Author Topic: Citrus, Wampee and Orangeberry grafting discussion  (Read 1858 times)

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
Citrus, Wampee and Orangeberry grafting discussion
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:58:54 AM »
Here is a discussion I had with someone who is knowledgeable about citrus and citrus relatives.

It started with matievski stating that Glycosmis pentaphilla (aka Orangeberry, Rum Berry, ginberry, G.citrifolia, G.trifoliata) being an excellent rootstock for all citrus plants if you have soils with PH 8 and higher. Tolerates salinity of the soils.

The first message is at the bottom and the last message is at the top.

Dear matievski,

It looks like wampee and orangeberry are in the clauseneae tribe.  Where cirtus and Severinia are in the citreae tribe.  So wampee should be more graft compatible with orangeberry than the others.  I can send you a wampee scion if my grafting succeeds.

Thanks,

- snowjunky99

To: snowjunky99
Subject: Re: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: snowjunky99 sent a message about Glycosmis pentaphilla, 1 year old seedling, Orangeberry, Rum Berry #151328388323
Sent Date: Apr-30-15 20:00:55 PDT

Dear snowjunky99,

Wampee is an interesting citrus family plant. Let me know if you have one for sale or for exchange, I would love to have one.
I do have Severinia boxifolia if you want to give it a try as a rootstock for Wampee.
Have you tried trifoliate orange?

- matievski

To: matievski
Subject: Re: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: snowjunky99 sent a message about Glycosmis pentaphilla, 1 year old seedling, Orangeberry, Rum Berry #151328388323
Sent Date: Apr-30-15 14:52:37 PDT

Dear matievski,

We have high soil ph here in Phoenix too, but the citrus grow well on sour orange rootstock. Wampee (clausena lansium) on the other hand doesn't grow well here and doesn't graft well on citrus, so I will try to graft wampee on it. I think clausena and glycosmis are closer relatives than they are to citrus. Please let me know if you have a bigger one for grafting. Thanks.

- snowjunky99

To: snowjunky99
Sent Date: Apr-30-15 14:32:30 PDT

Dear snowjunky99,

It is known fact that it is resistant rootstock for citruses. In south hemisphere it is most used rootstock due to tolerance of the soils with PH > 8.
they go vice-verse, I have mine grafted on lemon Myer for 3 years now. Fruiting constantly.
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=glycosmis+pentaphylla+as+rootstock&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=op5CVbm8BOXZsASE64CADw&ved=0CBsQgQMwAA

- matievski

To: matievski
Subject: I have a question about using my item or I want to send the seller a message: snowjunky99 sent a message about Glycosmis pentaphilla, 1 year old seedling, Orangeberry, Rum Berry #151328388323
Sent Date: Apr-30-15 13:18:42 PDT

Dear matievski,

Thanks for the first one arriving in good shape. How do you know citrus will graft onto these? Did you read it somewhere or tried it yourself? Please point me to that information. Thanks. I'm not buying these for grafting, but will try it if true.

- snowjunky99

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus, Wampee and Orangeberry grafting discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:48:30 AM »
Snowjunky, of the possible root stocks you list above as being good choices for soils having a pH 8 and above, Trifoliate Orange is certainly not one of them.  The University of Florida lists Trifoliate Orange as poor minus (P-) for high pH soil, and also P- for salinity. Further all the hybrids of Trifoliate orange (Citranges) also do poorly in high pH soils and salinity.  I do not know much about the other  rootstock possibilities you list but they sound like a possible interesting experiment - Millet

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
Thank you Millet for the info on Trifoliate orange.  I'm not considering grafting wampee on any citrus because sources on the web say they're not very compatible.  I will try to graft wampee on Glycosmis pentaphilla (Orangeberry).

VeiledMaid

• Maricopa Arizona USA Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 06:04:15 PM »
This thread inspired me to track down not only Orangeberry and Fortunella Hindsii trees for my own collection. It also inspired me to order Wampee seed (from another source). I wish we had more citrus for our collections, right here in Maricopa or Phoenix Arizona.
I'd really like to give thanks to these kind people (nods to the above mentioned Millet and Matievski) that are such a great resource for information pertaining to the care and propagation of what cultivars we are fortunate enough to obtain.
Cheers! and Happy Holidays!
- Veiled Maid
@VeiledMaid

Just purchased another 10 acres. I need to plant more fruit trees.
Wanted / Wish List: Durian, Marang, and any fruit that has cool spikes or looks fury

My microclimate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=disiR01AaCo Sandstorm season 3/4 of the year. Wish me luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk