Author Topic: Willow water in bucket propogator?  (Read 1887 times)

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
Willow water in bucket propogator?
« on: July 24, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »
Would that be overkill? Wondering if anyone's tried that yet to root cuttings. I have a friend with a great tasting barbados cherry whos going to give me several cuttings to propagate.  I know it's not necissary, but... might be fun it see if they root fast. :) Anyone tried this?
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Willow water in bucket propogator?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »
Would that be overkill? Wondering if anyone's tried that yet to root cuttings. I have a friend with a great tasting barbados cherry whos going to give me several cuttings to propagate.  I know it's not necissary, but... might be fun it see if they root fast. :) Anyone tried this?

Yes i also gave it to my seedlings...don't know if it helped but they grow well.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:22:25 AM »
Would putting in a bucket with an aspirin not net a stronger effect having more salicylic acid?
I have also heard of spraying plants with aspirin to bolster a plants immune system and fight disease.
It would be interesting to know how strong the concentration is in a willow tea. I have read the very new shoots of the willow have the most of the active ingredient.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »
As i understand it young willow twigs will leach both  indolebutyric acid (IBA) and salicylic acid (SA). As the bucket propigator will constantly spray the cuttings and medium over several weeks, I'm hoping it will be more effictive then a single soaking.
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 08:48:49 AM »
Interesting I have many.willows around. Please post your results I only knew of the SA not the IBA in willow I have heard IBA is a good root promoter:)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk