Author Topic: Passiflora quadrangularis aborting flowers  (Read 2026 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Passiflora quadrangularis aborting flowers
« on: January 16, 2016, 06:30:17 PM »
Hi all. I have an enormous parcha real, as it's called here, Passiflora quadrangularis  that finally had flower buds on it a couple of weeks ago. Then plant looks amazing and I was so excited to see the flowers. Two weeks later, one flower looks like it tried to open and didn't make it all the way, and the other buds appear to have just dried up. What gives? The only thing I can think of is that the plant hasn't been getting watered at all - because it hasn't shown the slightest drought stress so I didn't think it necessary. But is it possible that it doesn't need water for leaves but does need it to flower? Like I said, it looks perfect in every respect except for the aborted blooms. Any ideas/suggestions?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Passiflora quadrangularis aborting flowers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:15:25 PM »
Do you have only one plant?  Passiflora need companion plants to set fruit.
Peter

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 08:19:39 PM »
I do have only one plant, and that was going to be a follow up question. But these flowers never even opened to not be pollinated, so I don't think that's the problem. Had they opened and then dropped and there was no fruit set, obviously lack of a companion would be the issue.
But speaking of that, can different Passiflora species pollinate each other or does it have to be another quadrangularis?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »
The cross pollination should be with the same species.  You will need another seedling or asexually propagated plant from another seedling.  I haven't grown quadrangular is for years and don't remember the flowers, how they open.  Maybe someone else can address that.
suerte,
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 04:03:37 AM »
Many vines here produce fruit on their own but they need pollinators or hand pollination.Out crossing to another vine increases yields but still it is not a huge proportion that set.Because they cross with and are closely related to P. alata this may well be a pollinators for quadrangularis.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 05:38:44 AM »
If plant is young then new flowers may just be aborted till it gets a bit older. Wouldn't hurt to give it some extra water as water stress can also cause flowers to drop.
Oscar

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:06:40 AM »
Great I'm just going to chalk it up to young plant blues and give it some water. It's so strange to me that many "authorities" don't really mention the need for companion plants. None of the sellers of this seed mention it that I've seen, and even Hort Purdue leaves it out in their write-up. This is why I thought I could get away with just one. Here we are absolutely teeming with many different pollinators - even vanilla sets fruit on its own - so maybe I'll get lucky and get a fruit or two when it starts holding its flowers. In the meantime I be on the lookout for a suitable companion plant - anyone have any seeds they want to share? ;) Thanks guys!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk