Author Topic: Vietnames sugar apple  (Read 12905 times)

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Vietnames sugar apple
« on: June 06, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »
Quick update on Vietnames sugar apple..

RichardN

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Vietnames sugar apple
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 03:36:27 PM »
looking good, that is my favorite sugarapple

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
Beautiful looking fruit. Does anybody know if this is the same thing as a Na Dai sugar Apple.

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
No it is not Na Dai. I had 8 Na Dai trees and gave it to my mother-in-law. This variety is far superior than Na Dai. I got this variety in Vietnam in 1990 from a farmer who produce and sell it to fruit stands. There is no name on this variety but he called it Mang cau Dai translated to English chewy suger apple and Dai translated to English chewy. The fruit has a firm texture flesh. Very high sugar content and extremely juicy. To describe the flavor (honey with raw sugar, floral, and logan aftertaste.
RichardN

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 05:54:42 PM »
Sounds like you have something special. How would you describe the tree? (growth, productivity, etc...) I think I will need to ask you for seeds:)

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 06:11:36 PM »
 No more the 6-7'.. After 4-5' tree will start to produce lateral branching. Very heavy producer. Will produce fruit within two years from seed.
RichardN

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 06:44:37 PM »
I agree, does sounds like a good tree indeed. I was confused because TopTropicals also has a variety of sugar apple called Vietnames Na Di. Also seeing a couple sugar apples in the local area with a tag that says Vietnames. I would imagine they all came for Toptropical. Sound like what have is even better though.

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »
I think there are many variety of Vietnamese sugar apples. Just like Florida mangos here in the United States. People from the other side of the world probably think Florida mango are Tommy Atkins, Keitt, and Kent. But what they don't realize there are many more new varieties of mangos produce each year in Florida. By this, I think the same goes to the Vietnamese sugar apple and other fruit trees out there.
RichardN

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 07:57:26 PM »
RichardN

Did you hand pollinate those fruit?

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »
No
RichardN

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
Very nice pictures Richard.  :)

Please report back when one ripens up.
I'd love to see what it looks like when ripe.

fruitnut

• willow Grove, Pa/7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 10:56:31 PM »
just curious,  how is this variety superior compared to na dai?  Could mang cau dai and na dai the same thing but called differently from different part of the country?  Perhaps both are just different variety of mang cau dai!

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 05:40:39 AM »
Very nice pictures Richard.  :)

Please report back when one ripens up.
I'd love to see what it looks like when ripe.
Will do
RichardN

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 03:58:47 PM »
I agree, does sounds like a good tree indeed. I was confused because TopTropicals also has a variety of sugar apple called Vietnames Na Di. Also seeing a couple sugar apples in the local area with a tag that says Vietnames. I would imagine they all came for Toptropical. Sound like what have is even better though.

It's actually the other way around.  Top tropicals gets them from the nurseries down here and resells them on the web.  Probably came from PIN, Lara,  or Zills
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 07:32:40 PM »
Na Dai Sugar apples ripening up quickly...I had some bull ants that were making a nest right above one of the fruits, they kept accumulating bits of soil from the pot, and piling it up on the stem of the fruit.  I guess they knew which fruit would be ripe first, or they have a way of hastening the process....but the fruit they had a nest on, was the first to ripen up.

I hosed off the ants, and stole the foundation for their house, and the meal they were waiting for!  the sugar apple was ready to eat right off the tree...and it had minimal seeds...I definitely prefer these to ordinary sugar apples you find at the Asian markets here in the Orlando FL area.

here is the fruit the ants were living on

same fruit cut open

another larger fruit that was ready to be picked, but not ripe yet.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 07:52:14 PM »
Na Dai Sugar apples ripening up quickly...I had some bull ants that were making a nest right above one of the fruits, they kept accumulating bits of soil from the pot, and piling it up on the stem of the fruit.  I guess they knew which fruit would be ripe first, or they have a way of hastening the process....but the fruit they had a nest on, was the first to ripen up.

I hosed off the ants, and stole the foundation for their house, and the meal they were waiting for!  the sugar apple was ready to eat right off the tree...and it had minimal seeds...I definitely prefer these to ordinary sugar apples you find at the Asian markets here in the Orlando FL area.

here is the fruit the ants were living on

same fruit cut open

another larger fruit that was ready to be picked, but not ripe yet.

nice looking fruit Adam! Were they what is call chewy or easy peel?
El verde es vida!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »
thanks Raul,

yes this is the same as what they call Easy peel , or chewy.

the Vietnamese name is "Na Dai", so I use that name.

it's one of my favorite sugar apples, because it reminds me more of an atemoya in terms of texture being like geffner, or PPC.

it has some tartness and lots of sugar....low seed count.

fruits very early from seed, about 2-3 yrs, and can stay in a pot for a long time...doesn't require hand pollination.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

NewMoon

• San Diego California
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »
I read the threads with great interest. To see if my understanding is correct. The sugar apple variety that RichardN had is not the Na Di which being sold at Top Tropical. Man, I would love to have that sugar apple or some seeds of it. RichardN, please tell me what to do to get some seeds from you. Thanks

NewMoon

• San Diego California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »
"just curious,  how is this variety superior compared to na dai?  Could mang cau dai and na dai the same thing but called differently from different part of the country?  Perhaps both are just different variety of mang cau dai!"

In Vietnamese language: The term "mang cau" and "na" are the same. Northern folks use "na", Southern people use "mang cau"

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 07:25:34 PM »
I read the threads with great interest. To see if my understanding is correct. The sugar apple variety that RichardN had is not the Na Di which being sold at Top Tropical. Man, I would love to have that sugar apple or some seeds of it. RichardN, please tell me what to do to get some seeds from you. Thanks

Send him a private message. I know he is busy doing other things....last time he was active on forum was 10 days ago

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 02:15:22 PM »
RichardN, anyway I can get a few seeds from you?

raiders36

• San Jose, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 05:03:37 PM »
Hi Richard,

Can I buy seeds from you?

Pat

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 10:58:18 PM »
There are variations among "Na Dai" variety. Two major categories: easy peel and not easy peel (skin rougher and less green).
My parents have an "easy peel" Na tree; it's skin even smoother than the rest of Na Dai trees I had seen.  It had less seeds, more aroma and the flesh not divided. Delicious, certainly worth propagating (I'll try to graft it on a Cherimoya seedling next spring).  The shape looks somewhat like this pic.

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 12:05:53 AM »
Hi y'all,
 Sorry been busy. If y'all want seeds PM me on messenger. It's the best way to get a hold of me.
The Vietnamese sugar apple I have is completely different than the Na Dai here. 90% of the growers are growing atemoya, cherimoya and annona. By this the seeds are cross and passing hands too hand.
My family got the seeds 30 years ago from Vietnam. We only grow this particular variety.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:46:22 AM by RichardN »
RichardN

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 11:18:14 PM »
RichardN. I send you a PM. Let me know.

I'm interested.