Author Topic: How to protect melons?  (Read 5172 times)

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
How to protect melons?
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:04:53 PM »

Tired of rats and various things gnawing into my maturing melons and ruining them. Anyone have an creative suggestions as to how I can deal with this? I can't really trellis the vines, they need to be protected on the ground.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Re: How to protect melons?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 10:17:14 PM »
Small mesh wire cages are it, really. 

Although, don't see why you can't do trellis.  It is how I solved my exact dilemma.  An outdoor cat helps.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:25:21 PM »

Although, don't see why you can't do trellis.  It is how I solved my exact dilemma.  An outdoor cat helps.

I don't do cats viking. Every human being who is like a cat is either in jail, an asylum for the criminally insane, or is otherwise working on wall street.

Any chance you could post some pics of your trellis? How do you manage to have them bear weight without snapping off the vine while elevated?

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »
A nice big python would help...

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:04:25 PM »
A nice big python would help...

Have a few resident ones around but I guess they're not wanting for food. I tend to remove the really big ones because I have a small dog, the ones around a meter are left to do their thing.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 11:07:17 PM »

I don't do cats viking. Every human being who is like a cat is either in jail, an asylum for the criminally insane, or is otherwise working on wall street.

Any chance you could post some pics of your trellis? How do you manage to have them bear weight without snapping off the vine while elevated?

Have you try skunk oil scent, got rid of my neighbors too!😃. Old Seminole Indian trick keep a skunk in your pumpkin patch, they are fiesty bugger & will kill & eat rodent & raided my hen house went I was on the farm in Appalachia!😷
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 11:15:27 PM »

Have you try skunk oil scent, got rid of my neighbors too!😃. Old Seminole Indian trick keep a skunk in your pumpkin patch, they are fiesty bugger & will kill & eat rodent & raided my hen house went I was on the farm in Appalachia!😷

Skunk Oil? I'll have to keep an eye out for that next time I'm in Coles, probably in the same aisle as sliced Hippopotamus. ;D

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 12:23:50 AM »

Skunk Oil? I'll have to keep an eye out for that next time I'm in Coles, probably in the same aisle as sliced Hippopotamus. ;D
. I had Hippo in Africa, not very tasty as the nile crocodile feasting on them, stay out of that aisle then and head over to the veggie-mate!😝
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 12:38:11 AM »

Have you try skunk oil scent, got rid of my neighbors too!. Old Seminole Indian trick keep a skunk in your pumpkin patch, they are fiesty bugger & will kill & eat rodent & raided my hen house went I was on the farm in Appalachia!

. I had Hippo in Africa, not very tasty as the nile crocodile feasting on them, stay out of that aisle then and head over to the veggie-mate!

I had Vegemite this morning.

You know, it's actually made from the decayed hops which settle on the bottom of beer vats.

It's beer poo.

delicious.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:46:49 AM by starling1 »

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 11:55:15 AM »
Starling there is ashort you tube video where this gentleman show s how to trellis watermelons even when they get big . Look it up very creative.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 12:58:09 PM »

Well, first step is growing smaller, sweeter varieties that won't snap.  lol.

Ok, well, that isn't the best of advice, but helpful.

The vine will, in most cases, thicken enough to hold its fruit without breaking as long as you prune the new growth after fruit set.  I'm using 6' vertical trellis (nothing overhanging like the pros), and it works fine--but I dont let any one vine make more than 3 fruit except my cucumbers.

On my heavier pumpkins and watermelons, I simply place burlap folded under the bottom and wrap 4 ropes and tie to the trellis to support the weight.  The wooden cedar trellises I use are strong.  They are $20 each at Home Depot.  I tapped them straight into the middle of my raised garden beds, and they are only supported by crossing bamboo or small wooden stakes.

I can take a picture of the setup, but it won't do much justice yet since the melons are only just germinating.

Remember, pruning is key.  Remove all growth within 18" of the base and prune new growth after 1-3 fruit are set per vine.  Fewer fruit than growing on the ground or in sky trellis, but the difference is you can grow more plants in a compact manner to make up for it.

I use to grow them off mounds in open fields and it took up a lot of space.  A lot would produce, but vines and fruit would die often to the moth and animals.

Raised on a vertical trellis, success is virtually controlled.  Mine are only spaced 18" apart, and I stagger the melons in a zigzag pattern.  I've discovered higher pollination success when flowers are off the ground.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 01:05:19 PM by Viking Guy »

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 01:14:57 PM »
Viking Guy...Awesome tips you just gave thanks so much i am going to try growing some Orangelo watermelons and sugar baby here in the desert this weekend and your tips really help . Will also try my hand at sweet potatoes Okinawa and beaugard . Wish me luck !
Thanks so much. That's why i love this FORUM !

Mike..in the desert ! ;)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 01:46:17 PM »
I grew lots of melons last year including grafted melons and had a big rodent issue. I just set a lot of good old rat traps baited with peanut butter and caught about 7 rats, I have a small yard, and that was the end of my rat problem. I also had skunks and raccoons digging up my yard but the predator urine granules worked really well for me.

Simon

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 01:58:34 PM »
Viking Guy...Awesome tips you just gave thanks so much i am going to try growing some Orangelo watermelons and sugar baby here in the desert this weekend and your tips really help . Will also try my hand at sweet potatoes Okinawa and beaugard . Wish me luck !
Thanks so much. That's why i love this FORUM !

Mike..in the desert ! ;)

Most welcome.  I will provide pics of a couple of my melon beds.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »
Very simple support.

Melons spaced evenly, and sprouts competing for dominance.

Peas, beans and cucumbers with their setup as well.

Squash growing with the cucumbers.  Zucchini grows with the melons.

Beds are custom made with a natural look using 16"+ planks of cypress.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 07:30:37 PM »
Very simple support.

Melons spaced evenly, and sprouts competing for dominance.

Peas, beans and cucumbers with their setup as well.

Squash growing with the cucumbers.  Zucchini grows with the melons.

Beds are custom made with a natural look using 16"+ planks of cypress.

That's a great setup viking. What kind of yields do you get in a system that size?

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 07:36:48 PM »
This is a good idea. What is that trellising stuff? Fencing? I'd probably buy some if I knew what to search for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l002A9Uoqp8

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 07:49:02 PM »

That's a great setup viking. What kind of yields do you get in a system that size?

Each 5x10 bed of melons makes 10-30 total depending on the varieties.  I grow them on either side, so the weight distributes evenly from the vertical position.

The beauty is that so many other plants can be grown around them (pole beans, eggplant, tomatoes, etc).  The one shown, I even have raspberries growing in it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk