Author Topic: My new Pickering mangos - gone!  (Read 4703 times)

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
My new Pickering mangos - gone!
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:46:11 AM »
Little Rat Bestids ate my first and only 2 Pickering mangos.   The critter tore right thru the screen bag.  One was eaten completely with only the pit remaining.  Second was half eaten. 

Their days are numbered!

One way, or another, I’m gonna getcha!
Gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha ……………..

Dan

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: My new Pickering mangos - gone!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »
Holy Smokes!!! I'm SO sorry  >:(...So far the varmints in my yard have NOT touched any of the mangos that are wrapped, I know my days are numbered.

I've been checking my fruits on a daily basis and have been picking it as soon as I start to see some color in hopes of preventing them from eating it as soon as the ripe scent gets noticed. Wish me luck!!

Time to break out some stronger Fencing wire that they sell at the Feed Stores...for next season.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »
bananamal--  Is that window screening aluminum or nylon? Death to varmints!!!!

How about one eighth inch hardware cloth? http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=1%2F8+inch+hardware+cloth&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=9623003004&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17066080731243078927&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_1jnn3uwzc4_b  You can find it in HD or Lowe's or Tractor Supply I would think

Or 1/4 inch?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:28:22 PM »
Their days are numbered!

Gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha …

Why does this reminds me of Bugs Bunny when he said.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
sorry Dan,

But I feel sorry for whats about to happen to your squirrels

Maybe a peanutbutter and plaster sandwich will satiate their ravenous appetite for unripe mango
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
Their days are numbered!

Gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha …

Why does this reminds me of Bugs Bunny when he said.

;D I LOVE Bugs Bunny!!

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:42:37 AM »
sorry Dan,

But I feel sorry for whats about to happen to your squirrels

Maybe a peanutbutter and plaster sandwich will satiate their ravenous appetite for unripe mango

Here is a rat bait recipe. I'll bet squirrels would go for it too
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/livestock-forums/poultry/341651-rat-bait-recipe.html

Willowynd, I make small batches at a time.

Stuff you'll need:
1 Cool Whip or similar plastic container
1/2 to 3/4 cup of plaster of paris
1/2 to 3/4 cup of peanut butter
chicken feed, bird seed or ground corn (optional, but effective)
rubber or latex gloves

Pour the plaster of paris in the container. With gloves on, work enough peanut butter into the plaster of paris until you get the consistency of cookie dough. If it's too dry it will harden fast, so you want it pliable and slightly sticky. Form small balls (about 1 inch) and roll in the feed/seed mix. My experience is that the cracked corn was much preferred by the rats. Your mileage may vary.

I placed about 8-10 balls on a bucket lid or feed sack and placed it in areas of the coop/barn where the birds would not access it. You could put them into a critter cage if it makes you feel more comfortable. You will be amazed how fast the rat balls disappear. I made fresh ones every few days and added more as they ate them up. We've had VERY cold temps here (near zero) and freezing was not an issue. I think most of the rats die in their little rat holes. I only found one or two dead, fat rats. And no, they did not have peanut butter breath!

Time for Rats to Party

Good luck! This was VERY effective for me...

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 06:46:51 AM »
Holy Smokes!!! I'm SO sorry  >:(...So far the varmints in my yard have NOT touched any of the mangos that are wrapped, I know my days are numbered.

I've been checking my fruits on a daily basis and have been picking it as soon as I start to see some color in hopes of preventing them from eating it as soon as the ripe scent gets noticed. Wish me luck!!

Time to break out some stronger Fencing wire that they sell at the Feed Stores...for next season.

At least your thieves NEED the fruit, I had two of my trees nearly cleaned of mangos. My little Julie was having its first fruiting season, and a two legged rat helped himself to almost all of the 12 mangos on the tree. I'd like to put a bear trap in my yard and whack off the leg of the creep, but only in my dreams :-)

I too will fence my trees next season
Regards,

Gary

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 08:54:34 AM »
Screening was nylon.  Hardware cloth sounds fail safe but what about lots of fruit?  Fencing good for 2 legged rats but not critters.  So it sounds like cement and peanut butter hors d’œuvre is the best solution. Will regret losing the satisfaction of seeing each and every one of the little rat bastards all nicely croaked.

May start with  the Havahart trap with these baits too see what kinds of critts they are.   I also have lurking bobcats --- but I'm not gonna buy that big a trap. ;D

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.  Last resort will be Duke traps.

Dan
Dan

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »
Wow :o that sucks Dan :(

Good luck getting ride of these bastards ;) Next year you will get a bountiful harvest...hopefully ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »
Ooh how frustrating! Sorry to hear about this!

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:30:18 AM »
Screening was nylon.  Hardware cloth sounds fail safe but what about lots of fruit?

Dan

How about aluminum window screening. Easier to use than hardware cloth. Easier to bend and shape. Puglvr might be using aluminum...or nylon I don't know??

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »
Screening was nylon.  Hardware cloth sounds fail safe but what about lots of fruit?

Dan

How about aluminum window screening. Easier to use than hardware cloth. Easier to bend and shape. Puglvr might be using aluminum...or nylon I don't know??
Hey zands ----------- Got some leftover 1/4" hware cloth and good wire cutters.   Will make a few cages for the 4 Glenn fruit that are still hanging.  Was able to do what Nancy said and grab one that blushed before falling.   When all harvest is done the traps will be running steady.   And there is always wonderful Tommy Atkins chunks for bait.  Yum yum (says tree rat), yuck yuck (says me).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:17:38 PM by Bananimal »
Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk