy.