Author Topic: Coconut water tea, has anyone tried?  (Read 5646 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Coconut water tea, has anyone tried?
« on: June 01, 2014, 04:20:50 PM »
I was thinking of ideas on using coconut water. I thought it may be nice to boil it and infuse fresh herbal teas with the coconut water. Was wondering if anyone tried this, it sounds like it would be really tasty (also no need for sweetener). Perhaps a green tea coconut water, or yerba mate coconut water with yuzu peel. The combinations are endless and the end result would be a very tasty beverage.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Coconut water tea, has anyone tried?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:05:27 AM »
I haven't tried, but I like coconut water and green tea by them selves.  I don't see why that combination wouldn't wrok together either.........makes me thristy thinking about it ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:46:00 PM by thao »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »
I like my tea water fresh from natural springs without other flavors so I can get the full flavor of the tea.
For people that enjoy herbal/flower teas this is probably a good combination.

TraderJohn

• US
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 04:06:32 AM »
just came across this. Did you try to cook the coconut water with tea? How does it taste?
Honestly, I can't imagine it's any good, but I like the idea of using coconut water for not so familiar cases ;)

keira

• traveller, stockholm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 05:13:03 PM »
ok, here comes an idea for you, not sure if it's of your liking... I FERMENT IT (and use it before it becomes alcohol) , and it becomes this amazing fizz with tiny bubbles! I put it in an airtight bottle, let it stand for a day and a half (could be longer if cold, or shorter if very hot). Honestly, it's really refreshing... I miss it just thinking of it...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »
Keira, that sounds like coconut water kefir. Yeah coconut water kefir with herbal tasty flavors would be the best combo.

keira

• traveller, stockholm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 04:12:01 AM »
OK, you call it kefir, do you mean that you add kefir grains in it?
I just happened to have some coconut water in my bottle while travelling, forgot about it, and then made this "discovery" :)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 02:54:35 PM »
OK, you call it kefir, do you mean that you add kefir grains in it?
I just happened to have some coconut water in my bottle while travelling, forgot about it, and then made this "discovery" :)

I was just saying water kefir, as a specific bacteria and yeast creating the end result which you got. I am sure you had a random fermenting bacteria assist in the creation of the fizzy coconut water.

keira

• traveller, stockholm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 07:31:08 AM »
interesting this trend with the name kefir. "normal" kefir comes from dairy... and so, why call water kefir, "kefir"...? 
And it's not that random the bacteria i get, because if it would, sometimes I would have a bad batch doing this "random" thing with the coconut water, but it has NEVER happened, I have done this so many times... The coconut carries it's own bacteria, and so their is always success in a great tasting batch, for me at least...
There are health places in Thailand and elsewhere where you can buy expensive coconut "kefir", but you can do the same yourself for a fraction of the price, and I would say, mine tastes (in my opinion) even better, as I can control the exact level of fizz, and fermentation and good timing for consumption.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »
Late to the party with this one.

But I use coconut water + pineapple juice + water kefir grains (with just a little organic cane sugar + unsulphured molasses to give the kefir grains a jump start) to make a really tasty beverage. It is nice and fizzy by the next day at which point I will strain out the kefir grains and the pineapple 'sludge', then put it in the fridge. It is very refreshing!
- Mark