Author Topic: If you had to start again, what varieties of mango would you plant?  (Read 23528 times)

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
Re: If you had to start again, what varieties of mango would you plant?
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
Hi JF why are you removing Coco Cream, I was thinking of getting one to plant where I'm going to build my new house, is there a problem with Coco Crm. I need to know, by the way what did you think about that Annona R.
Carlos O.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:52:14 AM by carcarlo »

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »
Providence is a late season mango? And is it a small tree, one that can maintained at 10 feet or less?  Im moving soon so im going to plant Pickering, Fairchild and maybe another one

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »
Providence is a late season mango? And is it a small tree, one that can maintained at 10 feet or less?  Im moving soon so im going to plant Pickering, Fairchild and maybe another one

It is not the latest, it is basically August and maybe into September.  I suppose it can be kept to 10 feet but I do want to emphasize, keeping trees at short hights is not just cutting the top to keep it that height,  It is a pruning process.  If the fruit is left on the tree to long it tends to have internal seed sprouting.  Otherwise, very good mango.  Purchasing a Providence tree might be an issue unless you are coming to South Florida, and even then, the sources are extremely limited.  If you want a later season and trees that could be kept smallish, go with Honey Kiss (unfortunately, again, verly limited places to purchase), Beverly or Venus (again, and you dont want to hear it, limited places to purchase for now).
- Rob

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2015, 01:03:30 PM »
Thanks Rob, is there any mango that the taste of Honey Kiss can be compared to?  is it a top tier mango?  disease resistance?

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2015, 03:05:49 PM »
If you are referring to bsbully , I suggest you meet him one day, because he is a very nice guy ( no, Rob didn't pay me to say this) who just has strong opinions, agree with him or not.

Well, having met Rob through this forum I must say that truer words were never spoken.  He is a very nice guy in person and easy going well beyond what you may expect him to be based upon his forum posts.  His passion and knowledge about fruits, horticulture in general and mangoes especially is top notch.  He expresses his passion in a slightly.....let's just say edgy, sharp manner on occasion.....but that's his style.  Well, maybe not slightly or occasionally.....but that's him and love him or hate him on the forum you should get to meet him in person.  I swear he doesn't bite.....well, not that I have observed or heard of yet.
I will second what Harry said! One of the nicest guys in the world, answers all my stupid questions and has givin me invaluable knowledge! And I personally love his smart ass  comments and sarcasm!
Joe

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
I have to say with limited experience growing mangoes my baileys marvel is a fantastic grower.
- Marley

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2015, 07:09:34 PM »
If you are referring to bsbully , I suggest you meet him one day, because he is a very nice guy ( no, Rob didn't pay me to say this) who just has strong opinions, agree with him or not.

Well, having met Rob through this forum I must say that truer words were never spoken.  He is a very nice guy in person and easy going well beyond what you may expect him to be based upon his forum posts.  His passion and knowledge about fruits, horticulture in general and mangoes especially is top notch.  He expresses his passion in a slightly.....let's just say edgy, sharp manner on occasion.....but that's his style.  Well, maybe not slightly or occasionally.....but that's him and love him or hate him on the forum you should get to meet him in person.  I swear he doesn't bite.....well, not that I have observed or heard of yet.
I will second what Harry said! One of the nicest guys in the world, answers all my stupid questions and has givin me invaluable knowledge! And I personally love his smart ass  comments and sarcasm!
+1
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2015, 08:25:03 PM »

If I were to start all over again. I would not plant Valencia Pride.

Richard, could you be more detail why VP?

Thanks,
Sapote

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2015, 08:40:06 PM »
Never mind, Richard. I read your reason for not VP.

Sapote

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »
Hi JF why are you removing Coco Cream, I was thinking of getting one to plant where I'm going to build my new house, is there a problem with Coco Crm. I need to know, by the way what did you think about that Annona R.
Carlos O.

Hey Carlos
Growth habit is spindly and brittle unmanageable stay away from coco cream. I loved your chirimoya

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16011.msg203576#msg203576

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »
My comment hardly constitutes shaming anyone for their opinion. I should point out that the poster admits himself that the Madame Francis could be replaced by a newer cultivar. So by this admission.....there seems to be a loyalty factor at play.

Your comment wasn't taken as trying to shame me at all.

Again, there's no "loyalty" at all here, it's a tree. The previous owner planted it a few years before I moved in, and it's about 11 years old, has never been top pruned and is still only around 11 feet tall. It produces very regularly, it's a rather attractive tree, and gives me nice fruit too.

PS, I read in GW that you had a Madame Francis, did you get fruit from it? Do you still have it?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:14:53 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2015, 10:47:03 PM »
The varieties I would plant would have both qualities to extend the season and be the best tasting in my opinion of course.
If only four trees, I would plant:

1. Rosigold - good flavor, consistent, dwarf and earliest.
2. Carrie - One of the best mangoes (if you like the flavor) , compact tree, good disease resistance.
3. Lemon Zest - Another of the best mangoes ever. Maybe the GOAT.
4. A late season would be difficult as there are not many choices. Keitt is good and very late and excellent producer. Although I would prefer a mango with a little more flavor. Neelam, not so sure about. I have never tasted one but read that many do not like it. I am intrigued by the new Cotton candy mango. Does anyone know if it is really a late season mango? What about flavor, tree growth and productivity? This is one I would consider, being from the mango powerhouse of Zill ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

Also, as to madame francis. I have a tree and its a very good flavored mango. But I am now a mango snob I think and I just can't get over the fiber. There are so many other excellent varities out there. Thinking about top working that one and also my Haden.

E.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2015, 09:10:11 AM »
My first tree was a Fairchild.  I read it was small and placed in taste testings so when I lucked up on one doing it the home depot route, I planted it.  It is about three times better than they said.  So armed with reliable info I planted a Tebow that turned out to be a Young and most of the trees were false advertised as being smaller tree than they are.

NDM4, Carrie,  and Mallika were my choices from reliable info.     Then I spent this year tasting fruit.  Fruit and Spice park where all the mango I bought, sucked.   But our Fruit club stopped at Fairchild in the Redland and great fruit were found there. 

We went to visit Alex and Maha, LZ, Duncans and Edwards were tasted for the first time.

To Fairchilds for Mango Fest.  And then to Walter Zills and then to Merritt Island.

I gave away my NDM.  I gave away my Carrie.  I tried to give away the Mallika also but now that I have to keep it, it gets topped to add something better.  All three had the stuffings knocked out of it with better flavored types

So at the end of this year I ended up with .

The Fairchild and Young which I got my first 11 fruit from this year.  Keeping it because it is now fruiting so don't want to go back to only one tree fruiting.

Mahachinok 

LZ

Fruit Punch  Bought from Zills

O-2

and Providence.

Going to get a Pickering for container gardening still. 

I hope to top the Mallika and graft G-32 on it one day.   

All are in the ground except the O2.   Just found it a couple weeks back and going to carry it over the winter in bucket so I can bring it in if needed.

So I guess I did replace with Zills. 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:13:04 AM by WGphil »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2015, 10:24:49 AM »
My first tree was a Fairchild.  I read it was small and placed in taste testings so when I lucked up on one doing it the home depot route, I planted it.  It is about three times better than they said.  So armed with reliable info I planted a Tebow that turned out to be a Young and most of the trees were false advertised as being smaller tree than they are.

NDM4, Carrie,  and Mallika were my choices from reliable info.     Then I spent this year tasting fruit.  Fruit and Spice park where all the mango I bought, sucked.   But our Fruit club stopped at Fairchild in the Redland and great fruit were found there. 

We went to visit Alex and Maha, LZ, Duncans and Edwards were tasted for the first time.

To Fairchilds for Mango Fest.  And then to Walter Zills and then to Merritt Island.

I gave away my NDM.  I gave away my Carrie.  I tried to give away the Mallika also but now that I have to keep it, it gets topped to add something better.  All three had the stuffings knocked out of it with better flavored types

The Fairchild and Young which I got my first 11 fruit from this year.  Keeping it because it is now fruiting so don't want to go back to only one tree fruiting.

Mahachinok 

LZ

O-2

and Providence.

All are in the ground except the O2.   Just found it a couple weeks back and going to carry it over the winter in bucket so I can bring it in if needed.

Not saying it wont happen "one day" but don't hold your breath.  I guarantee if OS were actually released, it would not be so enamoured.  It is one of those things people want cause they cant have.  There are far better tasting varieties in the preverbial pipelines, ones that may actually be released as early as 2016.

I also think you might want to re-taste Mallika before you make any decisions.  While there are a few I know who dont care for it, it is usually highly praised by most.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2015, 10:46:22 AM »

Mahachinok 

LZ

O-2

and Providence.

Not saying it wont happen "one day" but don't hold your breath.  I guarantee if OS were actually released, it would not be so enamoured.  It is one of those things people want cause they cant have.  There are far better tasting varieties in the preverbial pipelines, ones that may actually be released as early as 2016.

I also think you might want to re-taste Mallika before you make any decisions.  While there are a few I know who dont care for it, it is usually highly praised by most.

While I am excited about those mangoes in the pipeline, to me, OS has always been right up there with the best in terms of flavor. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »

Mahachinok 

LZ

O-2

and Providence.

While I am excited about those mangoes in the pipeline, to me, OS has always been right up there with the best in terms of flavor.

I am not saying its bad, it can be great but it also has its issues.  It can tend to have a softer, unforgiving texture, that LZ does not have.
- Rob

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »
I love the Honey Kiss and Duprius also but have't tried the Venus yet.  One of those or the Pickering may get grafted instead.  It is the  Mallika texture for me.  If any of my choices are Carrie soft, warn me now.

My girlfriend was my sidekick on all these trips and she wants a PPK and Coconut Cream.    The PPK we tasted was from a drop at the Fruit and Spice park and may have been our best mango while there. 

Nice to know other types are coming.  We have a list we missed, like Taralay, so we will be back to buy and try more this coming season.  Great to have others to look forward to trying. 

Choices from Walters... the CC's and OS are not from there. 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:28:57 AM by WGphil »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2015, 12:38:14 PM »
To comment on OS. The first one I had was amazing. I left the second one for 2 more days on the counter. The texture turn to mush but even worse 90% of the flavor was gone. Still looked pretty fine on the outside. Is this normal for OS.

Any info on what's going to be released 2016?  Hopefully we can get a flavorful early season mango.

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
unfortunately I am out of room for more trees but I would love to graft a variety here and there, maybe everywhere. ;D
I'm looking forward to trying some of the varieties I've heard about here next season.

varieties I have not tried yet such as:

providence
guava
zinc
LZ

and I would like to continue to evaluate fruit from others like*:     

M4
P or k 22?!
pineapple passion or pleasure?!
fruit punch
Honey kiss
Sweet tart
venus

*On this list besides the first two mentioned, I realized after talking to Rob that it may have not been properly picked and ripened fruit so I hope to get more of them in my belly earlier in the season next summer.

I'm also really hoping to get my hands on "cotton candy"; I'd like to try that one most of all and see how it compares to M4. Or are they the same?! cue the suspenseful/  dramatic music! dun dun  duhn!  8)
Mic

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
unfortunately I am out of room for more trees but I would love to graft a variety here and there, maybe everywhere. ;D
I'm looking forward to trying some of the varieties I've heard about here next season.

providence
guava
zinc
LZ

M4
P or k 22?!
fruit punch
Honey kiss
Sweet tart
venus

*On this list besides the first two mentioned, I realized after talking to Rob that it may have not been properly picked and ripened fruit so I hope to get more of them in my belly earlier in the season next summer.

I'm also really hoping to get my hands on "cotton candy"; I'd like to try that one most of all and see how it compares to M4. Or are they the same?! cue the suspenseful/  dramatic music! dun dun  duhn!  8)

Two totally different fruits.
- Rob

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2015, 12:54:21 AM »

providence
guava
zinc
LZ

M4
P or k 22?!
fruit punch
Honey kiss
Sweet tart
venus

What is a Pork 22 ?!?  Sounds like a really bad new Zill mango name! Haha! ;D ;D ;D  I also hope we will see Cotton Candy someday. Or at least some better early and late season varieties. If only wishes came true...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2015, 07:18:27 AM »

providence
guava
zinc
LZ

M4
P or k 22?!
fruit punch
Honey kiss
Sweet tart
venus

What is a Pork 22 ?!?  Sounds like a really bad new Zill mango name! Haha! ;D ;D ;D  I also hope we will see Cotton Candy someday. Or at least some better early and late season varieties. If only wishes came true...

That would be P-22, I made the correction above.  This will most likely never be released. The Guava mango is one of, if not the, best early season mango.   It is not Rosigold early but it is early based on normal season timing.
- Rob

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2015, 08:52:16 AM »
How is the production and growth habit on the guava mango? is it as early as Glenn?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:55:45 AM by horseshoe_bayou »
Mic

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
" The Guava mango is one of, if not the, best early season mango.   It is not Rosigold early but it is early based on normal season timing."

This is one of the reasons I love this forum. I have really enjoyed the Guava mangos I've eaten, but didn't know they were at the early end of the fruiting season.

In speculation mode, it seems that it is easier to find and develop richly flavored late mangos than early ones.

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2015, 10:41:21 AM »
I left out the Edgar which is very high on my list. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk