Author Topic: Which variety of sapodilla do you recommend?  (Read 55734 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Which variety of sapodilla do you recommend?
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2012, 07:32:22 PM »
Hello Friends,

I have a 'Prolific' that I got from Puerto Rico about 3 years ago, about 1.5' to 2' feet tall.  The first 2 years it did nothing but die 2 or 3 times and defoliate, or at least looked like it was dying.  Then 8 months ago. it exploded and is like 7' feet tall in the pot and doing incredibly well.  I am thinking of Air-layering a couple branches instead of just pruning them off. This Variety flowers like crazy.  I mean 100's of flowers at any one time.  All the time that it didn't look like it was dying, it was basically flowering like crazy......it never grew but flowered like crazy.  Now it is growing like a maniac and very very happy. I think its roots finally sunk in and took off and now it is growing really fast. The name 'Prolific' is a well deserved name in terms of the flowering and hopefully the  fruiting.

- Jacob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:37 PM »
Shortage of Sapodilla? who knew? ???
The Palm Beach Rare fruit society has its huge plant sale in November: Maybe someone will have a bigger Hasya.

Patrick may have a 7g Hasya. Here is a pic of a 7g Hasya he got me last month:

Also in the pic are my new LZ and Coconut Cream trees.

natsgarden123

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2012, 10:38:10 PM »
Thanks-Ill call him. :)

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2012, 07:00:45 AM »
ok this post has made a believer out of me......in your travels does anyone know which florida nursery has great looking 15 gallon MAKOK? a big 7 would work as well

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2012, 07:41:45 AM »
Shortage of Sapodilla? who knew? ???
The Palm Beach Rare fruit society has its huge plant sale in November: Maybe someone will have a bigger Hasya.

Make that March 24...at the Fairgrounds in WPB.  9AM sharp! ;D
John

natsgarden123

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »
My Hasya Sapodilla - 

courtesy of Brooks Nursery
http://www.brookstropicalnursery.com/

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »
Hello Friends,

I have a 'Prolific' that I got from Puerto Rico about 3 years ago, about 1.5' to 2' feet tall.  The first 2 years it did nothing but die 2 or 3 times and defoliate, or at least looked like it was dying.  Then 8 months ago. it exploded and is like 7' feet tall in the pot and doing incredibly well.  I am thinking of Air-layering a couple branches instead of just pruning them off. This Variety flowers like crazy.  I mean 100's of flowers at any one time.  All the time that it didn't look like it was dying, it was basically flowering like crazy......it never grew but flowered like crazy.  Now it is growing like a maniac and very very happy. I think its roots finally sunk in and took off and now it is growing really fast. The name 'Prolific' is a well deserved name in terms of the flowering and hopefully the  fruiting.

- Jacob

Hi Jacob, i've been trying to get this sapodilla cultivar 'Prolific' for a long time. Do you remember where in PR you got it from? Thanks, Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »

Hi Jacob, i've been trying to get this sapodilla cultivar 'Prolific' for a long time. Do you remember where in PR you got it from? Thanks, Oscar

I remember seeing 'prolific' for sale at Enaida's in PR. http://jardineseneida.com/

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 09:25:30 PM »
Very nice looking tree. Zill's must finally have some stock on those babies. From about 2008 to 2011 you had to special order them 50 at a time and wait 1 year for the order to be filled -- and the wholesale price wasn't cheap, so you had to cough up a few grand after waiting a year for your order :-). But back in 2005/2006 you could find a 3 gallon tree that size for $25 (retail). It's funny how the market ebbs and flows. At any rate, it looks like the sapodilla drought is finally winding down. Congrats on your new tree!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:27:46 PM by jeffhagen »
Jeff  :-)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 09:59:01 PM »
It's funny how the market ebbs and flows. At any rate, it looks like the sapodilla drought is finally winding down. Congrats on your new tree!

I think this happens with most fruit trees that are slow growing and have low demand. A nursery is reluctant to plant large number unless they are assured of selling them. Once they sell out and start over again there is a gap when the trees are hard to find. Then everyone that want them starts asking for them and so all the nurseries get the idea to plant it, resulting in an overabundance and cheap prices a few years down the line.
Oscar
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »
Yep, there was a similar situation with Jaboticaba. Until about a year ago, you could find giant, bearing-sized trees on the wholesale market for about $40 a tree. What happens is that someone gets the bright idea to plant out a field of them because the price is so low, and then there is suddenly a shortage :-). Now it costs more for a jabo than a mango tree of similar age, and we're likely to see a jabo shortage for a few years.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
Yep, there was a similar situation with Jaboticaba. Until about a year ago, you could find giant, bearing-sized trees on the wholesale market for about $40 a tree. What happens is that someone gets the bright idea to plant out a field of them because the price is so low, and then there is suddenly a shortage :-). Now it costs more for a jabo than a mango tree of similar age, and we're likely to see a jabo shortage for a few years.

Yes, one good customer can wipe out your stock for a few years.
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2012, 12:23:13 AM »
I am not 100% sure I agree with this statement.  I do agree when comparing "sizes".  A 100 gal jabo could be priced higher than a 100 gal mango in general but a mature fruiting jabo in a 100 gal is more likely older than the mango you might see in a 100 gal.  With the growth rate of the jabo, and assuming both trees were up potted equally (not just put in a larger pot to demand more money), the mango that matches the age of the jabo is most likely going to be a very significant tree and garner a very high dollar as well as the jabo...there may also be some price variation with respect to the variety of mango when you get to that size.  Just my 2 pennies here, guys...
- Rob

adriels

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »
Would like to grow in Anna Maria Island, Manatee County. Have located private homeowner in Sarasota who has trees in yard. Have frown some from seeds. Now have in 3 gal pots. How long for Haysa variety to bear fruit. Not being grafted it could be a long term proposition. I am right?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2012, 05:01:32 PM »
Would like to grow in Anna Maria Island, Manatee County. Have located private homeowner in Sarasota who has trees in yard. Have frown some from seeds. Now have in 3 gal pots. How long for Haysa variety to bear fruit. Not being grafted it could be a long term proposition. I am right?

Yes, growing from seed could take a very long time and the fruit quality could not be good at all. It is probably best to buy a grafted tree. Depending on the size of the grafted Hasya tree you buy will determine how long it will take to bear fruit. A 3 gallon will sometimes have fruit but the tree will probably be too small to actually keep the fruit on it. A 7gallon or larger would probably be your best choice for fruit soon.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »
I've actually seen smaller (3 to 4 year old) sapodilla seedlings with flowers. Neighbor has one that I believe came from my makok. I'll have to check to see if it sets fruit this year.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »
Have seedling sapodilla that has good fruits. Problem with seedlings is they are incredibly slllllooooooowwwww growing. So unless you start from very young age you will be a very old man by the time you see fruits.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2012, 07:03:26 PM »
The 'prolific' sapodilla is as bad a cultivar name as there could be. You could be fooled into thinking that it will fruit prolifically. It throws the most flowers of the three in my yard ('Tropical' and 'Sawo Manila') but doesnt set much, if at all. The others set fruit from their first year and are quite fast growing. Perhaps the best from this side of the world is the Krausey.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »
The 'prolific' sapodilla is as bad a cultivar name as there could be. You could be fooled into thinking that it will fruit prolifically. It throws the most flowers of the three in my yard ('Tropical' and 'Sawo Manila') but doesnt set much, if at all. The others set fruit from their first year and are quite fast growing. Perhaps the best from this side of the world is the Krausey.

Have seen Prolific sapodillas here totally loaded with fruits, more than i've ever seen on any other sapodilla. So you might just have a runt of a plant, or doesn't like something there: soil, climate?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2012, 11:16:47 PM »

Prolific is not bad but krasueys are freaks in terms of productivity and flavour.Throwing bunches of fruit,continual cropping and mltiple flushes at once give krasuey the jump.BKD10,tikal,sawo and a dozen others are not bad.The krasuey is above and my prolific is below.I have seen to many of these varieties for it to be pinned on individual trees.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2012, 11:18:46 PM »

Sorry I don't know what happened in the last post but here is my prolific.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »
I thought the Ox variety was excellent tasting and probably the biggest I have seen.

CapeCoralGuy

• Cape Coral, Lee County Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »
Hi, new guy here....But I do have over 30 years experience with planting, and tasting Sapodillas. My favorite is Alano....but for some reason it does not grow good there in Cape Coral Florida. The best Sapodilla tree for this area I have found is the Sillas Wood variety. It was developed in this area (Pines Island) and even though is not my favorite, taste wise, it does have several things that makes it a winner here. It's a dwarf tree, it produces a ton of fruits, it's small but the taste is really sweet and delicious, and it tolerated winter here without any difficulty.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2014, 12:13:17 AM »
The thing about Sapodillas that may hinder some from falling in love with this fruit is that it takes a really keen eye to determine when to remove the fruit from the tree, as the change in coloration is very subtle to nill in this fruit species.

Generally speaking, if you pick the fruit at the right time off the tree, then you need to wait for it to soften a bit, and then it can be eaten. If the fruit was picked at the precise time, and the Sapodilla variety is one of good quality, then you are in for a real good, knock your socks off, treat.

If the timing is off, whereas the fruit is picked too early or too late, and/or the Sapodilla variety is not of good quality, then all bets are off. When this is the case, I extremely dislike eating the resulting Sapodilla fruit.

P.S.   About Nullzero's Sapodilla + lemon juice: sounds like a great combination and can't wait to try it.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2014, 12:48:28 PM »
The thing about Sapodillas that may hinder some from falling in love with this fruit is that it takes a really keen eye to determine when to remove the fruit from the tree, as the change in coloration is very subtle to nill in this fruit species.

Jeff's wife showed me that a light scratch on the skin will reveal green if not ready, and yellowing if it is or is within a few days. Also my Makok get slightly softer to the touch showing their eagerness to be picked, and consumed. :-)

Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk