Author Topic: Trouble with my Valencia  (Read 2353 times)

lotusblos

• San Joaquin County, California
    • View Profile
Trouble with my Valencia
« on: December 21, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »
Hi, I just noticed my orange tree has come down with a dark coating on leaves and fruit. This has come on very quickly. Can anyone tell me what it is and how to correct the problem?

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with my Valencia
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 04:55:52 PM »
It's powdery mildew. It's growing on the honey dew that certain sucking insects exude.  You have whitefly, aphids scale or the like. The powdery mildew is a symptom of a bigger issue and is not a problem in itself. You can wash it off the fruit when you harvest.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:09:30 PM »
Yorgos explanation is correct, except the black coating on the leaves and fruit is called Sooty Mold.   You can look up Sooty most on the internet. - Millet

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74108.html

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:07:37 AM »
The pest which is causing the ultimate sooty mold problem may not be on your Valencia.   It could also be on a surrounding plant such as a palm tree or other nearby tree or shrub.
- Rob

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »
Sooty mold.  Right. Thanks for the correction, Millet. Will sooty mold delay ripening by blocking light on the fruit and adjacent leaves?
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »
Sooty Mold does not directly affect or damage the tree or fruit.  However, if the mold gets to bad, to the point that a majority of the trees leaves become covered with its black covering, it does cut way back on the trees ability to photosynthesize the suns energy.  As mentioned earlier sooty mold grows on the excretions of insects such a scale, white fly and aphids.  Spraying the tree with a good horticultural oil will kill the insects, and at the same time loosen the mold.  Thereafter, a good spray with the hose will wash most of the mold from the tree. - Millet

lotusblos

• San Joaquin County, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
I've had a problem with scale, and I've used horticultural oil on it, but the scale never went away. I found the best treatment was to simply wash off the little critters with a high pressure spray of water. At this time I can't find much scale on the tree. I'll have to take a closer look I guess.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
I've had a problem with scale, and I've used horticultural oil on it, but the scale never went away. I found the best treatment was to simply wash off the little critters with a high pressure spray of water. At this time I can't find much scale on the tree. I'll have to take a closer look I guess.

do you see any ants on the tree?
- Rob

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 10:08:06 PM »
Horticultural oil kills scale by suffocation.  It does not remove the dead scale from the leaf but all the scale are dead.  - Millet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk