Author Topic: La Habra yard  (Read 34421 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: La Habra yard
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »
Looks like a great project and not costing too much the way you are doing it. The only thing I would add is grapes.
When I see  walls and fences I see grape vines. It looks like a firm concrete block wall there, that posts can be put into to support grape vines.

Another bonus is being able to be able to start cleanly with the new drip irrigation

Zands what are your top 5 elite tier grapes...eating grapes***
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 09:46:11 AM »
Looks like a great project and not costing too much the way you are doing it. The only thing I would add is grapes.
When I see  walls and fences I see grape vines. It looks like a firm concrete block wall there, that posts can be put into to support grape vines.

Another bonus is being able to be able to start cleanly with the new drip irrigation

Zands what are your top 5 elite tier grapes...eating grapes***

I am more familiar with muscadine grapes that grow here but
My prejudice is towards dark grapes with seeds. Concord is very good...used to get those from a neighbors back yard. Muscat grapes are good though greenish....a delicacy for some
I don't like seedless green grapes but might be good to grow for children and those who refuse to deal with grape seeds
Summary--- Dark dark dark grapes, purple black what have you/ Maybe a dark red grape for variety and even a seedless one of those. Red grapes look great so they nice to grow just to get people excited
If I planted 5 grape vines in California only one would be seedless grapes and one red for visual appeal. You could grow seedless red

Dark purple-black grapes always seem to be the sweetest in supermarkets
As it is I grow zero seedless grapes since all my grapes are southern muscadine
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:17:06 AM by zands »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »
You want to go for seedless if its for fresh eating. Seeded if its for juice or wine. Try Canadice, Concord seedless, Swenson Red, Sweet Sensation
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »
6" layer of mulch eh?  Would too much mulch encourage subterranean termites to form colonies under the thick layer of mulch?

That's what UC master program calls for for...4-6" of mulch. It's decomposes fast and it has added tons of nutrients to the soil as you can see.....plus lots of worms.

Clay, I think I'm going with passion fruit

So how is the mulch going to get into the backyard. Are you having a few pallets delivered or a truck delivering it in bulk?

Zands

I'm going to get in bulk and I hope they have some worm casting

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 01:05:11 PM »
6" layer of mulch eh?  Would too much mulch encourage subterranean termites to form colonies under the thick layer of mulch?

That's what UC master program calls for for...4-6" of mulch. It's decomposes fast and it has added tons of nutrients to the soil as you can see.....plus lots of worms.

Clay, I think I'm going with passion fruit

JF do you know of or have a good supplier? I love buying the Kellogs brand stuff cause its all organic mulch from CA....but i wouldnt mind looking into bulk purchases to save money.

So how is the mulch going to get into the backyard. Are you having a few pallets delivered or a truck delivering it in bulk?

Zands

Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »
Clay I do. 100%!redwood worm casting $8'per 15 gallon city of La Mirada

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »
Clay I do. 100%!redwood worm casting $8'per 15 gallon city of La Mirada

Yeahhhhhhh  Buddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
Nice job! I wish I had more yards to plant in!!

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
Zands

Good going!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:17:33 PM by zands »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 09:24:24 PM »
I've had several request to update my mothers yard. Here are some random pics a six months review

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 09:36:38 PM »
JF

I noticed one Mango tree looks like it has 2 central leaders...does that effect the tree structure in any way?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2014, 09:42:27 PM »
JF

I noticed one Mango tree looks like it has 2 central leaders...does that effect the tree structure in any way?

Clay

The mango you are referring to has 10 varieties. All were grafted since April. It was a 3 year old Manila seedling which I grafted branch by branch. We don't know how they will hold up I prune some of the more aggresive branches in septmber.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
JF_____

Your mother's yard is off to a good start! Lots of leafy trees on the larger side. I don't see much mulch so you must be watering every day via buried hose/emitters? Or with your garden hose?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 10:51:20 PM »
JF_____

Your mother's yard is off to a good start! Lots of leafy trees on the larger side. I don't see much mulch so you must be watering every day via buried hose/emitters? Or with your garden hose?

thanks Zands

They're growing fast.....sunny southern exposure that's help I suppose. With regards to water, they were water every other day in the summer but now with water rations in place we can only water 2 time a week 10 minutes per station I have 8 stations. They are heavily mulched 2-4" around the dip line to retain moister

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 11:31:04 PM »
JF - your Broadleaf Papaya's are doing MUCH better than mine, although I think mine
have some spider mites or something.  Sheesh.  or.....I wonder if they don't do so well
in the heat.  I should ask Mike T.  Usually papayas LOVE heat.  Your's looks so great!

Gary

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of work and care you put into that yard, Frank. Thanks for sharing. I notice that you use bubblers. Are they the type HD sells? Do you turn them on full, or part way? Did you start with them, or did you hand water first, when the trees were not established yet?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 11:59:14 PM »
JF, your mothers yard is awesome and so is your mother. She is the nicest lady and makes the best snacks. Its amazing what you've done to the yard in such short time. I especially love the multigraft Indian Mango tree.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 12:02:26 AM »
JF_____

thanks Zands

They're growing fast.....sunny southern exposure that's help I suppose. With regards to water, they were water every other day in the summer but now with water rations in place we can only water 2 time a week 10 minutes per station I have 8 stations. They are heavily mulched 2-4" around the dip line to retain moister

Good going. The mulch was not too visible in the photos. Now that I think about it I probably don't water young trees any more than you do. I hit them with the garden hose on full blast for no more than 30 seconds and do this 3-4-5 times a week. Nothing when it is raining.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »
JF_____

thanks Zands

Good going. The mulch was not too visible in the photos. Now that I think about it I probably don't water young trees any more than you do. I hit them with the garden hose on full blast for no more than 30 seconds and do this 3-4-5 times a week. Nothing when it is raining.

You guys are lucky you get consistent rain. I'm optimistic we are going to have a wet winter I was at Manhattan beach yesterday and the water temp was 70F hopefully this translate to El Niņo

Gary
Your papayas looked great in July what happen ?

Thanks Simon

My mom is always frying something. Check out the ham croquettes in one of the pics

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 02:11:40 PM »
Fantastic project!!  Yard, trees and mulch look GREAT:)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »
Great pictures, JF the mango trees are indeed growing fast. Like the broad leaf papaya, fruit must be tasty as well.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 03:57:58 PM »
Great results in just 6 months! Are ALL your fingers green, not just your thumbs??

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »
Well, JF, the ones in the ground got some kind of mites and set back their growth, and another couple
Broadleafs died, so I was semi-shading them, too, being afraid I'd lose them too.  I'm wondering if they aren't as HEAT hardy as the Mexican Papaya and TR Hovey's......

here's a pic of my Broadleaf...I guess it doesn't look so bad....  G

And here's the Mexican Papaya, yes a couple years older, but about 5 feet away from the
Broadleaf babies and has a great fruit set:

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »
Well, JF, the ones in the ground got some kind of mites and set back their growth, and another couple
Broadleafs died, so I was semi-shading them, too, being afraid I'd lose them too.  I'm wondering if they aren't as HEAT hardy as the Mexican Papaya and TR Hovey's......

here's a pic of my Broadleaf...I guess it doesn't look so bad....  G

And here's the Mexican Papaya, yes a couple years older, but about 5 feet away from the
Broadleaf babies and has a great fruit set:

Very nice Gary
Can you ID this papaya from our friend Ed? It's 3' tall and has 12 huge fruits....the tree has been on the ground 5 months

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »
...in the ground 5 months and has 12 huge fruit?  That sounds almost too good to be true....
I've seen them before, that variety and shape I think, but can't remember what it was
called....

but WOW, how impressive!  And unbelievable......

Gary