Author Topic: La Habra yard  (Read 34581 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
La Habra yard
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:17:35 PM »
I have been working in mothers yard for a while. I removed 5 30 year old ornamental trees and planted a few trees. I want to share some pics....the roots of the Jacaranda was over 200 pound! it will have a drip system and redwood mulch when finish.

So far I've planted 17 trees and I still have to plant Pluot,Peach,Aprium,Blueberries,Nispero

Trees planted

Mangos
Carrie
Peggy
Juicy Peach
Multi-graft mango amprapali, manohar, Aloha i have to look forgot
Cuban mango from la zona experimental Santa Clara Cuba.
Annonas:

Red Genova
La Habra Sun( atemoya)
Pink Mammoth
San Mateo (cherimoya)
Campas
El Bumpo ( grafted from the mother tree from Rudy Haluza)
Pierce

Avocado
Sir Prize ( multi-grated grafted with everbearing)
Ismael (California west indian race from Cuba)

Green Sapote
Pace Mamey

Sweetheart Lychee

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
Re: La Habra yard
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 02:30:39 PM »
Wow, amazing collection!

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
What grafts did you choose for the Sir Prize to get an ever bearing variety? I'm in LA (more silverlake area) and trying to pin down more accurate local ripening dates.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »
What grafts did you choose for the Sir Prize to get an ever bearing variety? I'm in LA (more silverlake area) and trying to pin down more accurate local ripening dates.

Hi Josh

I beheaded the sir prize and did a side veener. The Ismael West Indian I did a cleft on Catalina rootstock. Avocados are easy to graft they should take during this time of the year. I don't like multi-grated avocados but I had no choice both of these trees are super vigorous.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »
She has a large backyard. The soil looks good too. JF, how is your 40-in-one cherimoya doing with the unwrapped grafts?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »
Great job JF, what is the tree spacing at?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 05:22:46 PM »
Gonna be a neat garden giving lots of fruits in no time. You did all that yourself? 8-))

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 05:25:58 PM »
So - ya found yourself another property to molest!!!!

;)

And I like the intensive gardening idea - things closer together, if kept under control,
will produce some nice crops, JF! 

But that tree removal - sheesh - did you get any pulled muscles from that monster???
I know I'm gettin' a bit old to do that sort of thing these days.....

Gary

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »
nch,nullzy,NewGen,MangoDog

the lot is 8,200 sq ft relatively small residential. I had my gardeners help me out to reduce the cost. So far it will cost me under $700 ,this includes $250 for parts for a drip system. I grafted most of the trees so there was very little cost. The spacing is 6-8 feet and I will control size of mangos and annona. The only large trees are the mamey,avocados and Lichi. The property has mature Meyers Lemon, Valencia Orange, Fuyu persimmon and oro blanco grapefruit. My 40-1 grafted atemoya is slow only a few of the naked grafts have hit., too early to tell.

MangoDog this is a prelude to an organic tropical farm in Tixkokob Yucatan

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 06:05:01 PM »
 :o

Huh?

...the YucaTAN..... 8) ??????

Gary

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 06:11:23 PM »
:o

Huh?

...the YucaTAN..... 8) ??????

Gary

I'll tell you all about it at the mango tasting

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »
Looks like a great project and not costing too much the way you are doing it. The only thing I would add is grapes.
When I see  walls and fences I see grape vines. It looks like a firm concrete block wall there, that posts can be put into to support grape vines.

Another bonus is being able to be able to start cleanly with the new drip irrigation
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:05:03 PM by zands »

Josh-Los-Angeles

• Zone 10B, Sunset 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »

Hi Josh

I beheaded the sir prize and did a side veener. The Ismael West Indian I did a cleft on Catalina rootstock. Avocados are easy to graft they should take during this time of the year. I don't like multi-grated avocados but I had no choice both of these trees are super vigorous.

Cool, which varieties are on the multi-graft? And Ismael sounds great, can't wait until that becomes available :)

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:24:48 PM »
Frank, awesome looking yard, your Mom will be thankful in a few years.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 10:32:01 PM »
Your MOM has a good Son ;) 8)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 11:09:09 PM »
Nice yard.  :)
Alexi

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 11:30:17 PM »
Incredible work JF,

Did you guys knock all that out in one weekend? That's some serious overtime, but the finished product couldn't look better..looking good!

I'm taking notes on spacing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With this model I can easily fit a few more trees, especially since I tasted the Golden Nugget, Honey Mandarin, and Tango Mandarin this week which opened my eyes to the world of Citrus!!!!! Yep! I need to find 4 more spots for a Golden Nugget, Honey, Tango, and a Kishu Mandarin
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 11:41:55 PM »
JF,

That's actually a pretty nice-sized backyard and large project that you have taken on.  I would love a backyard that size.  8200 sq feet is big in my book, as most tract homes in SoCal are around 5000 sq feet.
Nice to see that you have some exotic/rare mango varieties...great fruit trees too that you have selected.
Good luck!

Warren
Warren

socal10b

• El Monte, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 12:00:13 AM »
surrounded neighbors will be jealous nice collections  :)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 10:04:12 AM »
Thanks for the complements guys. The property has loam Clay/sandy soil, as Nullzy describe my soil, this side of town is where the avocado groves ( La Habra was the avocado capital until the growers moved to Fallbrook)were planted in the old days. I don't really see much differences between my loam soil...l live in Sunny Hills area, were all the Fracking goes on, across the street from Fullerton, my mother is closer to La Habra Heights East Whitter area.

We are thinking of putting some vines. I was thinking of miracle fruit, kiwi vines don't know if that would work. Ismael/Guerra avocados should be release in the next few years at the green scene. I love both generations the first is red/purple and a prolific bearer.

Pics of what my loam soil look like before and after.....4 years and 6" of redwood mulch....black gold high on iron

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:11:33 AM by JF »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
Thanks for the complements guys. The property has loam Clay/sandy soil, as Nullzy describe my soil, this side of town is where the avocado groves ( La Habra was the avocado capital until the growers moved to Fallbrook)were planted in the old days. I don't really see much differences between my loam soil...l live in Sunny Hills area, were all the Fracking goes on, across the street from Fullerton, my mother is closer to La Habra Heights East Whitter area.

We are thinking of putting some vines. I was thinking of miracle fruit, kiwi vines don't know if that would work. Ismael/Guerra avocados should be release in the next few years at the green scene. I love both generations the first is red/purple and a prolific bearer.

Pics of what my loam soil look like before and after.....4 years and 6" of redwood mulch....black gold high on iron

JF

I was tlaking to Roger Meyers, He has some really good Kiwi Varieties that seem to be his main staple....that and JUJU's or something rather. I was interested in grabbing some Kiwis from him, but he said that they will need about 4 times as much water than all of your other plants...He had another varieity...I want to say it was pink Kiwi or some other random color without a  green flesh that is more drought tolerant.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 01:27:39 PM »
6" layer of mulch eh?  Would too much mulch encourage subterranean termites to form colonies under the thick layer of mulch?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 02:39:25 AM »
Wow JF, I got sore just looking at all that work, the yard is going to be incredible though!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 12:59:40 PM »
6" layer of mulch eh?  Would too much mulch encourage subterranean termites to form colonies under the thick layer of mulch?

That's what UC master program calls for for...4-6" of mulch. It's decomposes fast and it has added tons of nutrients to the soil as you can see.....plus lots of worms.

Clay, I think I'm going with passion fruit

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 01:20:33 PM »

That's what UC master program calls for for...4-6" of mulch. It's decomposes fast and it has added tons of nutrients to the soil as you can see.....plus lots of worms.

Clay, I think I'm going with passion fruit

So how is the mulch going to get into the backyard. Are you having a few pallets delivered or a truck delivering it in bulk?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk