Author Topic: grafting knife question  (Read 4003 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
grafting knife question
« on: January 26, 2016, 11:01:45 AM »
Hi all. I got a couple of grafting knives on amazon, neither of which specified right or left handed. I assumed they would be right handed unless otherwise stated, since right handed things are usually the default and left handed things are usually the exception. They're both sharp, nice knives, but if I am cutting away from myself with my right hand the beveled side is down - isn't the flat side supposed to be down? I'm I supposed to be cutting towards myself? Or are these both left handed knives? If I have to buy a new knife, how can I find one that's definitely right handed but not at a bank-breaking price?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: grafting knife question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
That's a right handed knife. It's assumed that you're cutting towards yourself. Don't actually move the knife towards yourself though. Hold the knife steady and pull the scion away from yourself.

If you feel cutting  away from yourself is safer, get one that says left handed. It's a personal choice you have to make.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:09:42 AM by fyliu »

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 11:16:30 AM »
Wow ok. Bummer. I'll try practicing cutting towards myself to see if I can make that work, following your advice. But seems strange that cutting towards yourself is the assumption - in most videos I've seen the expert always cuts away, like whittling. Thanks for the help!

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
The two I bought are high carbon steel and they rust double quick if you don't keep them dry and oiled.
Regards,

Gary

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 12:53:28 PM »
I agree with the previous post regarding pulling the scion away.  I have found over time, that trying to slice with the knife (using the knife hand to deliver the force), as you would with a mango doesn't work so well  :-[  You kind of guide the knife while pulling the scion through as the knife is different and the wood is harder than fruit pulp. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »
Do you hold the knife with the blade towards you then?

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 10:32:59 PM »
That's a right handed knife. It's assumed that you're cutting towards yourself. Don't actually move the knife towards yourself though. Hold the knife steady and pull the scion away from yourself.

If you feel cutting  away from yourself is safer, get one that says left handed. It's a personal choice you have to make.

That surprised me too when I bought my grafting knife on Amazon.com.

I did some grafting today...  with the grafting knife cutting edge towards me.   :-[

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:33:45 PM »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 09:15:54 AM »
Love that video. Off topic - can that kind of bud graft be done on mango as well?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 02:31:13 AM »
You kind of guide the knife while pulling the scion through as the knife is different and the wood is harder than fruit pulp.
Exactly! Try to do it so you use the entire blade of the knife in the cut, so it's a slicing motion rather than just wedging the blade into the wood by force. You'll get a longer length cut that way.

Another trick with the knife hand is to do a motion like you're elbowing someone behind you. So that if the rootstock cuts too easily, your extra strength goes to the side rather than toward the core of your body. In my early grafting days there were a few close calls with high grafts with the blade coming towards my neck and nose. That was before I knew better.

Quite a few CRFGers like to teach the cutting-edge away from the body method because it's harder for beginners to get hurt that way. I'm not sure how they compare statistically. Of course you'd want a left-handed knife for that if you're right-handed.

But I think the pulling the scion away from you and pulling the knife to the side methods should keep you safe enough if you do decide to use the knife as intended.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 09:27:59 PM »
I'm surprised that nobody has said anything about using scalpels for grafting.  The blades are cheap and I don't think you can get a knife blade as sharp.  For me the handles are comfortable and I simply change out the very sharp, sterile blades every day if I want. 
Peter

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 02:48:26 AM »
Scalpel and Carlos' schick razor recommendation should work well for tropical grafting with soft wood. I'm not sure if they work as well for general grafting.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 06:30:47 AM »
I cut myself on the grafting knife (and a scion with blood on it is far from ideal=no takes) the first grafting class I attended.  If you are clumsy, be very careful with razor blades or scalpels.  I cringe to think how much worse it would've been if I was using something so sharp.  Just saying newbies to grafting should be very cautous when using razor blades to graft.  For experienced grafters like Carlos, Peter, etc, who do a lot of grafting at once, razor blades/scalpels seems to be preferred
~Jeff

joaave

• jujuy-argentina
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 06:49:29 PM »
Knife dont must be a profesional knife....can do it with a home knife...depend of the grafter habilities.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 10:21:54 PM »
I use cheap Home Depot box cutters with great results. I have various grafting and budding knives but the box cutters are very convenient and don't need to be sharpened.

Simon

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 07:37:50 AM »
Yeah, I've used box cutters too and maybe that would be my solution for harder wood than what I am mostly working with. I've also used artist type Exacto knives but the very small scalpel blade I get has a curved shape that seems to help prevent the blade from slipping on the surface.
Peter

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 11:43:01 AM »

Here's a photo of my knife.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »

Here's a photo of my knife.

for some grafts I'm sure those are great, but I would be afraid to use this knife for grafting mature jaboticaba scions, the blade does not appear to be large, or strong enough.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »
I'm using it with good success on avocado, durian, langsat, cacao, etc.
It's quite handy.
Peter

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »
I'm using it with good success on avocado, durian, langsat, cacao, etc.
It's quite handy.
Peter

I'm sure it would work well for most Annonas too...or any other species that you can graft with small (less than 1/2 caliper), or relatively soft wooded scions.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk