Author Topic: Varieties that taste like Haden  (Read 7419 times)

Zeeth

• View Profile
Varieties that taste like Haden
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:05:35 AM »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for a while. I used to hate mangoes because the only ones I ever ate were Tommy Atkins from the store, but they've found their way into my heart. My area has the climate to grow mangoes, but we're a good drive from the real South Florida where all the mango work is being done, so we're somewhat out of the mango loop. Based on the reviews that I read here, I picked up a coconut cream mango tree at the recent Manatee rare fruit council sale, and I'm thinking about trying to sprout a Lemon Zest from seed if I can find a fruit. My larger question is this: I've heard that those varieties don't have much of a "mango" taste to them, so I'd like to get another variety as well that has the classic Haden taste, but with little-to-no fiber, and would grow well here (our soil is much sandier than the limestone rock in much of South Florida). I'm thinking of a Bailey's marvel, based on what I've read about it (and that it's supposed to be cold hardy, and I got down to 28 F in 2010), so what do you guys think about this choice? I've tasted Madame Francis and Valencia pride, and those both seemed to have the "Haden" taste to me, but I haven't gotten the chance to try a Bailey's marvel yet. Sorry for the long read, and thanks for any responses!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Varieties that taste like Haden
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »
Yes, 'Bailey's Marvel' is a good choice. 

Don't count on its being more cold hardy.  Mango trees' responses to cold vary per growing conditions, especially mineralization (Calcium, Potassium, etc., probably including Silicate).

Genetic / varietal differences affecting response to cold have not been demonstrated.
Har

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:59:01 AM »
I would not wasre any efforts growing a Lemon Zest from seed, especially in your location  when you have reasonably close proximity to purchase an actual tree.

All of South Florida does not have a limerock composition soil.  Much of it does have sand and that is what you want, so you are good there.

As to varieties,  they all taste like mangoes, its that some have distinct flavors combined with the mango flavor.  We can all recommend certain varieties however it doesn't mean you will like them or its what you are looking for,  You mention Baileys Marvel,  to me, I wouldn't plant it.  Why, not my favorite in terms of taste.  Its a vigorous large growing tree.  It seems to basically ripen all at once and here in SFla does not seem to do well in inland locations. I also would not say it has any better cold tolerance.   If mangoes do well in your area, than dont worry about the variety.

If size is not an issue, for thst basic mango flavor I would consider Zill, Valencia Pride,  Dupius, Spirit of 76, Southern Blush, Keitt to name a few.  Not saying these taste just like a Haden but they all have a steaight forward mango flavor of sorts.

Now, to go the other way, what would i recommend,  Mallika,  Frances Hargrave,  Sweet Tart, Coc, Peach Cobbler, Ugly Betty, Lemon Zest,  Honey Kiss to name a few.  There are also other excellent varieties i recommend that are not commercially available but may be available at time with custom requests.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »
Rob summed it up very well.  I like Hatcher in addition to the others he mentioned with a "standard" mango flavor.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:13:12 PM by Sleepdoc »

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 12:27:59 PM »
I avoided planting a tree that has "regular mango" flavor as I am lucky and there is plenty of free fruit in the neighborhood alleys that rots on the floor.  Most of these have that "regular haden" mango flavor.  My mango taste buds have been blown away over the last year.  Favorite right now is the PPK in my backyard, BUT have yet to try honey kiss, lemon zest, and peach cobbler that I am hoping to hunt down a few this summer to try. I gambled on reviews and planted a coco cream and fairchild, both based on Robs recommendation or the forum consesus as good fruits. Wish I could plant them all  :'(

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 03:22:53 PM »
I would not wasre any efforts growing a Lemon Zest from seed, especially in your location  when you have reasonably close proximity to purchase an actual tree.

All of South Florida does not have a limerock composition soil.  Much of it does have sand and that is what you want, so you are good there.

As to varieties,  they all taste like mangoes, its that some have distinct flavors combined with the mango flavor.  We can all recommend certain varieties however it doesn't mean you will like them or its what you are looking for,  You mention Baileys Marvel,  to me, I wouldn't plant it.  Why, not my favorite in terms of taste.  Its a vigorous large growing tree.  It seems to basically ripen all at once and here in SFla does not seem to do well in inland locations. I also would not say it has any better cold tolerance.   If mangoes do well in your area, than dont worry about the variety.

If size is not an issue, for thst basic mango flavor I would consider Zill, Valencia Pride,  Dupius, Spirit of 76, Southern Blush, Keitt to name a few.  Not saying these taste just like a Haden but they all have a steaight forward mango flavor of sorts.

Now, to go the other way, what would i recommend,  Mallika,  Frances Hargrave,  Sweet Tart, Coc, Peach Cobbler, Ugly Betty, Lemon Zest,  Honey Kiss to name a few.  There are also other excellent varieties i recommend that are not commercially available but may be available at time with custom requests.

Thanks for the response, I'll have to look into those varieties that you mentioned!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »

wow...Frances Hargrave made the list?  Was this the first year you got to sample it?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 04:45:40 PM »
Haden is the father of most of these Florida mango I love it!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »
Someone mentioned on the forum that Spirit of 76 is like a Super Haden. I planted a Spirit of 76 based on this but I have yet to taste a fruit from this year because the tree was recently planted.

Simon

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »
Someone mentioned on the forum that Spirit of 76 is like a Super Haden. I planted a Spirit of 76 based on this but I have yet to taste a fruit from this year because the tree was recently planted.

Simon

In taste only, or in other factors, like production, disease tolerance, fiber amount, etc?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 06:17:54 PM »
I have a Madame Francis and a Glenn for pretty much your reason for wanting a mango... a mango that has few overtones (or none) of other fruits.

Both are medium sized (tree and fruit) and at least down here produce well in my sandy soil. The Glenn can have an odd flavor profile though, from two picked on the same tree they can vary in flavor. I found those with the strong mango aroma taste noticeably better and more mango-ey.

It's been opined that it's water availability, causing the "watered down" flavor I don't think so. Not from fruit from the same tree picked on the same day.

Anyway, according to Wiki Haden is the most likely parent of the Glenn. If you were down here, I'd let you decide for yourself :-)

Regards,

Gary

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 09:34:08 PM »
Glenn is in no way Haden like.  Glenn is basically a very milkd mango when com p ared to most and very often has a watered down flavor.   Sorry Gkenn fans, I calls em like I sees em...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 09:39:50 PM »
Jeff - this is the first year my Frances Hargrave has produced and I must say, it is a damn good mango.  It may just have as much or mire coconut flavor than a  Coconut Cream.   As i stated in a previous post, it is a firmer mango which is not bad in any way, just different than many.  Oh, and yes, every one i have eayen has been consistent and worthy of competing for tops in any tadting.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »
Jeff - this is the first year my Frances Hargrave has produced and I must say, it is a damn good mango.  It may just have as much or mire coconut flavor than a  Coconut Cream.   As i stated in a previous post, it is a firmer mango which is not bad in any way, just different than many.  Oh, and yes, every one i have eayen has been consistent and worthy of competing for tops in any tadting.

This is very good to hear.  A mango selected for Curator's Choice that actually is choice. My tree was too small to set any fruit this year.  I reluctantly bought it at one of the Fairchild Mango festivals as another "had to have" tree.  I am going to go to sleep happy tonight.  Francis Hargrave is a top notch mango.........has a nice ring to it.   :)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 10:31:51 PM »
Oh, you want a classic mango mango? Not a coconut mango, pineapple mango, guava mango, orange mango, or lemon mango?  ;)
Mango mango seems to have fallen out of favor, especially on this forum. But i think Rob gave you a very good answer. Valencia Pride is a wonderful choice, but the tree gets very big. Keitt is also one sure to please. It has the added good quality of being a very late mango, so you can extend your mango season if you plant it in addition to some other cultivars. Again the Keitt is quite a large tree. So in part the choice will depend on what size garden you have? If you have a tiny space you might want to go with a dwarf mango, like Julie.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 11:48:54 PM »
To add to my recommendations, Juicy Peach is a good mango that has a sort of "mango" flavor.  To also add to my recommendation list, the Fairchild mango.  This is a smaller growing tree, disease resistant and produces a very good strong flavored mango when left to get fully ripe.
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 08:02:57 AM »
"Oh, you want a classic mango mango? Not a coconut mango, pineapple mango, guava mango, orange mango, or lemon mango?  ;)
Mango mango seems to have fallen out of favor, especially on this forum"

:-)  Go figure
Regards,

Gary

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »
Van Dyke tastes like Haden.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 08:40:50 AM »
Van Dyke tastes like Haden.

I agree and the tree produces with much more disease resistance than its probable parent, Haden.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 06:23:56 PM »

Simon

In taste only, or in other factors, like production, disease tolerance, fiber amount, etc?

Hello Zeeth, I believe Spirit of 76 is super Haden like in flavor but it is fiberless. I am under the impression that Spirit of 76 is average in production, I'm not sure about disease resistance. I remember someone said that Spirit of 76 has a super intense mango flavor like a Haden on steroids.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 07:58:02 PM »

Simon

Hello Zeeth, I believe Spirit of 76 is super Haden like in flavor but it is fiberless. I am under the impression that Spirit of 76 is average in production, I'm not sure about disease resistance. I remember someone said that Spirit of 76 has a super intense mango flavor like a Haden on steroids.

Simon
Yes Simon I believe it's an improve Haden it's like eating mango pudding. My tree is under 5 years old so I can really tell you wether it's productive or not here in Socal.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
Add 'Southern Blush' and 'Zill' to this list.
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »
Add 'Southern Blush' and 'Zill' to this list.

I believe I already did.   ;) 8)
- Rob

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »
You sure did!
Har

Zeeth

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »
Thanks for the responses everyone! It looks like I might need to try a spirit of '76 based on the comments in here. That sounds a lot like what I'm looking for in a mango that tastes like mango.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk