Author Topic: Sweet Pomegrenate  (Read 8611 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Pomegrenate
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 07:16:09 AM »
The backpacker part of town and you can go the see the Kings Palace if you're into that sort of thing.Might be farang prices for some stuff.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 07:24:28 AM »
By the way it is not humid now for Thai understandings. This is winter and on that weather website that you posted i compared Hawaii with Bangkok and here we get double the amount of rain and it is 4-5 degrees warmer on average.

The citycentre is more hot then where i live, we have more wind and no high buildings. The best time to go out is after 5pm then Bangkok changes so much. Streetrestaurants open up everywhere and many people go out at that time. If you want to buy something special let me know and i can tell you where to go.

If you want to see a park with big varana's then go to Lumpini park near Saladeang skytrain or for metro Lumpini-stop.

If you might go to Chatuchak market then also have a walk around the park there that you can see out of the skytrainstation. There are huge catfish and also huge turtles that like to eat old banana's from a skewer.

Hello Bangkok, it may not be humid right now compared to Bangkok summer, but humid to compared to most places on the planet! Even though no rain falls this time of the year, all the flooded rice fields surrounding Bangkok builds up plenty of humidity in the air. Humidity right at this moment in Bangkok is 73% http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=bangkok
You cannot compare Hawaii with Bangkok, because Hawaii is a whole state, and Bangkok is only a city. Even on one island in Hawaii there will be many different climates. The island i live on has a very dry side and a very wet side. I live on the wet side. Our average rainfall is 3200 mm per year. Compare that to
Bangkok's 1492 mm, and you can see you get less than 1/2 the total yearly  rainfall.
http://www.bangkok.climatemps.com/
Thanks for the info. What are big varanas?
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 07:47:26 AM »
Oscar i compared Bangkok with Honolulu at that site and then i saw Bangkok gets more rain. You get 3 metre of rain every year well that is a whole different story haha. If it is humid here then we sweat even without doing anything and only wearing a boxershort nothing else. It is too hot to do anything without airconditioning but i like it though because it is always better then Holland's climate.

Kao San road i know well, it is expanding a lot last years. It is a good place to meet people though i sure not call that area Thailand.
You can walk to the river from there and travel by express boat, they are very cheap and can bring you to nice markets. Also Chinatown is close from there and they sell much strange food there. There also is India town with loads of Indian vendors, an electronics market with mostly chinese or illegal electronics (Bang-Mo is the name). Or just walk around in chinatown and don't follow the crowd but go into the alleys and everywhere is something going on.

If you want to see plantshops then at wednesday it is at Chatuchak only for plants and not crowded. You can also go to the place i mentioned at the golden queen mango thread. If you want i can join you to there but the best way is a taxi with english speaking driver. Don't go there tomorrow because it will be traffic jam all day but maybe that is good actually to see the shops while in traffic jam.

I guess you have a smartphone with you because you can email all the time, i liked to walk from Kao san road to chinatown (by boat) and use my gps Garmin which worked perfect.

I just ate a NDM but it was not as sweet as in the summer. You should try one! Also try the green mango's with or without salt and sugar and spices.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 08:02:27 AM »
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_032025.shtml

Innisfail would have tyhe closest climate in my area to Oscars' place but is more seasonal.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_014015.shtml

Nowhere close to me is like Bangkok but Darwin in thre NT is very similar.

I imagine the even spread of rainfall would reduce flowering cues for many of your trees in Hawaii Oscar.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 11:33:28 AM »
Oscar i compared Bangkok with Honolulu at that site and then i saw Bangkok gets more rain. You get 3 metre of rain every year well that is a whole different story haha. If it is humid here then we sweat even without doing anything and only wearing a boxershort nothing else. It is too hot to do anything without airconditioning but i like it though because it is always better then Holland's climate.

Kao San road i know well, it is expanding a lot last years. It is a good place to meet people though i sure not call that area Thailand.
You can walk to the river from there and travel by express boat, they are very cheap and can bring you to nice markets. Also Chinatown is close from there and they sell much strange food there. There also is India town with loads of Indian vendors, an electronics market with mostly chinese or illegal electronics (Bang-Mo is the name). Or just walk around in chinatown and don't follow the crowd but go into the alleys and everywhere is something going on.

If you want to see plantshops then at wednesday it is at Chatuchak only for plants and not crowded. You can also go to the place i mentioned at the golden queen mango thread. If you want i can join you to there but the best way is a taxi with english speaking driver. Don't go there tomorrow because it will be traffic jam all day but maybe that is good actually to see the shops while in traffic jam.

I guess you have a smartphone with you because you can email all the time, i liked to walk from Kao san road to chinatown (by boat) and use my gps Garmin which worked perfect.

I just ate a NDM but it was not as sweet as in the summer. You should try one! Also try the green mango's with or without salt and sugar and spices.

Thanks for the tips. I've been to Thailand several times before so have done a lot of the things you mentioned. I didn't know about Chinatown and India area and might check that out. Also i've never been to floating market. Is that worth going to? Are there 2 floating markets, one for tourists and one for locals?
Honolulu climate, people, and even atmosphere very VERY different from where i live. Maybe it is like comparing Bangkok with Chiang Rai, 2 very different places.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »
Well the floating markets are fake and for tourists. I have seen it once and that was enough. There is a new mall now in Hua Hin that is built in Venice style with the boats and canals and everything but Hua Hin is 2 hours away to the coast.

I don't want to recommend the floating markets but maybe i am spoiled and you like it a lot. I don't like fake things in general who are set up for tourists only.  Chinatown is real and you really feel like being in China there. That long alley in Chinatown where it is very crowded and goes into India town is not relaxed, the motorbikes drive through the crowds all the time and they sell earrings and things like that (handricraft stuff). India town sells fabrics and so. But that whole neighbourhood is interesting, it is around the "Old Siam" shoppingmall and you can walk there a whole day for sure and you are lucky it is not hot or humid this time of the year. They also sell a lot of fruit there.

For Dinner i can recommend a cruise on those huge lighted boats on the river, some have food from the menu and others have a buffet with live music. The trips takes about 2 hours and i liked it. Then go to the Riverfront Hotel and there you can go on those cruise-boats.

Another huge buffet is in the Bayoke sky hotel (on the 85th floor) or closer to Kaosan road the buffet lunch in the Prince Palace hotel which is near or in Chinatown.

I am going into the city today for a wedding brunch party. 10 courses of chinese food for hundreds of people in a good hotel.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 02:41:06 AM »
Disneyland also is not real, but most tourists, and even Americans, want to visit there! HAHA
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 05:17:07 AM »
Well i also have been in Disney Land, in Hongkong and i even liked it!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk